Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Redline MY17 TPMS differences?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Not having seen the TPMS in the flesh, is it poosible to replace the battery in 10 years time or does Holden use Apple design methods on it hope for continued sales?
You know you're Motorsport has it right?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You know you're Motorsport has it right?
Yeah I know my Motorsport has them but I my super man X-ray eyes stopped working years ago and now I wear glasses :rolleyes:

So it’s the part inside the wheel i’m interested and how the battery is installed within the case. The pictures i’ve seen on the web don’t show the detail of how it’s constructed and don’t want to unmount the tyre just to have a look.

M

mwb235

I am interested in this too. Just did a quick google search and the first result is this one (reckons it can’t be done):
http://www.tirereview.com/changing-tpms-sensor-batteries/

BUT heaps of the other google results suggest it can be done. Basically you need to melt the “potting material”, replace & resolder battery, then seal it all up with silicone (or something like that).

If (or when if I have car long enough) one of my sensors go flat I might look into it then.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah I know my Motorsport has them but I my super man X-ray eyes stopped working years ago and now I wear glasses :rolleyes:

So it’s the part inside the wheel i’m interested and how the battery is installed within the case. The pictures i’ve seen on the web don’t show the detail of how it’s constructed and don’t want to unmount the tyre just to have a look.
Just checking...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am interested in this too. Just did a quick google search and the first result is this one (reckons it can’t be done):
http://www.tirereview.com/changing-tpms-sensor-batteries/

BUT heaps of the other google results suggest it can be done. Basically you need to melt the “potting material”, replace & resolder battery, then seal it all up with silicone (or something like that).

If (or when if I have car long enough) one of my sensors go flat I might look into it then.
The linked article’s comments are an especially interesting read ;)

When I bought my MSE, I honestly didn’t care much about TPMS but expected it would use inductive coupling to provide the little power the sensors needed to do their job for the life of the vehicle. Sadly I was disappointed that each TPMS sensor had a battery that needed periodic replacement. Oddly I don’t remember any statement being made to that effect with the owner documentation.

And Holden charge a stupid replacement price for what could have been designed in a way where a tyre fitter pops the old battery out and drops in a new one whenever the tyres are replaced... dollars instead of hundreds... yeah for Holden minimising their customers servicing costs.

As it stands now, it looks like anywhere from 5 to 12 years I will have to sort out TPMS sensors as they will die AND Holden will argue it’s an (undocumented) service item and thus not within my 7 year warranty. Atleast, hopefully, replacement costs won’t be BMW or Mercedes money (after all that was the attraction of Holden’s, they were great value for money).

As I don’t like having features that don’t work, guess it’s something to be resolved in future when the sensors give up...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi , due to this thread , it has spurred some interest in having this feature in my car , but the expense for the factory feature seems once again a bit high when after market TPSM are a lot cheaper and have replaceable battery's .

My question is , if anyone knows , is it possible just to use these much cheaper , with replaceable battery's sensors , in conjunction with the in car system .
From a quick look at ebay they even appear to be external which also saves on installation costs .

I do understand that cheap generally mean's lack of quality but for the price of the genuine product you could replace an after market system in its entirety 5 times let alone just change the battery

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Other than buying some aftermarket sensor and trying it within a commodore VF, there is no way to know if it will work unless the seller guarantees it...

Sadly, little functional or technical information seems to be provided on our TPMS other than how to associate (program) it to the vehicle. Workshop manuals are more focused on fault diagnosis to a replaceable spare part level. Owner, technician or anyone else for that matter does not need to know the finer points of how things work - just hand over money when things go wrong and shut up is today’s business model.

M

mwb235

...Owner, technician or anyone else for that matter does not need to know the finer points of how things work - just hand over money when things go wrong and shut up is today’s business model.

Exactly

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
At a rough guess you would program them similar to how you would pair a garage door remote or even a keyless/door lock remote as long as the frequency is correct , I did see some cheap $70 systems that ran at 433.92mhz with external sensors with replaceable battery's