Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Now for the next random question. (This seems to be my default setting these days).

Anyone got a Sportswagon with all 4 slimline window windows deflectors on it? How does it look?
I’m think of getting them on but I think I’ve only seen one wagon with them and it went past too quickly to get a good look. By the time it had registered that they were there… the car was gone. :)

I hate how those slimline things look period but that's me.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
And they get full of crap on the inside. My experience anyway.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'd ask whyfor the slimline wind deflectors ... aircon these days probably uses less juice than a wind-deflector plus an open window consumes for example.

PRNDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 and VH Vacationer 253
Just that I see plenty on other cars from my wife’s Astra and various Foresters and Outback’s. Think they look pretty good. I still spend plenty of time waiting around to pick up my kids from various places and it would be nice to have rather than essential to be able to open the windows a crack for a bit of air esp in a bit of light rain.

No one seen them then ?

Edit: plus I hope to keep this for a good while yet and note that I like the old classic Holdens with a collection of Nasco accessories. Some interesting or nice items in my car would be a plus imo.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hello everyone, I have a bit of quandary and please excuse if I am posting in the wrong place as I am new here. I had VZ but a truck decided to jump into my lane (without indicating) which meant I had to jump into the next lane or get cronched and that meant I had no time to brake and so I went right up the back end of another car and my baby was a write off. So, I am now looking at new cars and have settled on either an SV6 VE or an SV6 VF and while I love the look of the VE more I am wondering if it is better to go with a VF? Everyone here is so knowledgeable and honestly beyond key goes here and petrol goes there I know nothing about cars so any advice would be appreciated

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
hello everyone, I have a bit of quandary and please excuse if I am posting in the wrong place as I am new here. I had VZ but a truck decided to jump into my lane (without indicating) which meant I had to jump into the next lane or get cronched and that meant I had no time to brake and so I went right up the back end of another car and my baby was a write off. So, I am now looking at new cars and have settled on either an SV6 VE or an SV6 VF and while I love the look of the VE more I am wondering if it is better to go with a VF? Everyone here is so knowledgeable and honestly beyond key goes here and petrol goes there I know nothing about cars so any advice would be appreciated
VF without a doubt
It is just the better car
BTW sorry that you had the accident

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
VF without a doubt
It is just the better car
BTW sorry that you had the accident
thank you, it was the first accident I have been in as the driver since I started driving and it was terrifying. It was time to update the old VZ wagon (affectionately referred to as Hilda the Viking long car by my frens) but she was still good and had some life in her but she ended up going to the scrap yard instead of finding a new home.

My only concern with the VF is the electrics as every holden I have ever had has had issues with the electrics and the VF just has more of them

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you want reliability, in all areas mechanical and electrical, buy a 5 - 10 year old Toyota. Don’t buy a new Toyota as I hear the wheels fall off the new ones :p

Jokes aside, all newish cars have lots of complex electronics within them. It’s something you can’t get away from if you want the higher levels of safety modern cars provide.

I‘d go VF unless you really prefer the looks of the VE which should also be cheaper to buy. Just take note that, IIRC, early VE V6‘s had issues with stretched chains which was supposedly sorted in the later VE’s and definitely in the VF’s. Whichever way you go, check the vehicle service history well as these engines need good clean oil else they suffer if service intervals are stretched or skipped.

Also keep in mind there are more protections if you buy from a car dealer as compared to buying from an auction or private. From a car dealer you have both an ACL statutory warranty and a 3 month statutory used car warranty. With buying at auction or private you get no vehicle warranty other than any remaining factory warranty (if you buy one of the last of the VF’s which may have had a 7 year factory warranty).

You could always consider a ZB as they are supposed a good vehicle and the V6’s AWD quite a lot of car for the price (back in 2018/19. But that’s only if you can get over the commodore naming controversy that bothers some…

Ultimately the choice may end up being driven by budget constraint as you haven’t mentioned any $ figure your willing to spend.

Sadly now’s the worst time to be buying as used car prices are inflated because of new car supply issues. You may be surprised what a VZ wagon may cost these days so hopefully you did some price research before settlement if you had a market value insurance policy.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wouldn't get a ZB now, they're starting to get into the age where you probably don't want to own an Opel built by Renault & sold by a company in Australia which no longer exists. Even if relatively inexpensive for what you get. An Aurion or Accord is probably a better bet for that type of car.

I'd suggest test-driving the VE2 vs the VF & consider whether the extra "niceness" of the VF is worth the extra money. I don't think there's much in terms of reliability that's a particular shocker with one or the other; I wouldn't get a VE due to possible engine issues, but those will be fixed by the time you get to a VE2.

If expecting a statutory warranty, in NSW it wouldn't apply to anything over 10 years old, unsure about Victoria.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
If you want reliability, in all areas mechanical and electrical, buy a 5 - 10 year old Toyota. Don’t buy a new Toyota as I hear the wheels fall off the new ones :p

Jokes aside, all newish cars have lots of complex electronics within them. It’s something you can’t get away from if you want the higher levels of safety modern cars provide.

I‘d go VF unless you really prefer the looks of the VE which should also be cheaper to buy. Just take note that, IIRC, early VE V6‘s had issues with stretched chains which was supposedly sorted in the later VE’s and definitely in the VF’s. Whichever way you go, check the vehicle service history well as these engines need good clean oil else they suffer if service intervals are stretched or skipped.

Also keep in mind there are more protections if you buy from a car dealer as compared to buying from an auction or private. From a car dealer you have both an ACL statutory warranty and a 3 month statutory used car warranty. With buying at auction or private you get no vehicle warranty other than any remaining factory warranty (if you buy one of the last of the VF’s which may have had a 7 year factory warranty).

You could always consider a ZB as they are supposed a good vehicle and the V6’s AWD quite a lot of car for the price (back in 2018/19. But that’s only if you can get over the commodore naming controversy that bothers some…

Ultimately the choice may end up being driven by budget constraint as you haven’t mentioned any $ figure your willing to spend.

Sadly now’s the worst time to be buying as used car prices are inflated because of new car supply issues. You may be surprised what a VZ wagon may cost these days so hopefully you did some price research before settlement if you had a market value insurance policy.

Okay, so I am spending 20K or in the ballpark of that figure and am most definitely buying from a dealer as I want the statutory rights and protections that come with that; I may not know anything about cars but I definitely know a thing or two about consumer law.

I had heard about second hand car prices being inflated but honestly there is some genuinely good cars for 15-20K and for me I need a car not just for work but because I live in an area on the very edge of Melbourne where transport sucks and tbh having a car is a safety issue so I'll pay the extra I just really need some wheels.