Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I'm Driving the ZB VXR last night and the maps didn't even have Dingley bypass on the maps. I know the VF 1st update doesn't but would of thought the ZB would by now. The map data must be very old not to have the bypass added.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.....If you decide the maps are worth the money, it’s probably still worth asking for the latest software to be installed too.
Surely if you get your vehicle serviced at a Holden dealer they will update all operational software to the latest available version as a matter of process since such updates fix issues... If this is not the case, the fact customers have to ask for updates to be installed encapsulates what is wrong with Holden.

Back to maps, as has already been said, many manufacturers do free map updates while the vehicle is under warranty so Holden could learn something from these dealers. In my mind, what’s the point of even getting free MyLink map updates (if Holden followed other manufacturers lead) when they are so far out of date o_O

As to why Holden map data is so far out of date, who knows but I’d guess poor choice of map data supplier, poor contract negotiations and likely a desire to use their own proprietary data structure which requires them spend design effort massaging the supplier provided data so their clumsy systems can be used to load it in the vehicle. All speculation of course but what else could be the cause of Holden shafting their customers for a few extra dollars a year for old maps?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Surely if you get your vehicle serviced at a Holden dealer they will update all operational software to the latest available version as a matter of process since such updates fix issues...
I like my car too much to subject it to a dealer for servicing!

As to why Holden map data is so far out of date, who knows but I’d guess poor choice of map data supplier, poor contract negotiations and likely a desire to use their own proprietary data structure which requires them spend design effort massaging the supplier provided data so their clumsy systems can be used to load it in the vehicle. All speculation of course but what else could be the cause of Holden shafting their customers for a few extra dollars a year for old maps?
My guess is that Holden map data is so far out of date because General Motors map data is so far out of date … and the reason for that is probably either (a) the absolute cheapest data supplier they could find or (b) when the General was but a mere Private Motors back in High School, the guy who owns the map company was in his private fluting class & they engaged in lots of private fluting together.

Plenty of car manufacturers just allow their customers to go straight to the data supplier. When looking to update my portable SatNav via the Garmin website, there were downloads available for a bunch of car manufacturers, installable via USB … in fact I think even the cheapest & crappiest vehicle manufacturer in the world, Jeep, was on that list. If someone as backward as Jeep can manage it ...

Last edited:
M

mwb235

I like my car too much to subject it to a dealer for servicing!

I don’t blame you!

My guess is that Holden map data is so far out of date because General Motors map data is so far out of date … and the reason for that is probably either (a) the absolute cheapest data supplier they could find or (b) when the General was but a mere Private Motors back in High School, the guy who owns the map company was in his private fluting class & they engaged in lots of private fluting together.

“Fluting together” hehe. I’m glad they didn’t progress to the Tuba or it would’ve got a bit noisy! :D

acetuner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
RoganJosh, I didn't mean ready for you to use, I meant ready for dealers to use. :)
The way you described it, they had 18 engineers giving your car anal-probes & the like for an entire day, just to update some maps ... it sounded like a very experimental procedure, which I assumed was why you got it for free.
There's no way dealers are going to give away free map updates if that much effort is involved every time they do it. Neither Holden nor dealers have ever claimed we'll be getting X years of free maps, and there's a precedent in the industry for owners to have to buy new maps; so apart from trying to keep a repeat customer happy (which is not me - I won't go near dealers unless I absolutely have to), they're not going to give away hundreds of dollars' worth of time.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6

Not quite but they made it sound complicated and drawn out

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
They normally charge about $185 for map upgrade, but I was trying to find it on the Holden website where I saw it about 6 weeks ago, if you got a service it was about $135 at the same time, I got a free one as I told the salesman before I buy the car, as it was 2 years old to update maps, he fibbed and I persisted and got the latest, but the camera and railway alerts were tuned off, so had to go into radio configuration and turn them on, as school was only turned on.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I persisted and got the latest, but the camera and railway alerts were tuned off, so had to go into radio configuration and turn them on, as school was only turned on.

I am confused, getting different info from HCC and dealers. I was told at one point that a Mylink software update was available that would give me speed camera alerts and then later, was told no, I already have the latest software.
Why do some people get the camera alert update and others not even though they seem to have the same year of manufacture ie 2016?
I find the Sat Nav in Mylink pretty useless really compared to Google maps. I have no intention of spending any money on outdated map updates
Perhaps we should all band together in some form and badger Holden into incorporating ACP/AA into our vehicles. Even at a reasonable cost I would be in. What do others think?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The camera update capability depends on your MyLink unit. There will have been a point in time when every new MyLink unit fitted to new cars rolling down the line had the ability to display the camera alerts ... maybe a small batch of cars were some had the older unit & some the newer. But it’s all about when the car was built.

Holden would have to fit different MyLink hardware to be able to use Android Auto or CarPlay, no amount of badgering will result in any manufacturer having to retrofit something which was never promised & never even inferred & NOBODY thought was installed - into a car that is no longer available & has close to zero affect on future sales.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd be into badgering Holden but i doubt they care at all as i suspect Holden is in a holding pattern until they close shop.

As for HCC, i've had them make statements then refuse to stand by them even though their own statements were written down on their system. And Holdens executive director of customer experiance didn't even bother to reply to an email i sent him which in my view is very telling of their view towards their customers. The whole of HCC is built on silos to stop one getting to the decission makers and is teh mark of a poor service oriented company.

Best approach is to write off Mylink and use your phone as it's likley time to move on.