Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf resirculate and air conditioner.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Hi all sorry if this has been addressed before but is it normal when i put the climate control on the air coditioner compressor starts , why ? Is there any way to turn it off , also the light for the airconditioner does not light up during the resirculation but i know it is on . I have a vf calais . Cheers

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
To turn off the A/C, I need to turn both knobs to LO, ensure all lights are off on knobs, ac switch, foot/face options etc, press/rotate fan speed button to turn fan off, then turn back on to adjust desired fan speed sans ac. True story.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hi all sorry if this has been addressed before but is it normal when i put the climate control on the air coditioner compressor starts , why ? Is there any way to turn it off , also the light for the airconditioner does not light up during the resirculation but i know it is on . I have a vf calais . Cheers
I think the AC comes on recirculate mode. I know it does in the Melbourne tunnels. It is programmed that way.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The HVAC system in our VF's is a complex climate control system that automatically conditions the duct outlet temperature to that set on the rotating temperature dials.

The system itself uses temperature sensors in the air ducts to measure what is being delivered. Using these and other sensors, along with some clever algorithm, the system turns the AC compressor ON and OFF as required while also adjusting the position of the air temperature actuator as required. This has the effect of blending cooled dry air with heated air giving us a conditioned outlet air stream at our desired temperature. Obviously heated air is produced via the little under dash radiator using the engine coolant always flowing through it.

Supposedly the system also chooses which ducts to send this conditioned air out from so as to create the optimal cabin temperature when in "automatic mode". The mode actuator is used to select the appropriate ductwork for the conditioned air stream.

You can also manually select the desired airflow by pressing one of those button with the nice airflow pictograms on. Doing so supposedly results in the system reverting to a "semi automatic mode" rather than fully "automatic mode".

So, it's complex as to which ducts the conditioned air is sent out from, and at what temperature, as it depends on many things. For example, selecting "Front demist" obviously results in AC being ON so dry heated air is created and sent up the windscreen to pull mositure from it, regradless if the system has not been set to "automatic mode".

I haven't played much with my HVAC as my VF is not a daily. Suffice to say i have it in "automatic mode" (where button on the bottom portion of the drivers side rotaing dial has auto LED light up) and in "single zone mode" (where passengers rotating dial has zone LED off). With such setting, the system takes care of all that is needed to control the outlet air temperature to what i have selected.

Suposedly pressing the drivers rotating dial so that the auto LED is OFF would provide a "manual mode" but it's not well described in the owners manaul and it doesn't sound like it's a truely manual mode in any case.. I think full manaul mode is limited to fan speed with only some of the airflow pictograms.

Being heavily automated, with no easy way to ensure AC stays OFF, you'd think the "afterblow" feature would be selectable within the MyLink configuration page so the owner can decide when to activate it should things start to sell musty. Currently you need a trip to the service department to have this done and it's then the feature is always active all year round (putting undue load on the battery when it may not be needed)...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Hopefully you digested the other parts of my post in which case I hope you have a slightly better understanding of the climate control system in our VF’s (and that having full manual control of the aircon is not given in all cases).

But the comment about the afterblow feature was more a dig at Holden’s poor climate system and UI design capabilities rather than a question of whether you have it activated by service or not.

All afterblow does is continues running the fan to push air through the aircon radiator under your dash after turning off your car (under some conditions). This is done to dry out the radiator (evaporator actually) so that mold does not grow. Generally this is not an issue in dryer climates so the feature doesn’t need to be active all year round... but it’s an all or nothing dealer configured feature!

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I know my VF, in auto mode for the A/C, will never select to have the air to re-circulate. Even though it says that the circulation is in auto, it is always set to suck in air from the outside.