Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Redline Series 2 - Buying Tips

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi All
Its come time for me to purchase a VF SS Redline. Been looking at 2015/16 series 2.
I have a bit of mechanical knowledge however before I go and hand over my hard earned can people here give me a list of things to look out for on the VF Redlines.
Spoke to my mechanic and he said the LS3 cant really be faulted however due to buying second hand can you tell if the last owner has thrashed the clappers out of it?
Any other tips and things to lookout for would be very much appreciated
Cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You can try to 'thrash the clappers' out of an LS3, maybe on a track day car?
If you try and do it on Melbourne streets, you'll end up spending a lot of time riding public transport.
With a much lighter wallet...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi All
Its come time for me to purchase a VF SS Redline. Been looking at 2015/16 series 2.
I have a bit of mechanical knowledge however before I go and hand over my hard earned can people here give me a list of things to look out for on the VF Redlines.
Spoke to my mechanic and he said the LS3 cant really be faulted however due to buying second hand can you tell if the last owner has thrashed the clappers out of it?
Any other tips and things to lookout for would be very much appreciated
Cheers
When test driving insist on cold start test in the morning and listen for any unusual engine noise. Some ls3 engine suffer from infamous piston slap aka excess piston to bore clearance.

Also check the service history !!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Might it also be worth keeping an eye out for a Gen-F Clubbie, even an R8?
There are always a few around with ridiculously low km's, given that people often buy a big thirsty car for weekend duties only.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Might it also be worth keeping an eye out for a Gen-F Clubbie, even an R8?
There are always a few around with ridiculously low km's, given that people often buy a big thirsty car for weekend duties only.

I'll second this. I was initially looking for a VFII redline, but ended up going with a low km VF R8 instead. The noise coming from the engine and the interior were more preferable to me, plus it came in a better colour.
Watch out for the insurance though, that extra 36kW bumped up the premium quite a bit...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Im just waiting for that cheap LSA to come up. you know that unicorn thats 2/3 of the going $ that is low k and is still in waranty.

There is a 457rkw maloo for a hair under $70 at the moment. wonder if theyll drop $20

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Im just waiting for that cheap LSA to come up. you know that unicorn thats 2/3 of the going $ that is low k and is still in waranty.

There is a 457rkw maloo for a hair under $70 at the moment. wonder if theyll drop $20

There's a couple of 2015 GTS Maloo's on there one with 130kms and one with 13kms. You've gotta wonder whether having the car garaged up and not driven for four years is really any good for them. I don't do massive kms in mine, far from it, but I'm a firm believer that cars need to be driven regularly to keep everything moving as it should.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Ive always been a HSV fan however it's a bit of a price increase between the Redline and the Clubsport R8. 10+K.
Does the Clubsport have everything the Redline does, heads up display, gps, rear camera etc etc
Cheers

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
heads up display, gps, rear camera etc etc
Cheers
GENF came standard with all those features.
Not sure on launch control and brake setup is obviously different (AP over brembo).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Don't know if they had sunroof as standard.