Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Radio Changing source on engine stop.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I thought I'd share that problem I have had with my VF headunit. The problem is intermittent and I can't reproduce it on call. Basically if I am listening to music off a USB stick, I have had randomly when I turn off the engine the head unit turn to the radio. If I restart the engine before getting out of the car, the head unit goes back to playing from the USB. Holden updated my MyLink version a couple of days ago, so hopefully this will fix the problem. This video shows the problem.

asalsa6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore MY15
I thought I'd share that problem I have had with my VF headunit. The problem is intermittent and I can't reproduce it on call. Basically if I am listening to music off a USB stick, I have had randomly when I turn off the engine the head unit turn to the radio. If I restart the engine before getting out of the car, the head unit goes back to playing from the USB. Holden updated my MyLink version a couple of days ago, so hopefully this will fix the problem. This video shows the problem.

I have a similar issue and it has to do with my favourite radio stations that I have saved. Every so often, the favourites go away and are replaced by some others which I don't know where they come from. When I turn off the engine, the favourites come back. Again, it happens intermittently, so it's hard to pinpoint. The only thing that I can think might be common is that I have my fan/ac on. How about you, does it occur when your fan/ac is working?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I have a similar issue and it has to do with my favourite radio stations that I have saved. Every so often, the favourites go away and are replaced by some others which I don't know where they come from. When I turn off the engine, the favourites come back. Again, it happens intermittently, so it's hard to pinpoint. The only thing that I can think might be common is that I have my fan/ac on. How about you, does it occur when your fan/ac is working?

Are you using the same key each time? I think the favourites are linked to the key.

asalsa6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore MY15
Are you using the same key each time? I think the favourites are linked to the key.
Hi Chrisp, yes, definitely using the same key each time. Have even put in new battery in the key. I noticed it was doing this not long after the car was purchased. The issue is annoying, not a huge one. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
Mine changes back to its original list of FM Sydney stations in favourites within a few days each time I change them.

I sometimes listen to my Spotify playlist on my phone via Bluetooth. Sometimes to ABC local radio. If the latter was on when I last switched off the car, that's what I get on startup, but if I was listening to Bluetooth, it changes to a different FM station.

427LT5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SV300
Hi, Did you end up being able to solve your radio issues. Mine is reverting back to another list of saved radio favourites & loses other vehicle settings. Sometimes radio settings come back a week or so later. Weird.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I find that mine changes from the current FM station to USB if I slam the centre console lid, also sometimes when I sound the horn.

427LT5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SV300
I find that mine changes from the current FM station to USB if I slam the centre console lid, also sometimes when I sound the horn.

Hmm, that sounds like a connection issue or bad earth. I’ll try slamming my console and see if it causes my issue as well. I have always assumed it is a software/hardware glitch.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Strangely, I had the very same issue as the OP today. Started the ute and the radio came on, which I never listen to. I always have my USB music collection playing on random, or the MyLink system turned off. Changed source to USB but it couldn't find the thumb drive. Powered off MyLink and removed/replaced USB stick (was warming up car anyway so no rush). Powered on MyLink but still on radio and again couldn't find thumb drive when source directed to USB. Pulled thumb drive and plugged it back in while MyLink was powered up (playing radio) and it immediately switched to where it left off in previous song that was playing when I opened the door after turning ute off last night.
I had to repeat this (unplug/replug USB thumb drive while MyLink is playing Radio) again to get USB to play when ute had been stopped for 20-30 minutes after shopping at supermarket.
First time this has ever occured, no services or any touching of anything for past 5 months. The only thing I can think of is that the vehicle has been out in a lot of rain lately as the weather has been absolute shite and stormy up here in Northland off and on for weeks. Humidity.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
loss of connection to the USB does sound very plausible as a fault condition that may cause this.