Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Was quoted $180 for a map upgrade so is it worth it?
@SSVREDLINE2014 In my opinion ,Quite simply NO!!! I'm a big fan of waisting large amounts of money but when there are phone apps that are free and much more up to date , this is one I'm against , you have google (offline and online), waze and sygic (offline and online) which uses Tom Tom maps , I cant see the point .
None of these are perfect and I use them all , even the mylink maps , but only for convenience when the address I'm looking for is on there , as one may have the address and others don't but mylink maps are way behind all of these .
Another reason I'm against these updates is because this is simply a money making scheme by Holden when this sort of thing should be free for atleast the warranty period of the car.

EDIT : To prove my point of waisting money I just bought the naviplus Apple play/Android Auto ($1260) so I could display these other maps on the mylink display , that how useless I consider mylink maps

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Was quoted $180 for a map upgrade so is it worth it?
Depends whether you want maps from 2016 rather than 2012.
Yes free maps are available for other devices that don’t display in your car; but free solar energy is also available, is petrol for your SSVR therefore a waste of money?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Depends whether you want maps from 2016 rather than 2012.
Yes free maps are available for other devices that don’t display in your car; but free solar energy is also available, is petrol for your SSVR therefore a waste of money?

My next car is going to be a Tesla :rolleyes:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I will add , after my rant , that I'm a bricky and we constantly work on new developements that have only existed for less than six months , If you need to find your way to another state or major city your 2012 mylink map will work fine

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Well it's a map upgrade I guess but I called my local dealership and have been told that the camera alert update isn't available..

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well it's a map upgrade I guess but I called my local dealership and have been told that the camera alert update isn't available..
Yep. You can get the software upgraded with a patch as recent as the one which enables the camera-alerts in 2016+ cars, but that unfortunately won’t enable the camera alerts in your (or my) car. At least, not from Holden. Some hacking into config-stuff that the Holden upgrades don’t touch is required.
If you decide the maps are worth the money, it’s probably still worth asking for the latest software to be installed too.