Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by iamandrew, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Skylarking

Skylarking Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yep, don’t disagree at all though others manufacturers provide free update while under warranty. Maps may still be sh!t but they are free sh!t ;)

I see such behaviour as even more reason for auto manufacturers to open up their systems to 3rd part software. Just provide a secure system and sandbox the apps... but they’d prefer we cycle our cars like many cycle their phones just to get a new software feature...

Tryg likes this.
  2. Tryg

Tryg Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline W407/WK2 Jeep GC Summit
    I’m not sure, I don’t think it was an option for Redline buyers...but a massive cost particle of the vehicle, that’s true.

3. Tryg

Tryg Active Member

Members Ride:
    I think it’d a pure marketing exercise, get you back and open your wallet.

4. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Well ... this could be why it doesn’t bother me, it definitely doesn’t come-up as an option when flicking through sources via the wheel in our MY14, although the icon does exist on the Home page. Not somehow configurable, is it? Our MyLink software hasn’t been updated since the guide-lines-on-reversing-camera update, way-back-when.

I think you’re right, I think I’d have been pretty unhappy if I’d paid extra for it.

5. Skylarking

Skylarking Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I’ve move Pandora off the Home page but still see it as a selectable source :(
    If MyLink Nav came standard, you can be sure the price was adjusted UP to include all the widgets the lower model didn’t get. So unless you got the car for free, you paid for MyLink Nav one way or another (unless of course you don’t have MyLink in which case you avoid the annoyances all together) :)

6. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    The SatNav came bundled with the leather & the V8 & the colour & the HUD & the wheels & the suspension, from our POV ... I only discovered afterwards that some manufacturers use a SatNav design which can be upgraded from generic maps, maybe it was my limited experience with SatNav systems that made me assume I’d be stuck with paid manufacturer updates.

I don’t think the HUD was configured to show the speed-limit when we went for the test-drive; but that function is something that’s really going to bother me as it gets more & more out of date. Especially with the way the limit can change so often in NSW, you can be trying to avoid the stupidity of a gerlytruk operator & miss an apparently-random speed-limit change pretty easily.

7. Tryg

Tryg Active Member

Members Ride:
    I think the HUD only shows speed on major roads anyway, no? If you're in the back streets, not visible.

8. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Nah the HUD shows speed about 99% of the time in my usage, it’s really only when in car-parks etc I don’t see a speed-limit icon.
    Could be lame SatNav map coverage that’s causing it to fail to show the limit?
    All the quiet 50-zone backstreets around home are displayed on the HUD.

*edit*
    ... except they’re not; two of the dozen streets to get to the main road didn’t display the 50 zone on the HUD today, making a liar of me!

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Tryg likes this.
  9. justice4all3000

justice4all3000 Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Calais 5.7
    does anyone have a photo of this new feature my unit had a mylink update (but not the maps) done the other day but i cant see this feature

10. Skylarking

Skylarking Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @VFSV6FORME was discussing his portable Nav and how it’s frequently updated and improved compared to the stagnation of MyLink.

It could be worth VFSV6FORME editing his couple of old posts to clarify that to save on further confusion.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  11. justice4all3000

justice4all3000 Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Calais 5.7
    ah that clears that up then haha

12. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    I find that in quiet suburban streets, the MyLink satnav only displays the speed limit if it's higher or lower than the default limit of 50 km/h. On arterial roads the speed limit is displayed all the time.

lmoengnr and Tryg like this.
  13. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I know this post is about a standalone unit & not the MyLink; and I know it makes sense for the system to connect via WiFi when parked in the garage & automatically update when a software update is available; but a workmate took delivery of a new Focus on the weekend, and his car has this feature for the entire car's systems including SatNav maps!

It's one of those "oh - they're doing it already!" moments.

Tryg likes this.
  14. vy_berlina03

vy_berlina03 Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6 Storm
    Mine shows the speed limits in the shopping centres which is annoying cause it goes off at 5km, 10km, 15km which happens a lot more after the latest map upgrade.

15. zappaboy

zappaboy Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon Motorsport Auto SOAG
    Have been advised by HCC that there is a 2018 map update for my motorsport and July 2013 build Calais V wagon. In both cases it will cost $126. Considering getting it done with the wagon as it has not been updated since the car was bought new.

16. dans_vz

dans_vz Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
    Do you know or ask them when this update was actually released?

17. justice4all3000

justice4all3000 Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Calais 5.7
    my car is a vf calais v 2013 model the dealership has told me there is a map update available and they are waiting for Holden gm to send the update over so i rang them directly and they said updates are only for 2014 to 2017 models has anyone with a 2013 model gotten a map update?

18. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley New Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VF Calais V
    I'd guess the update is for MY14 to MY17. Your 2013 build is still a MY14.

19. zappaboy

zappaboy Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon Motorsport Auto SOAG
    During my recent chat with HCC re the map updates, HCC advised that the most recent map update was released in "Q4 2017" ie their words. They advised that there was an map update for my sept 2017 MSE but they could not advise on the July 2013 Calais V. For the Calais V they referred me to the stealership which does not give me much confidence. Can anyone advise which config file relates to the map updates. I have uploaded the config files from my 2013 Calais V and the 2017 MSE. Neither car has had their Maps updated.

Attached Files:

20. Skylarking

Skylarking Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^
    HCC seem to always say whatever they seem to think the caller will respond to. Those 4Q 2017 Mylinkmap updates were supposed to be the release, we’ll in Q4 2017 but they were delayed till Jan, then Feb and finally released I think late Feb 2018. I know because my dealer delivered my car after themylink map update was available but they CBFed updating my new shiny car...

The bigger issue is the HCC or anyone at Holden can’t say what map date their maps are compiled from... As Holden uses, I think, where is maps, they grab a certain release date and massage it to work with their MyLink (primarily to protect their update revenue stream I’d suspect). So you get a Q4 2107 MyLink map update released in mid Q1 2018 but carrying map data that already is some year or two old...

Sadly Holden are a bunch of lethargic ******* ****** when it comes to looking after their customers.