Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Release date?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
There's been plenty of talk of HSV bringing out the LS7. See what happens. And Hussy as far as ford copying other car manufacturers, what else were they supposed to do? Invent a whole new system of forced induction? They really only had three options and turbo was the best. And the SV6 doesn't "smash" the xr6 but it does beat it in the tests that I've seen, still though it's pretty close.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
And the SV6 doesn't "smash" the xr6 but it does beat it in the tests that I've seen, still though it's pretty close.

in what tests? id like to see a 0-60km one.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
in what tests? id like to see a 0-60km one.

MOTOR

XR6

0-100km/h 6.76s
100km/h-0 41.58m
400m - 14.87 @ 154.48km/h
Fuel Consumption on test - 13.7l/100km (kerb weight 1728kg)

SV6

0-100km/h 6.46s
100km/h-0 38.42m
400m - 14.62 @ 157.28
Fuel consumption on test - 13.4l/100km (kerb weight 1736)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I heard its gonna be a dual stage turbo setup, so presumably one turbo will give you top end, and a smaller turbo for low down power. If its got good enough torque characteristics It could potentially match or beat a single turbo XR6 with a higher peak power figure. This has been in the pipeline for years tho, so who knows if we will ever find out

It will more than likely be the same set up as they used for the 2.6TT Allotec that was installed in to Saab's a few years back, a better system but more expensive would have been a variable vein turbo and was more about better fuel economy than power (ie Volkswagen's S/C T/C 1.4Ltr motors with 2.0Ltr power and 1.4 fuel economy).

If Holden are so great why dont they bring out a s/c V8?

Walkinshaw do the super charging and by far out power the FPV's and Walkinshaw are another part of Holden's performance division which is why it's all covered under warranty by Holden.

As for Holden their V6 and when they had superchargers, they were V6 S/C. They could have had V6 Turbo but i believe they wanted to be different. HENCE S/C

I'm not sure how long you've been into cars but before the Ecotec S/C motor Buick made a turbo set up (only single but still a turbo) of the early model V6's.

Last edited:

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
MOTOR

XR6

0-100km/h 6.76s
100km/h-0 41.58m
400m - 14.87 @ 154.48km/h
Fuel Consumption on test - 13.7l/100km (kerb weight 1728kg)

SV6

0-100km/h 6.46s
100km/h-0 38.42m
400m - 14.62 @ 157.28
Fuel consumption on test - 13.4l/100km (kerb weight 1736)

thats suprizing! thanks for that man.
Holden Commodore SV6 vs Ford Falcon XR6
another good read.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
this may be a cardinal sin to post in the VE section, but does anyone know when the VF is going to be released?

i just know it would burn me if i upgraded my car to a series 2 and then the VF came out 6 months later...

The VF is due for release sometime during 2013, probably during the second half of the year.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
yeah read that one, really shows how close they are and in the real world differences do emerge. I've heard of some people having shocking economy whilst some get great. Really comes down to alot of variables.

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
I'd just like to say I've enjoyed the lulz in this thread.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD SAY THAT :D

with the VLs , NISSAN GAVE US THEIR ENGINES TO PUT IN OUR SHELLS. We didnt go and make a RB for the car. And they sold it as holden with NISSAN ENGINE IN IT. so yeah :)

Gees, I wish you guys would get your facts straight about Holden history instead of sprouting off half-correct information.

Nissan didn't "give" Holden anything. Unleaded fuel regulations were due to be introduced in mid 1986 and Holden knew the old black six could not be upgraded effectively to run on unleaded. The Holden engineers had to search the world for a suitable sized engine for the next model Commodore, which was to be called "VL", and was to comply with the unleaded regulations. The RB30 was the most suitable and most cost-effective alternative available at the time (this was around 1983-84). Another alternative that was considered was the Buick V6, but it was considered to be too old to put into a new car, as it had been in production for many years already, and the cost difference between the Nissan and Buick engines was not very much. The Nissan engine had the advantage of being more modern as well.

By the time the VL was released, the exchange rate between the Japanese Yen and the Australian Dollar had altered significantly, to Holden's detriment and the RB30 was no longer the cheap alternative it had been. That's one reason why the VL was the only model to run the Nissan engine. When development of the VN commenced, it was obvious that another engine was required and Holden was forced to go back to the Buick V6 because of the cost and its superior torque characteristics, which better suited the heavier VN.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
yeah read that one, really shows how close they are and in the real world differences do emerge. I've heard of some people having shocking economy whilst some get great. Really comes down to alot of variables.

if it were me id be leaning towards a VE SV6 ute anyway, as i prefer the shape. whats the point of having a fast car if you dont like to look at it?

edit: thats if all the V8s in the world blew up