Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by iamandrew, Jan 31, 2017.

1. kleanphil

kleanphil Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
    Least you'll know how to get home :p

2. SSVREDLINE2014

SSVREDLINE2014 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Ok. Thanks...

3. SSVREDLINE2014

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Was quoted $180 for a map upgrade so is it worth it?

4. kleanphil

kleanphil Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
    @SSVREDLINE2014 In my opinion ,Quite simply NO!!! I'm a big fan of waisting large amounts of money but when there are phone apps that are free and much more up to date , this is one I'm against , you have google (offline and online), waze and sygic (offline and online) which uses Tom Tom maps , I cant see the point .
    None of these are perfect and I use them all , even the mylink maps , but only for convenience when the address I'm looking for is on there , as one may have the address and others don't but mylink maps are way behind all of these .
    Another reason I'm against these updates is because this is simply a money making scheme by Holden when this sort of thing should be free for atleast the warranty period of the car.

EDIT : To prove my point of waisting money I just bought the naviplus Apple play/Android Auto ($1260) so I could display these other maps on the mylink display , that how useless I consider mylink maps

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Depends whether you want maps from 2016 rather than 2012.
    Yes free maps are available for other devices that don’t display in your car; but free solar energy is also available, is petrol for your SSVR therefore a waste of money?

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  6. kleanphil

kleanphil Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
    My next car is going to be a Tesla :rolleyes:

7. kleanphil

kleanphil Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
    I will add , after my rant , that I'm a bricky and we constantly work on new developements that have only existed for less than six months , If you need to find your way to another state or major city your 2012 mylink map will work fine

8. SSVREDLINE2014

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Well it's a map upgrade I guess but I called my local dealership and have been told that the camera alert update isn't available..

9. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Yep. You can get the software upgraded with a patch as recent as the one which enables the camera-alerts in 2016+ cars, but that unfortunately won’t enable the camera alerts in your (or my) car. At least, not from Holden. Some hacking into config-stuff that the Holden upgrades don’t touch is required.
    If you decide the maps are worth the money, it’s probably still worth asking for the latest software to be installed too.

10. SSVREDLINE2014

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Stupid regarding camera alerts.

11. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I'm Driving the ZB VXR last night and the maps didn't even have Dingley bypass on the maps. I know the VF 1st update doesn't but would of thought the ZB would by now. The map data must be very old not to have the bypass added.

12. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Surely if you get your vehicle serviced at a Holden dealer they will update all operational software to the latest available version as a matter of process since such updates fix issues... If this is not the case, the fact customers have to ask for updates to be installed encapsulates what is wrong with Holden.

Back to maps, as has already been said, many manufacturers do free map updates while the vehicle is under warranty so Holden could learn something from these dealers. In my mind, what’s the point of even getting free MyLink map updates (if Holden followed other manufacturers lead) when they are so far out of date o_O

As to why Holden map data is so far out of date, who knows but I’d guess poor choice of map data supplier, poor contract negotiations and likely a desire to use their own proprietary data structure which requires them spend design effort massaging the supplier provided data so their clumsy systems can be used to load it in the vehicle. All speculation of course but what else could be the cause of Holden shafting their customers for a few extra dollars a year for old maps?

saroadie likes this.
  13. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I like my car too much to subject it to a dealer for servicing!

My guess is that Holden map data is so far out of date because General Motors map data is so far out of date … and the reason for that is probably either (a) the absolute cheapest data supplier they could find or (b) when the General was but a mere Private Motors back in High School, the guy who owns the map company was in his private fluting class & they engaged in lots of private fluting together.

Plenty of car manufacturers just allow their customers to go straight to the data supplier. When looking to update my portable SatNav via the Garmin website, there were downloads available for a bunch of car manufacturers, installable via USB … in fact I think even the cheapest & crappiest vehicle manufacturer in the world, Jeep, was on that list. If someone as backward as Jeep can manage it ...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Skylarking likes this.
  14. mwb235

mwb235 Pierced sink plugs

Members Ride:
    2014 VF Calais V V6
    I don’t blame you!

“Fluting together” hehe. I’m glad they didn’t progress to the Tuba or it would’ve got a bit noisy! :D

15. acetuner

acetuner New Member

Members Ride:
    vy commodore

16. RoganJosh

RoganJosh Active Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VF Calais V -V6
    Not quite but they made it sound complicated and drawn out

17. Philmecrackun

Philmecrackun Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
    They normally charge about $185 for map upgrade, but I was trying to find it on the Holden website where I saw it about 6 weeks ago, if you got a service it was about $135 at the same time, I got a free one as I told the salesman before I buy the car, as it was 2 years old to update maps, he fibbed and I persisted and got the latest, but the camera and railway alerts were tuned off, so had to go into radio configuration and turn them on, as school was only turned on.

18. berlina411

berlina411 Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
    I am confused, getting different info from HCC and dealers. I was told at one point that a Mylink software update was available that would give me speed camera alerts and then later, was told no, I already have the latest software.
    Why do some people get the camera alert update and others not even though they seem to have the same year of manufacture ie 2016?
    I find the Sat Nav in Mylink pretty useless really compared to Google maps. I have no intention of spending any money on outdated map updates
    Perhaps we should all band together in some form and badger Holden into incorporating ACP/AA into our vehicles. Even at a reasonable cost I would be in. What do others think?

19. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    The camera update capability depends on your MyLink unit. There will have been a point in time when every new MyLink unit fitted to new cars rolling down the line had the ability to display the camera alerts ... maybe a small batch of cars were some had the older unit & some the newer. But it’s all about when the car was built.

Holden would have to fit different MyLink hardware to be able to use Android Auto or CarPlay, no amount of badgering will result in any manufacturer having to retrofit something which was never promised & never even inferred & NOBODY thought was installed - into a car that is no longer available & has close to zero affect on future sales.

20. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I'd be into badgering Holden but i doubt they care at all as i suspect Holden is in a holding pattern until they close shop.

As for HCC, i've had them make statements then refuse to stand by them even though their own statements were written down on their system. And Holdens executive director of customer experiance didn't even bother to reply to an email i sent him which in my view is very telling of their view towards their customers. The whole of HCC is built on silos to stop one getting to the decission makers and is teh mark of a poor service oriented company.

Best approach is to write off Mylink and use your phone as it's likley time to move on.