Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
I eventually got a reply from Holden Customer service regarding the Map Updates.

Still no version numbers, but this is extremely disappointing.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your patience. The MY17 map is a Q1 2015 map release version, which was released on March 2017.

Yours sincerely,
Priya V on behalf of Robert H
Holden Customer Care

So...
The MY17 update that they released in March 2017, and advertise on their website under service offerings,

(https://www.holden.com.au/owning/servicing?gclid=CjwKEAjw_bHHBRD4qbKukMiVgU0SJADr08ZZ6NB84gmt7ob1y3TCLJr_iNgxETruQx5Z6GBO9eUS7xoCD8vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds),

as :

“Latest Map Update”
That supposedly includes:
“New and updated road network
Includes major infrastructure updates
Updated road features including one-way roads
Updated places of interest database”

...and that they charge $179 for, is ACTUALLY OVER 2 YEARS OLD, and is NOT the “LATEST” at all, and they do not provide this information ANYWHERE, or advise their dealers, or advise their customers prior to purchase that they are buying a product that is already well and truly out of date?

At the very least, I suspect that this is misleading advertising, and at best they are failing on their stated duty to provide “regular updates” to the GPS system in current model Holdens and at worst, the MyLink system that is included in our cars does not meet the specification requirements and is therefore hopelessly inadequate and not fit for the purpose it was intended for.

The only way you going to hold them to account it to take them to Consumer Affairs like I did. Numerous email complaints fell on deaf ears. I pointed this out at my Tribunal Hearing as it says it in the Owners Manual. I got mine done for free in July last year and also got them to agree to a complimentary upgrade in the future , so this one is on Holden !

It's the latest one from Holden , not that it's new and current data LOL

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
The only way you going to hold them to account it to take them to Consumer Affairs like I did. Numerous email complaints fell on deaf ears. I pointed this out at my Tribunal Hearing as it says it in the Owners Manual. I got mine done for free in July last year and also got them to agree to a complimentary upgrade in the future , so this one is on Holden !

It's the latest one from Holden , not that it's new and current data LOL
Yes,

I've already escalated to consumer affairs Victoria who were very interested in the forwarded email chain.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well, I've decided not to go ahead with the MAP update or the MyLink update at my next service this month. As identified in this forum, the MAPS are late 2015 so probably not much better than what I already have installed in my GEN-F2 GTS. I thought that the speed camera alerts would be useful but I assume that all you get is a similar chime to the ones for school zones and railways. My son's 2015 Mazda 3 gets MAP updates every month or two and spoken alerts for red light cameras, speed cameras, school zones etc. for almost 1/4 of the GTS price. Shame on Holden, no wonder people stopped buying your Commodores.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yes,

I've already escalated to consumer affairs Victoria who were very interested in the forwarded email chain.
Interested to see what happens..

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
Interested to see what happens..
Funny you should ask.
Got a response about an hour ago:

"Thank you for your response. I have escalated this matter to the management and passed on your feedback.

Due to the relatively long map development period, it’s feasible that recent road system changes are not incorporated in a map update for some time. The compilation of the map raw data is completed more than 12 months ahead of the eventual map update release.

If you would like to get the map update, we are happy to cover the cost for you. Let me know if you would like to get the update, I can arrange this with your preferred dealership.

Once you got the map update, and would like to report map anomaly, you can report it through the map supplier link: https://here.com/en "

I'll be taking them up on this, but also noted that i wanted to be advised about subsequent updates and I wasn't going to let them off the hook for releasing maps that are 2 years out of date and having the gall to charge for them.

I think it's wrong that ANYBODY should be asked to pay for this and encourage everybody to raise a case with their relevant local consumer affairs authority.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
20170420_181520.jpg 20170420_181445.jpg Well I got my maps updated today for free , normally $179

Everything seems to be working OK but there is no library supposedly at Mt Druitt NSW despite POI's for Libraries in Public Spaces -Go figure

Previous version below from July 2016 update

Attachments

• 20170410_082134.jpg
    20170410_082134.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 20170410_082126.jpg
    20170410_082126.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 258

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Interesting. Looking at the numbers it doesn't look as if you received a MyLink update, only the MAPS update. Did you have safety cameras showing on the list of alerts (school zones and railway lines) previously? Are they showing on the list of alerts now?

How did you go about getting the MAPS update - did you mention it when you booked the car in for a service? How did you get the update free?

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
View attachment 191452 View attachment 191453 Well I got my maps updated today for free , normally $179

Personally i think it should be free for everyone. They have no right to charge this much for something this out of date.
If they aren't at least providing this information to customers PRIOR to purchase it's misleading and bordering on criminal behaviour.

How did you get the update free?
Just tell them how old the supposedly "latest" map update is and threaten to report them to a consumer protection authority if they try to charge you for it...

If enough people start getting this for free it may prompt dealer complaints and give them an impetus to act to protect the revenue stream for their dealers?

drady

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf R8 Clubsport
Is there a good reference address we can use to test currency of maps that does display now on your mylink unit?

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Interesting. Looking at the numbers it doesn't look as if you received a MyLink update, only the MAPS update. Did you have safety cameras showing on the list of alerts (school zones and railway lines) previously? Are they showing on the list of alerts now?

How did you go about getting the MAPS update - did you mention it when you booked the car in for a service? How did you get the update free?

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-sat-nav.262527/page-9#post-2889408

Please read the email from Holden, not all VF's get the driver alerts, mine is one of them. If you search through this thread you will find my posts relating to my obtaining this update and the initial map upgrade for free.