Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF sat nav upgrade

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
Thanks @JamesNZ I'm super reluctant to change the face and remove any of the Holden hardware, so that's definitely worth checking out.

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
Thanks @Skylarking Yeah, they love an excuse to put you off the scent. I'll ask a few more questions but first check what version the map is.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I put the Import Road (www.importroad.com.au) unit into my Series 1 SSV-Redline and its been great. I'm New Zealand based so Luca from Import Road couriered the units over to me from Sydney during Covid lockdown.
It's two slim boxes and a cabling wire loom (I think that's from envyous) that you install in the dash by the glovebox, next to where the passenger leg is (but behind the plastic). These two boxes are basically mini computers, one is the brains of the solution with an operating system that runs android auto or Apple CarPlay, the other unit takes touch control of the Mylink screen so you can use touch when using Android Auto / CarPlay.

Its completely invisible to the Mylink system, that works just as it did from the factory so full functionality there, with radio, rear camera, HUD etc but if you double tap the audio mute button on the steering wheel or hold your finger on the top left of the Mylink screen it flicks over to the Import Road system. That gives you full CarPlay etc and to get sound you just flick to the 'Aux Input'.
If I'm carplaying and turn the aircon knob it flicks back to Mylink for a few seconds, and If I go into reverse it flicks to the holden camera and then back to CarPlay when I go into drive; so you don't lose any functionality.

I use Apple and can either use USB or wireless (bluetooth) connection to that system. I've used it since July last year and its been faultless, you have direct access to whatever map app you want (google maps, Apple Maps, Waze, HereWeGo (who incidentally are the mapping software people Holden got Mylink maps off)) and of course any other apple / android app that's compatible with Android Auto or CarPlay...Spotify, podcasts etc.

Install for me took about 4 hours...but I'm no auto electrician..., you do need to remove the Mylink screen, headunit and the aircon button unit so you can plug the new wiring looms in, but the instructions are very detailed and support from Import Road is first rate.
There is a couple of gotchas though, as its via Aux there is no forward/back of music tracks via the steering wheel, you need to touch the screen to move to the next song. And with Series 1 VF's there was an Aux, with Series 2 you need to get your Mylink programed to enable it. Thats why there is a $200 diff between the S1 and S2 kits.
I used this system too. Took me about 1.5 hrs install. Highly recommended. While it currently only works wirelessly for iphone, he mentioned that a new box is coming within weeks to operate android wirelessly.

Reactions: XML