Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Took my VF2 Calais V6 to the stealership today for a regular service. Just noticed on the invoice that they have used a different engine oil spec - 10W30 instead of 5W30 (recommended by Holden). Should I be worried?

I don't think so, for two reasons:
1. It could just be a typo on the invoice.
2. If they have used 10W30, the only difference is the oil will be slightly more viscous when cold. There will be no difference at normal running temperature. I don't think the slightly increased cold viscosity will affect engine wear to any perceptible extent.

I believe Holden specified 5W30 for two reasons. One is that finer manufacturing tolerances in modern engines (smaller gaps between moving parts) requires a lighter oil for cold starts. The other is that lighter oils reduce friction, improving the all-important fuel economy figures. However, as I stated previously, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. The most important thing in prolonging engine life is to change the oil and filter at the recommended intervals, or even earlier if you're that worried about it.

By way of comparison, I used to use 20W50 oils in the cold UK climate years ago, and didn't experience any problems with premature engine wear. But I made sure to service my vehicles on time.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Thank you guys. I will be calling them on Monday and seeking an explanation on this. Like @Skylarking said, they can very well use the typo/ paper work error. The thing is, a paper work error is unlikely given that the invoice gets printed based the consumables list is usually "selected" from a specific list rather than being typed in manually by some brain dead tech. I could be wrong here, but none of the current Holden cars seem to be using 10W30 spec.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Thank you guys. I will be calling them on Monday and seeking an explanation on this. Like @Skylarking said, they can very well use the typo/ paper work error. The thing is, a paper work error is unlikely given that the invoice gets printed based the consumables list is usually "selected" from a specific list rather than being typed in manually by some brain dead tech. I could be wrong here, but none of the current Holden cars seem to be using 10W30 spec.

They pulled out the most obvious trick - “I can assure yo7 that Suttons uses only Holden spec engine oil in our shop. But our CRM defaults to that value on the invoices. We can email you and updated invoice if you want.” :rolleyes:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Haha, typical... I’d have wanted a correct invoice printed then and there :rolleyes:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Took my VF2 Calais V6 to the stealership today for a regular service. Just noticed on the invoice that they have used a different engine oil spec - 10W30 instead of 5W30 (recommended by Holden). Should I be worried?

I had a similar experience at my first service .
Was told it was the default value when inv printed.
I believe that.
Each subsequent inv has been the same.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I had a similar experience at my first service .
Was told it was the default value when inv printed.
I believe that.
Each subsequent inv has been the same.

Just like when the have a list of jobs performed and one of them is rotate tyres from front to rear. Can't be done on the Redline and none of my cars have ever had this done and queried it a few times. They say it is standard. Hope they changed the sir clearer when required.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just like when the have a list of jobs performed and one of them is rotate tyres from front to rear. Can't be done on the Redline and none of my cars have ever had this done and queried it a few times. They say it is standard. Hope they changed the sir clearer when required.
Yes, sometimes they are mindless tick the box types :rolleyes: sometimes much worse o_O

Had one dealer service where they ticked the “checked tyre pressure” but the car pulled heavily to the left when leaving the dealer... that “checked tyre“ only had 10 psi in it :mad: Never went back to those idiots again ;)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
that “checked tyre“ only had 10 psi in it

How did you not notice it getting that low before it got to the dealers? Surely that's something you'd check regularly? Unless it was a larger puncture close to the time you took it in to them..?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did you not notice it getting that low before it got to the dealers? Surely that's something you'd check regularly? Unless it was a larger puncture close to the time you took it in to them..?
I could have been clearer but all my tyre pressures were ok as I filled up with fuel and check all tyres before heading to the dealers... Then on leaving the dealer, noticed the car pulling heavily to the left, so I pulled in to a service not far down the road and checked the tyres. Found one down to 10psi so checked for nails (found none) before pumping it up.

Obviously I went back to the dealer and politely ripped ripped into them... they took off all tyres and checked them for nails and signed of any other damage. Unfortunately they found no issues and had no explanation as to why/how it occurred.

So who knows what those clowns did for one tyre to end up an 10 psi o_O yet they ticked the box :mad:

I’m certain it was definitely them and not me ;):p

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So who knows what those clowns did for one tyre to end up an 10 psi o_O yet they ticked the box :mad:

That’s what I’m a little confused about, a ‘pressure check’ is just that, It involves nothing more than putting a gauge on the valve. How that equates to a 25+lb loss of PSI, without any foreign bodies causing damage, escapes me.

Not doubting what you are saying, but it’s odd to say the least.