Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF series 1 ss turbo

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Has anyone put a turbo on a VF series 1 ss? Was looking into putting a small turbo to make roughly 330rwkw . Currently just have full exhaust making 270rwkw and didn't want to put a cam in it.

How much power can you get out of the transmission and other parts before things start to break? Obviously it also comes down to how you drive it too.

Was also told you don't need to put a cam in to put a procharger in too, but wanted to look into all option's.

Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks and happy ny

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Has anyone put a turbo on a VF series 1 ss? Was looking into putting a small turbo to make roughly 330rwkw . Currently just have full exhaust making 270rwkw and didn't want to put a cam in it.

How much power can you get out of the transmission and other parts before things start to break? Obviously it also comes down to how you drive it too.

Was also told you don't need to put a cam in to put a procharger in too, but wanted to look into all option's.

Thanks and happy ny
you dont need to change the cam for any type of boost.

goat, killaboost manifolds both do turbo kits. occasionaly see kits for $2-5k on marketplace which is about the cheapest turbo option. LSA chargers plus fitment are a little bit more expensive.

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute

Thanks and happy ny
There is no turbo kit that will get you anywhere near 330rwkw, Killaboost entry level kit is good for 500rwkw on 98.
Turbo charging a 6 litre will produce serious power, enough to destroy most driveline parts if used frequently .
Even if tuned on 5psi you will still be around 400rwkw

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yeah if all you're chasing is 330rwkw put a half decent cam in, that's how I got 330rwkw.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Yeah I got 315-330rwkw with a sensible cam, auto trans and full exhaust. Still perfectly driveable and goes good.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
400rwkw with a cam, if you use the right dyno!

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
I didn't want to go cam because of the 5-7k outlay to gain 30rwkw on a stealth cam or similar vcm cam. I don't want to go histall and the excessive cost of fuel for a bigger cam.

I thought maybe a small boost setup with some second hand parts would of been achievable to gain around the 330rwkw, for around 8-10k. Seeing as a 400rwkw+ was around 13k to install with brand new parts.
Tell me if I'm wrong but the way I'm thinking about it is, the spending a little extra on a boost setup would out way the cost of a bigger cam as the bigger cam would be more expensive to fuel for a daily. As the turbo would be more efficient and would only cost more fuel if I stepped on the pedal more.

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
I didn't want to go cam because of the 5-7k outlay to gain 30rwkw on a stealth cam or similar vcm cam. I don't want to go histall and the excessive cost of fuel for a bigger cam.

I thought maybe a small boost setup with some second hand parts would of been achievable to gain around the 330rwkw, for around 8-10k. Seeing as a 400rwkw+ was around 13k to install with brand new parts.
Tell me if I'm wrong but the way I'm thinking about it is, the spending a little extra on a boost setup would out way the cost of a bigger cam as the bigger cam would be more expensive to fuel for a daily. As the turbo would be more efficient and would only cost more fuel if I stepped on the pedal more.
You are right that to get 330 out of a l77 will require a bigish cam and a stall and would be thirsty and a pain to drive in traffic.
What you're not getting is that you will need a turbo with a turbine and exhaust housing that will flow enough to allow a 6 litre to breath. This will be at least a T4 1.10A/R , a turbo of this size will have a 70+mm compressor and be capable of 900+hp worth of air. A waste gate of 50-60mm will really struggle to keep boost to 5psi, and even 5psi will produce way more than 330 .
A LSA blower would be your best option for the power level you are after.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can anyone who’s done a turbo kit comment on the fuel-efficiency thing? I’m a tad surprised that a turbo would use less fuel than a large-ish cam, the comment about the turbo being more efficient is true when you’re on boost - but when not on boost the turbo’s a big restriction in your exhaust system.

And a mechanically-connected supercharger is gonna be worse!