Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sat nav upgrade

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
My dealer told me the other day the last sat nav map upgrade was in 2018. I asked about getting it for my 2017 SV6 but he said aftermarket upgrades would soon be available now that Holden's gone. I wouldn't mind just getting the upgrade, even through it'll still be out of date. Other than upgrading with an Alpine, has anybody found any solutions to this?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If you're asking whether anyone posting in this forum has found a way to get new not-Holden maps into the VF's MyLink; the answer is "no".

The only alternatives people have found are add-on boxes to connect to other things, or things which completely replace the entire head-unit & screen.

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
Thanks Forg. Was the latest mylink map/software upgrade to your knowledge in 2018 as well?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@XML, the dealer seems like a lazy shite that can't be bothered sorting out your request.

The latest maps version data is a “84160883 Version 30.12.10.11“ as show within MyLink itself.
This map data is a 2018 release which in real terms means the map data is probably from 2016 or 2017.

I complained to Holden Customer Care that when buying a new vehicle, it should come with latest available firmware fixes and feature upadtes, maps included. As such they agreed and offered a gratis map updates to the latest available, offer valid for a year. So i waited until early 2019 but the last map update was the above which i had installed on Holdens dime since i was continually told no new maps coming.... And none have...

So, I'd give HCC a call and discuss why the firmware wasn't updated during delaler delivery when the car gets a once over to make sure everything is correct, otr is it just an overpried car wash.... They should provide a gratis map update that your recalcitrant dealer will them install.

As for aftermarket, nothing fully replaces the Mylink features, especially HUD intergration so why spend $1000's?

Reactions: XML

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I have an Android 8" tablet under the front passenger seat which I use for navigating. The Google map data and directions are very accurate, and unfortunately much clearer to following than the native MyLink maps. Outdated maps, especially of city and satellite suburbs, will be a very big turn-off for future prospective buyers of Holdens of any persuasion. My VF maps do not show anything of the 2017-onward satellite suburbs around Torquay, and especially those along the Surf Coast Highway out of Geelong, all growing and spreading out at an astonishing rate. Google shows everything though. Brutal reminder of how Holden and GM has left everybody in the lurch.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
@XML, the dealer seems like a lazy shite that can't be bothered sorting out your request.

The latest maps version data is a “84160883 Version 30.12.10.11“ as show within MyLink itself.
This map data is a 2018 release which in real terms means the map data is probably from 2016 or 2017.

I complained to Holden Customer Care that when buying a new vehicle, it should come with latest available firmware fixes and feature upadtes, maps included. As such they agreed and offered a gratis map updates to the latest available, offer valid for a year. So i waited until early 2019 but the last map update was the above which i had installed on Holdens dime since i was continually told no new maps coming.... And none have...

So, I'd give HCC a call and discuss why the firmware wasn't updated during delaler delivery when the car gets a once over to make sure everything is correct, otr is it just an overpried car wash.... They should provide a gratis map update that your recalcitrant dealer will them install.

As for aftermarket, nothing fully replaces the Mylink features, especially HUD intergration so why spend $1000's?

Asked my dealers service department about the 2018 update prior to booking it in for a service.
The manager rang later that day to say it wasn't needed, as it was an update for the version prior to what I had loaded when built in late Sept. '17.
Cant fault their customer service.

Reactions: XML

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the middleman box is the best idea if you dont want some ugly ass aftermarket thing in the dash.
you can retain the original look of the vehicle and add carplay/android auto which will have the latest maps that your phone can obtain.

one big thing i would want with any of these kits would be wireless android auto/carplay so you do not need to plug the phone in every time.

envyous customs does a vf kit for $1000 and from the feedback i have seen it looks to be decent.

kayhan are offering a vf kit for $800 but we dont know if it is any good.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
but he said aftermarket upgrades would soon be available now that Holden's gone.
i just cant see it happening.

if we are just talking map updates, someone at holden would first have to deliver an "unlocked" firmware for that to be allowed.
and if holden isnt here, then no ones going to be doing it

also what company is going to want to start supporting a car that old (import road etc aside)

JamesNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SSV Redline
the middleman box is the best idea if you dont want some ugly ass aftermarket thing in the dash.
you can retain the original look of the vehicle and add carplay/android auto which will have the latest maps that your phone can obtain.

one big thing i would want with any of these kits would be wireless android auto/carplay so you do not need to plug the phone in every time.

envyous customs does a vf kit for $1000 and from the feedback i have seen it looks to be decent.

kayhan are offering a vf kit for $800 but we dont know if it is any good.

I put the Import Road (www.importroad.com.au) unit into my Series 1 SSV-Redline and its been great. I'm New Zealand based so Luca from Import Road couriered the units over to me from Sydney during Covid lockdown.
It's two slim boxes and a cabling wire loom (I think that's from envyous) that you install in the dash by the glovebox, next to where the passenger leg is (but behind the plastic). These two boxes are basically mini computers, one is the brains of the solution with an operating system that runs android auto or Apple CarPlay, the other unit takes touch control of the Mylink screen so you can use touch when using Android Auto / CarPlay.

Its completely invisible to the Mylink system, that works just as it did from the factory so full functionality there, with radio, rear camera, HUD etc but if you double tap the audio mute button on the steering wheel or hold your finger on the top left of the Mylink screen it flicks over to the Import Road system. That gives you full CarPlay etc and to get sound you just flick to the 'Aux Input'.
If I'm carplaying and turn the aircon knob it flicks back to Mylink for a few seconds, and If I go into reverse it flicks to the holden camera and then back to CarPlay when I go into drive; so you don't lose any functionality.

I use Apple and can either use USB or wireless (bluetooth) connection to that system. I've used it since July last year and its been faultless, you have direct access to whatever map app you want (google maps, Apple Maps, Waze, HereWeGo (who incidentally are the mapping software people Holden got Mylink maps off)) and of course any other apple / android app that's compatible with Android Auto or CarPlay...Spotify, podcasts etc.

Install for me took about 4 hours...but I'm no auto electrician..., you do need to remove the Mylink screen, headunit and the aircon button unit so you can plug the new wiring looms in, but the instructions are very detailed and support from Import Road is first rate.
There is a couple of gotchas though, as its via Aux there is no forward/back of music tracks via the steering wheel, you need to touch the screen to move to the next song. And with Series 1 VF's there was an Aux, with Series 2 you need to get your Mylink programed to enable it. Thats why there is a $200 diff between the S1 and S2 kits.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 636

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Wow
That sounds really goid
Thank you for posting