Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

j_davis_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport edition
Higher performance engines like lsa r designed to run at higher compression ratios which equate to much higher temps/pressures in each cylinder : fuels with R.O.N of 98 or higher r designed to operate under these high t/p conditions as the fuel remains stable ( no spontaneous combustion ) so it results in precise timing for optimal combustion : but if u run 91 in these types of engines, the fuel is too unstable in the high t/p conditions present in these types of motors n this can or will cause uneven combustion of air/fuel mixtures resulting in that knocking/pinging noise that u hear : in the long term, continual use of 91 will result in long term engine damage : i wont use 91 in any of my bikes or cars thats for sure ☺

I agree if it's LSA. 91 / e10 should be fine on LS3.

V8s and beer

Everything else is trivia
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 R8 Clubsport LSA Tourer #0035
Running BP 98 or Caltex 98

I have recently purchased a new R8 LSA Tourer. Bought it in Melbourne and drove home to Sydney. Managed 9.9l/100 on the 900 odd km trip. Since then been driving it to and from work daily in stop start traffic, and highway trips on weekend. Its done just on 2000km now and it sits on 16.4L/100 averaged over last 500km. I drive sedately for the most part with occasional squirts off the lights.
I had an SSV with AFM prior to this with Headers/cats, exhaust CAI and Oztrack tune and it did the Melbourne trip quite a few times. It used to get 8.5l/100 on that trip, and 14.2 around town/mixed.
I am more than happy with a couple of extra litres per hundred for the new toy. Its a cracker of a car.

Last edited:

Tele

Reaction score
Members Ride
i30
Are you guys saying the Bio E10 Unleaded fuel that you can get at some Caltex is safe to run in a VF II the LS3? Ive not done this but if its ok too i will try any thoughts? yes or no run the other way.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Are you guys saying the Bio E10 Unleaded fuel that you can get at some Caltex is safe to run in a VF II the LS3? Ive not done this but if its ok too i will try any thoughts? yes or no run the other way.
Mate u can run any fuel except E85 in an ls3 motor but i personally wont use anything except the quality 98s available : these fuels have additives n anti-oxidants added by the fuel companies so that the fuel remains stable for alot longer n also to keep your fuel systems much cleaner for much longer : once again its your car so its your choice ☺

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6

Yes e10 is safe to run, have run it in mine, if your driving mainly around the city, would recommend running 95 if your run the engine at high rpm.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There is no chance I’d ever run an engine at high RPM on anything less than 98.

I don’t really understand why some people think there is a significant saving in using less efficient dirtier lower octane fuels but if that’s what they want to believe then that’s up to them but when they start recommending running an engine hard on anything but premium then they are talking crap.

Octane levels fluctuate and decrease in fuels as it is, so why take the risk for just a measly saving at the bower.

If you plan to keep the vehicle long term then be kind to it and give it what it really needs, it’s like making a decision to live on spam or live on steak and I know which way I’d go.

j_davis_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport edition
I don’t really understand why some people think there is a significant saving in using less efficient dirtier lower octane fuels but if that’s what they want to believe then that’s up to them but when they start recommending running an engine hard on anything but premium then they are talking crap.

Pure petrol without any additives is RON 91. I can understand if you say its less efficient but how do you say its "dirtier"?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
using less efficient dirtier lower octane fuels but if that’s what they want to believe then that’s up to them but when they start recommending running an engine hard on anything but premium then they are talking crap.

Lower octane fuels aren't dirtier, why do they have this dirt busting image, only way dirt gets in engine is no air filter.......

E10 is cleaner than 91,

I'm running 95 and 98 in my LS3 and no difference to me.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Lower octane fuels aren't dirtier, why do they have this dirt busting image, only way dirt gets in engine is no air filter.......

E10 is cleaner than 91,

I'm running 95 and 98 in my LS3 and no difference to me.

You shouldn't detect much of a difference because the tune is optimised for 95 and not 98. However using 98 octane of course won't hurt but you won't get better performance unless you get a custom tune for that fuel. When the LS3 was released in the VF2 one of the car magazines quoted a Holden engineer who said the car will run ok on 91, but 95 is better.