Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

Spacejam

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SS ute
Hey, I'm about to buy some wheels and tires and I need some help with the fitment. At the moment I'm thinking about running staggered 20" wheel with 9" width in the front and 10 in the rear. I just don't know about offset and that if I could get some pictures of some of your setups for reference that would be awesome! Aswell as any suggestions thanks!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
That's the brake plug. The accelerator plug is high up on the right side of accelerator. It's hard to see and get to but that's the one you want. The one you pulled looks similar but as you say it won't line up.
All plugged in and working correctly now. Thanks again.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Hey, I'm about to buy some wheels and tires and I need some help with the fitment. At the moment I'm thinking about running staggered 20" wheel with 9" width in the front and 10 in the rear. I just don't know about offset and that if I could get some pictures of some of your setups for reference that would be awesome! Aswell as any suggestions thanks!

I was going to ask that same question. I will do some more searching in case this is covered somewhere else. I am pretty new to this forum.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire

Hello Paradox
Thank you for that link. That has been pretty helpful. Although the more you see the more confusing it gets. This may be a noob question and I am trying to do my own research and searching in the background.

Can anyone chime in and tell me what are the widest tyres that can be fitted onto the OEM HF20 (8.5 J Front and 9.0 J Rear) Holden gloss black 20 inch wheels I have on my SSV. At the moment they came supplied with 245/35 Bridgestones front and 275/30 Bridgestones rear. I have found some charts on the net but some of them indicate that 265mm is the widest on a 9.0 inch rim, and Holden fit a 275mm on their 9 inch rim. This makes me wonder if these charts are correct or some different standard. Appreciate any advice. Still learning.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Can anyone chime in and tell me what are the widest tyres that can be fitted onto the OEM HF20 (8.5 J Front and 9.0 J Rear) Holden gloss black 20 inch wheels I have on my SSV. At the moment they came supplied with 245/35 Bridgestones front and 275/30 Bridgestones rear. I have found some charts on the net but some of them indicate that 265mm is the widest on a 9.0 inch rim, and Holden fit a 275mm on their 9 inch rim. This makes me wonder if these charts are correct or some different standard. Appreciate any advice. Still learning.
I don’t know but just because some business sells you something, doesn’t make what they sold you legal on a road vehicle... So, some info in relation to what RMS accepts in terms of wheel mods may be an appropriate read...

PS: keep in mind that the Chevy SS forum is for vehicles in the USA and that in some US states they are afforded much more freedom in relation to modifications. We live in a country of nannies.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t know but just because some business sells you something, doesn’t make what they sold you legal on a road vehicle... So, some info in relation to what RMS accepts in terms of wheel mods may be an appropriate read...
And don't forget "model" isn't "trim level". If you care about this stuff, you might want to call the RMS's expert-line people.
Last time I asked the question, you could fit wheels to your Commodore Executive, without any certification or engineering, that were 1" wider than what HSV fitted to a GTS. Because HSV's are just Commodores, with the same suspension geometry & wheel arches etc.
The wording of that Vehicle Standards Information bulletin was exactly the same with respect to vehicle-model & sizing as the wording in the VSI that Skylarking just posted. However, the bulletin I was using back then was from 2003, this has been replaced by the one from 2019 that Skylarking referenced (and yet the wording regarding sizes is the same).
So ... if you care, I think it's worth getting clarity from the RMS's experts (not the nice lady behind the counter at the local RMS office - they used to have a 'phone number you could call for such things in order to get someone with a clue, and surely they must still have?).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

For NSW viewers, a very informative, plain English document worth reading.
But, it doesn't mention anything about alterations to the diameter of the rim, or profile of the tyres, unless it is part of 'speedometer accuracy'.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For NSW viewers, a very informative, plain English document worth reading.
But, it doesn't mention anything about alterations to the diameter of the rim, or profile of the tyres, unless it is part of 'speedometer accuracy'.
Good point; while the diameter of the wheel itself in NSW has been "anything goes" since at least the 80's, the overall tyre rolling-diameter wasn't previously allowed to vary by more/less than a number which I've forgotten.
You could be right, they may have rolled that up into "speedometer accuracy".

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And don't forget "model" isn't "trim level". If you care about this stuff, you might want to call the RMS's expert-line people.
Last time I asked the question, you could fit wheels to your Commodore Executive, without any certification or engineering, that were 1" wider than what HSV fitted to a GTS. Because HSV's are just Commodores, with the same suspension geometry & wheel arches etc.
The wording of that Vehicle Standards Information bulletin was exactly the same with respect to vehicle-model & sizing as the wording in the VSI that Skylarking just posted. However, the bulletin I was using back then was from 2003, this has been replaced by the one from 2019 that Skylarking referenced (and yet the wording regarding sizes is the same).
So ... if you care, I think it's worth getting clarity from the RMS's experts (not the nice lady behind the counter at the local RMS office - they used to have a 'phone number you could call for such things in order to get someone with a clue, and surely they must still have?).
The document i linked above seems outdated and will likely be revised again. For example, it states
  • You must not fit wheels with rim widths less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model.
Because of the stricter interpretation of model as “model variant”, I can’t replace the wider rear “staggered“ wheels to match the narrower fronts... The point is clarified in part by the fact that even the spare wheel which is exactly the same as the front wheels has a “temporary use” or “temporary wheel” sticker on it.

Today’s regulator and compliance terminology revolves around “model variant” which sadly isn’t the same as the older term “model”. Don’t get me started how one can write “model” in a document and then interpret it differently and in a much narrower sense, it’s just bureaucratic lunacy and stupidity really.

As is, in my case this “model variant” interpretation means an SS is different from an SSVRedline :confused: If model variant was interpreted the same as model was in the past, then it wouldn’t be an issue swapping any wheels available in the broader VF range, whether it’s wider or narrower... but I can’t,... Holden said I can’t,... DOTARS technical group said I can’t,... rego authorities also said I can’t... Haven’t talked to a certifying engineer but it shouldn’t be needed if things were logical.

Regulators said it was more complicated because of ABS/EBD/ESC but Holden could update the RVD and be done with it... Dealing with Holden was very frustrating as they said it was bla bla bla engineering bla bla bla and just wanted to fob me off, then when pushed all they DOD is provide a letter to state I can install 19” staggered rims... idiots...

End result of this dive down the rabbit hole was that I’d have to talk to an engineer and get them to “engineer“ the narrower standard SS wheels by presumably taking my car out for a fang after I hand over a wad of cash.