Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by houndogss, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
    20/1. Hunter Valley to Canberra running e10 94 octane, cruise control set on 115km/h, air conditioning set at 20c. Best: 8.0, average 8.2l. That includes being stuck on Pennant Hills Road for 40 odd minutes in the heat yesterday.

BTW i dont normally run e10 but it was so cheap compared to premium 98 i thought i would give it a try.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    monstar likes this.
  2. michael strochano

michael strochano New Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv redline
    9000ks 12.9L pretty good I think but cost of fuel doesn't bother me

3. monstar

monstar Naturally as-pirated

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    That’s what I thought until I realised that $20-$50 twice a week could be better spent.

4. AAAC

AAAC Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    Hi Monster, I have a stock standard VF2 Redline automatic for which I am considering getting an Oztrack tune. I want to optimise what is in the vehicle. I have however considered installing a flex-fuel sensor. The electrical side will be easy for me although I have not yet investigated what fuel connectors I will need and the exact under-hood placement of the sensor. Do you think it is worth the extra complication in a standard vehicle, that I am unlikely to modify? In particular I am interested in any extra performance from the ethanol. Fuel consumption is not a big issue as I usually only use the vehicle on the weekend.

5. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    the flex sensors usually have the GM EFI clip on style fitting (same as the factory hard line at firewall) so u can fit them inline quite easily

Mike__ and AAAC like this.
  6. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    OzTrack will give LS3 a good tune for ethanol. Yes it is worth it on near stock LS3, mainly less effort / more power down low like 2500. So whether a little tip-in cruising or working your way up to 4400 OzTrack will recalibrate the tune to perform noticeably better than stock particularly under those conditions.
    Also on hot day giving it the boot it will stay responsive longer before heatsoak and timing retard.

Mike__ and AAAC like this.
  7. AAAC

AAAC Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    Thanks O7GTS and Monstar for the information. When time allows, it will be my next project.

8. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    I'll be very interested to hear how it goes.

9. AAAC

AAAC Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    Will keep you posted.

426Cuda likes this.
  10. LastV8?

LastV8? Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VF2 Redline
    After 12 months, finally got to do a long distance trip in the LS3 Auto (A/C + cruise on + full boot + 98) at Easter from Gold Coast to Sydney. The 2 mainly Freeway legs were Port Macquarie to Sydney northern suburbs 10.1 l/100 over 373 km and returning from Port Macquarie to Gold Coast 10.0 l/100 over 475 km. The trip computer says best was 9.3 somewhere. Comparatively, my VE AFM did 9.1 - 9.3 in similar conditions. So not too bad really. Driving around Sydney - different story!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    I'm driving a Camry Altise hire car atm. I did Coffs To Macksville and return yesterday on cruise come, avg economy was 8.8l/100 on the speed limit. Lighter car, 4cyl, 1 person on board, no luggage. 4 cyl false economy, makes our V8's seem pretty darn good on highway.

monstar, Mike__, Anthony121 and 2 others like this.
  12. LastV8?

LastV8? Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VF2 Redline
    Yes quite amazing really, and not to forget the benefits of superior space, comfort, ride and handling for long haul trips, and the chance to get the jump on those rare overtaking lanes, it's the only way to fly (low).

monstar and 426Cuda like this.
  13. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Drove mine yesterday and AVG after 5500 km is 11.7 AVG speed 54km/h SS manual tuned etc etc

monstar and 426Cuda like this.
  14. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    I’m driving a car half the weight and output of my wagon, more output yet 2/3 weight of latest VW Audi turbo 4 engine, is lauded as a triumph of engineering between BMW and PSA - recently won international Engine of the Year eight consecutive years - the posterboy of downsizing.
    Main thing is fuel economy is still same as it uses premium fuel and you know what’s the point spending more time than you need to out of boost?!
    Other thing is the fuel seems combusted petty poorly, like a light bit of oily sooty shiit gets caught in vortex behind white car need to wash every week!

LastV8? likes this.
  15. SSV 407

SSV 407 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    I averaged 9.9L/100 from Sydney to Gold coast and back 4 people and luggage.
    Same economy as my diesel Pajero. I can't complain about that :D

426Cuda and monstar like this.
  16. Tryg

Tryg Active Member

Members Ride:
    a white car
    I live in a very hilly area of the world, 700m above sea level. I guess around town, with my heavy foot, it's chewing through 16.9l/100km and on the highway somewhere in the 10's. I'll be interested to see how much worse it gets with the addition of a cam.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  17. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    The Camry I mentioned above was horrible to drive too btw. The steering ratio was appaulling slow. No road feel whatsoever. The cruise control was like a 1980's Mazda 929. It felt unstable at 100k's.
    It's all too easy to compare cars to our Commies on paper. But, driving many of them is a big let down in my experience.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    TTubrag and monstar like this.
  18. Davesumner

Davesumner New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline
    View attachment 199064
    On a run to Newcastle from Melbourne I got 6.1 as we were about 50km from Sydney, soon disappeared as we hit Sydney's suburbs but I've still got it set as my lowest figure.

Attached Files:

• 6.1.jpg
      6.1.jpg
      File size:
      293.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    SSteve and Tryg like this.
  19. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Which setting is that on? 100 kms or 25?

20. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Melbourne is 31m above sea level while Newcastle is 9m above sea leavel which means you were going down hill the whole way :p You still got great 'mileage' from your trip :)

We should post fuel consumption figures with reference to the set distance setting (averaging over 25, 100 or 500 kms) as it makes it simpler to compare.

Pity the speed average isn't linked to the 'set distance setting' used with fuel consumption average but it would also be useful to post this number.

Me, IIRC, i'm getting an average from 18.4ltrs down to 11.4ltrs/100kms on the 25 kms scale with average speeds of around 34 kmph. It's very traffic and throttle dependant (and i don't hammer the go peddle).

It's also a pity the instantaneous fuel consuumption display is capped at displaying a max of 34.9ltrs/100kms even though there is no hardware reason for such a cap.

It would be nice to actually see what is happening when one takes off from the lights with other traffic but i guess GM/H are trying to be politically correct towards the greenies of the world by not showing the real uncapped figure. Gental take off from lights yields 24 odd litrs / 100 kms but is very very un fun...

For comparison, my old EF falcon 6 cylinder POS pegger the meter at 99.9ltrs/100kms on normal take-off (the cap was due to the 3 character 7 or 9 segment display limitations of the trip computer).

Tryg likes this.