Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I might pay for that when I get the steering recall done, that way the dealer's at least making some money outta me & hopefully that'll make them less unkeen to see me. :)
The dealer gets paid from Holden when they do any recall or warranty work so it’s not like they are covering such cost themselves.

If a dealer starts to feel less keen to see a commodore owner, that would say more about the worth of the Holden franchise deal and the quality of the Holden product they have sold than anything else.

In one way, caring about whether a dealer would be keen to see you or not is like caring about a prostitute in the misguided belief that she actaully has feelings for you at $2000 per hour :eek:

On the flip side, I doubt the dealer would loose any sleep because you’ve suffered inconvenience while not having access to your car due to the multiple warranty and recall fixes you may have been hit with, much in the same way a pro wouldn’t care if she gave you the clap :oops:

As for latest map updates, does anyone know what version they currently are at and when and what version Holden will release an update in March 2019?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The dealer only gets paid about what it costs to perform warranty work, whereas buying new stuff & having it fitted nets the dealer a profit.
Plus they'll have in their records the fact that I've not visited a Holden dealer since the last warranty recall.

The comparison to the prostitute is more like the difference between the prostitute making that $2000 plus the cost of the cab-fare, or just the cost of the cab-fare. She (making gender assumptions about myself which are probably illegal in this day & age) is going to prioritise the cab-fare-coverage jobs AFTER the jobs that get her a profit, and I'll probably not get to see her until October or some-such.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the dealer would still be making a profit on warranty work though not as much as having a customer footing the bill.. consider it special mates rates ;) just like the pro’s may provide o_O

Feel free to pay a bonus so you get service better next time :p

As for gender assumptions, he or she is no longer based on DNA since gender reassignment and birth certificate modifications. So these politically correct days, it’s anyones guess what anyone really is... so best to have a very good look :p As for your preferences, i meant no offence, so substitute whatever floats your boat :confused: :rolleyes:

In any case I think your comment was based on paying for map updates which ain’t warrantywork so that’s ok (I wish the updates were free under warranty).

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I think the dealer would still be making a profit on warranty work though not as much as having a customer footing the bill

It's relatively little - actually I don't know about Holden but have a friend fairly high up at (e: prob shouldn't mention where) and their dealers are not happy about the warranty rate and in fact, try to avoid doing warranty work.

They push warranty work to the end of the queue (causing customer aggravation) in order to pressure the parent company to up the rate.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^
Dealers of all persuasion will always bitch to the manufacturer that they are not making enough... probably with the same straight face when they swore black and blue to me that there were no LE models available when I first enquires. I saw the same faces when I saw LEs popping up but they again swore they couldn’t go any lower than full retail price + an expensive dealer delivery fee when I first enquired about the LE models. Oh, and some years ago I had a discussion with dealers (not Holden) about employee pricing but the weren’t interested as they stated they make noth8ng but the manufacturer was quite clear to me they do well out of the deal.

Yes, they may not make as much on warranty work but the bitching is just part of the game they’ve played with the manufacturer for the years and years of been in business. Sadly their ciustomers can suffer as a result of such games. If business really wasn’t good, they’d quickly find something other than sell and service cars to profit from. Best to avoid Delorian’s business ethics though...

Dealers have a reputation for selling your grannies lap rub to make a dollar so I really don’t have much sympathy for what I see as their crocodile tears. But having some dependency on them, I can understand why some want to keep them on side...

Ps we are now well and truely off topic :eek:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
If dealers made as much profit on warranty work as they do on all other work, they wouldn’t try to avoid the warranty work as much as they do!

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Well just keep in mind 'warranty' work isn't a 'service' so expect to pay full price for the update , so remember to make them real happy and book a service at the same time .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Forg, I haven’t said they make the same margins between waranty and retail work. I have stated they don’t do badly out of warranty work and likely use their customers as levers against the manufacturer to negotiate a better rate.

End result will be the same, the customer is jerked around but to them It’s just business. We are simply the fodder for their machine. They’d always prioritise the larger margins jobs, even a big retail job will bump a small retail job so nothing new on that. But they ain’t as poor as they like to sound.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, as kleanphil says, booking a service means map updates can be bought at a cheaper rate than buying just a map update on its own.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ... but the less I let the dealer near the mechanicals, the less chance they have of breaking something irrepairable. At least if they only need to apply a map update they can’t ... I dunno, drop it off a hoist. And the amount I’d save on a discounted map by getting a service, I could have saved on the service by going somewhere reputable for that service.