Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Redline power upgrade

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by noboot, Mar 26, 2014.

1. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Oztrack used to be a Walkinshaw agent but aren't anymore and I wanted to do the W310 because of driveline warranty but if I go with Oztrack who are cheaper and do the same work and infact used to be an agent I lose warranty and pay less.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    That's just the commercial reality of the deal between Holden and Walkinshaw. But if Austrack did the same tune as the Walky 310, and it's documented I can's see how Holden could legally deny warranty claims for any driveline component, unless they could prove the failure was a direct result in part or in full of the tune. Just IMO.

3. Flukey

Flukey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Walkinshaw has a commercial arrangement with Holden which is why their gear is warranted. Oztrack don't so it won't be.

4. kingyinperth

kingyinperth New Member

Members Ride:
    VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
    not being a smartass but these contradicting comments have me confused? is oztrack cheaper or dearer firstly? i'll assume cheaper.Pretty unlikely that the work would affect the driveline at all,however its your call on that peace of mind factor mate.As for if there were claims if something did go tits up,i know where id rather be door knocking given walky back onto the standard holden warranty.

How much is the difference ill guess at around a grand or so? Formulatech in Perth who are a walky authorised installer do side stuff without the backup "warranty".Also think its cheaper by a decent amount of coin.

5. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Just to give some perspective, the W310 tune can be replicated if not bettered by many pro tune shops with a plastic trumpet OTR and changing the mufflers (catback), plus judicious changes to the (MAF) tune. Too easy, zero risk of claim denial if lodged with the assistance of a professional workshop.
    Realistically if you throw a lifter because of a cam install, you are relying on the pro shop, throw a lifter with an OTR you will also rely on advice from pro shop to assist with your claim. But understand this is in essence a different air filter and muffler package with lots of hoo-ha and stickers thrown in, which in terms of available engineered modifications is extremely mild.
    As a side note I bet my warranty on OzTrack, and post-warranty I still rely on its advice, results, and tune file updates via email are a real bonus as your needs and tune progress too. By comparison Walkinshaw is a branded corporate franchise plan leveraging the premise you pay for their insurance cover. Think if it were not a car but a baby care plan you were considering, your choice is between a home doctor on a first name basis versus a coloufully branded special offer on a flyer in the mail. If you are xenophobic and into paperwork then all you need do is read the fine print on the promo, fill your credit card details, tear out the 'gold warranty' coupon card for peace of mind and book it in. However the personal approach is more real, flexible and costs a great deal less for better results. Or at least you can haggle.
    Diff'rent strokes I guess.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. kingyinperth

kingyinperth New Member

Members Ride:
    VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
    Holden will be biased so not much point in calling them for advice.
    PIR4TE,did not know you had oztrack stuff going on with your Vagon? learn something new every day buster :yarr:

7. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Yeah on-call pro tuner and remote diagnostic service via OBD dongle is very handy. Had tuning prior and since, these guys are up to speed / lead with AFM, e85, and T43 tweaks, easiest mob to get right down to brass tacks.

8. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
  9. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Sorry my bad Oztrack are cheaper at around $1500

10. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    Interesting analogy Pir4te.
    I agree with you re the value of the Walky W310 package in isolation. But the warranty deal is one cleaver bit of marketing.
    BTW what does a phobia of Asians have to do with tuning Commy's? I suspect this has something to do with Oztrack, but I'm genuinely unsure? Your wit and crypticism have beaten me this time DP :idea:

11. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Xenos is the people outdoors, not all are Asian silly! People too scared to move from their comfort zone, to interact and explore the wild. Belts and braces so their pants don't fall down, etc.

12. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    Lol, right you are.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  13. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Well I have made up my mind and the Walkinshaw W310 is the way I'll go purely because of the warranty for piece of mind. Hopefully Friday 11th April is the day it all gets done. Then maybe a supercharger later on if finances allow.

14. Foggsy

Foggsy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Sedan M6
    If your heart is set on Walky upgrades because of the driveline warranty, go all the way and spend $18,990 which will get you the W457 pack which is their OTR, supercharger, full exhaust drive in and drive out including full driveline warranty! This may sound an outrageous suggestion however once you get your W310 pack done for $6500, a month later you will want more so you will start looking at cam's and the like (no driveline warranty) and a better tune so just bit the bullet and go all the way to start with LOL!!! only a lazy 19 grand LOL.....

15. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Yes I realise that and I have more or less thought the exact same thing but while its under warranty I won't do anymore than the W310 even though I'd love to go all out today. But the W457 is definitely on the horizon once warranty is gone.

16. PSI.77

PSI.77 New Member

W457 is great. Everyone should have one.

17. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    I take donations if people feel the need to give lol.

I can only imagine how it feels the first time you drive it after that upgrade.

18. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    Are donations above $2 tax deductible?

19. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Not by me lol I need every cent I can get. I'll let you take it for a fang though.

20. noboot

noboot New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Sedan
    Well I got the W310 fitted and just got home and man is it great. Like driving a brand new car but I asked for the OTR but they fitted the side mount air box so I have to wait for the boss to get back to get the OTR.

On holidays now for two weeks and I will be driving the car heaps.