Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Redline power upgrade

noboot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sedan
Oztrack used to be a Walkinshaw agent but aren't anymore and I wanted to do the W310 because of driveline warranty but if I go with Oztrack who are cheaper and do the same work and infact used to be an agent I lose warranty and pay less.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
That's just the commercial reality of the deal between Holden and Walkinshaw. But if Austrack did the same tune as the Walky 310, and it's documented I can's see how Holden could legally deny warranty claims for any driveline component, unless they could prove the failure was a direct result in part or in full of the tune. Just IMO.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Walkinshaw has a commercial arrangement with Holden which is why their gear is warranted. Oztrack don't so it won't be.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Oztrack used to be a Walkinshaw agent but aren't anymore and I wanted to do the W310 because of driveline warranty but if I go with Oztrack who are cheaper and do the same work and infact used to be an agent I lose warranty and pay more.

What are people's thoughts on this?

not being a smartass but these contradicting comments have me confused? is oztrack cheaper or dearer firstly? i'll assume cheaper.Pretty unlikely that the work would affect the driveline at all,however its your call on that peace of mind factor mate.As for if there were claims if something did go tits up,i know where id rather be door knocking given walky back onto the standard holden warranty.

How much is the difference ill guess at around a grand or so? Formulatech in Perth who are a walky authorised installer do side stuff without the backup "warranty".Also think its cheaper by a decent amount of coin.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Just to give some perspective, the W310 tune can be replicated if not bettered by many pro tune shops with a plastic trumpet OTR and changing the mufflers (catback), plus judicious changes to the (MAF) tune. Too easy, zero risk of claim denial if lodged with the assistance of a professional workshop.
Realistically if you throw a lifter because of a cam install, you are relying on the pro shop, throw a lifter with an OTR you will also rely on advice from pro shop to assist with your claim. But understand this is in essence a different air filter and muffler package with lots of hoo-ha and stickers thrown in, which in terms of available engineered modifications is extremely mild.
As a side note I bet my warranty on OzTrack, and post-warranty I still rely on its advice, results, and tune file updates via email are a real bonus as your needs and tune progress too. By comparison Walkinshaw is a branded corporate franchise plan leveraging the premise you pay for their insurance cover. Think if it were not a car but a baby care plan you were considering, your choice is between a home doctor on a first name basis versus a coloufully branded special offer on a flyer in the mail. If you are xenophobic and into paperwork then all you need do is read the fine print on the promo, fill your credit card details, tear out the 'gold warranty' coupon card for peace of mind and book it in. However the personal approach is more real, flexible and costs a great deal less for better results. Or at least you can haggle.
Diff'rent strokes I guess.

Last edited:

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Holden will be biased so not much point in calling them for advice.
PIR4TE,did not know you had oztrack stuff going on with your Vagon? learn something new every day buster :yarr:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
did not know you had oztrack stuff going on with your Vagon? learn something new every day buster :yarr:

Yeah on-call pro tuner and remote diagnostic service via OBD dongle is very handy. Had tuning prior and since, these guys are up to speed / lead with AFM, e85, and T43 tweaks, easiest mob to get right down to brass tacks.

noboot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sedan
not being a smartass but these contradicting comments have me confused? is oztrack cheaper or dearer firstly? i'll assume cheaper.Pretty unlikely that the work would affect the driveline at all,however its your call on that peace of mind factor mate.As for if there were claims if something did go tits up,i know where id rather be door knocking given walky back onto the standard holden warranty.

How much is the difference ill guess at around a grand or so? Formulatech in Perth who are a walky authorised installer do side stuff without the backup "warranty".Also think its cheaper by a decent amount of coin.

Sorry my bad Oztrack are cheaper at around $1500

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Interesting analogy Pir4te.
I agree with you re the value of the Walky W310 package in isolation. But the warranty deal is one cleaver bit of marketing.
BTW what does a phobia of Asians have to do with tuning Commy's? I suspect this has something to do with Oztrack, but I'm genuinely unsure? Your wit and crypticism have beaten me this time DP :idea:

Just to give some perspective, the W310 tune can be replicated if not bettered by many pro tune shops with a plastic trumpet OTR and changing the mufflers (catback), plus judicious changes to the (MAF) tune. Too easy, zero risk of claim denial if lodged with the assistance of a professional workshop.
Realistically if you throw a lifter because of a cam install, you are relying on the pro shop, throw a lifter with an OTR you will also rely on advice from pro shop to assist with your claim. But understand this is in essence a different air filter and muffler package with lots of hoo-ha and stickers thrown in, which in terms of available engineered modifications is extremely mild.
As a side note I bet my warranty on OzTrack, and post-warranty I still rely on its advice, results, and tune file updates via email are a real bonus as your needs and tune progress too. By comparison Walkinshaw is a branded corporate franchise plan leveraging the premise you pay for their insurance cover. Think if it were not a car but a baby care plan you were considering, your choice is between a home doctor on a first name basis versus a coloufully branded special offer on a flyer in the mail. If you are xenophobic and into paperwork then all you need do is read the fine print on the promo, fill your credit card details, tear out the 'gold warranty' coupon card for peace of mind and book it in. However the personal approach is more real, flexible and costs a great deal less for better results. Or at least you can haggle.
Diff'rent strokes I guess.