Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF or VE series 2

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
If you want something that looks and feels sporty and can live without a few goodies then get the VE2.
Evokes are pretty bland looking, but I gotta say they're a nice comfy car to drive.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ok thank you very much for all your replies. Just a couple of other questions. Do I need to be careful getting a white evoke as it may be an ex police vehicle?
It’s a possibility with any Australian-made Commodore, and they weren’t all white either!
It’s easy to tell, though, they put all sorts of nasty holes in the interior trim & plastics.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Average 12.1L per 100km on 98. I have probably way too much mechanical sympathy but that’s who I am.

You should be doing better than 12.1L/100 on consistent freeway driving with PULP98. My elderly VZ wagon, traded today and replaced with a VF Series II SV6 wagon, consistently recorded between 7.3 and 7.7L/100km, long-haul freeway driving, with 200,000km on the odo. These figures varied only by small amounts carrying cargo. A friend with a 2010 VE is getting 9.3L/100km driving from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga each week. Are you carrying a big or heavy load?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Average 12.1L per 100km on 98. I have probably way too much mechanical sympathy but that’s who I am.

You should be doing better than 12.1L/100 on consistent freeway driving (suburban driving will return the worst figures) with PULP98. My elderly VZ wagon, traded today and replaced with a VF Series II SV6 wagon, consistently recorded between 7.3 and 7.7L/100km, long-haul freeway driving, running PULP98 (since 2016) with 195,000km on the odo. These figures varied only by small amounts carrying cargo. A friend with a 2010 VE wagon is getting 9.3L/100km driving from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga each week. Clearly, driving type plays a role. Are you carrying a load?

ponyboynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Corolla
Thanks very much everyone.
Was probably going to get the ve sv6 but then I read about the timing chain issues. Is this a risk with the ve that is resolved with the vf?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks very much everyone.
Was probably going to get the ve sv6 but then I read about the timing chain issues. Is this a risk with the ve that is resolved with the vf?

No timing chain issues with the VF models; the VF was virtually a kit and caboodle resolution of everything picked up and worked on before it.
The chain issue was confined to a number of VE and VZ sedans and wagons, with chain replacement carried out under warranty when cars were covered by that bought new. Otherwise, a fairly costly hit to the pocket. I never had the timing chain issue with my now-traded off VZ Executive with the same 3.6 Alloytec as the VEs.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
We have both, She drives a 2011 SV6 Sedan, I'm driving a 2014 VF evoke LPG wagon.
we've had the SV6 since new and it gets an oil change every 10K km, 15K is too long. It's just ticked over 110k and no major issues to date. (Clockspring failed and one HVAC actuator failed), I have fitted the SS front disc and caliper brackets for better brakes though.
It is actually a nicer car IMHO than the VF evoke wagon - nicer seats, feels planted on the road, shifts later in the rev range, just nicer to be behind the wheel of.
The evoke is a good car too, the Mylink is better than the IQ, just. Rear camera is nice? Auto park is a nice gimmick, but i can have the car parked and get out before it's picked a suitable spot.
I could change the seats, fit FE2 suspension, etc etc, to get the Evoke to be as nice as the SV6, but i can't be bothered.
I wanted a VE11 SV6 wagon on LPG, but the VF wagon came at a good price.

Also, the Petrol VF evoke is the 3.0L, vs the 3.6L in the VE SV6.