Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Lower octane fuels aren't dirtier, why do they have this dirt busting image
I suspect because fuel companies have been spruiking their PULP partially with saying there are detergents in them which cleans fuel systems.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Low octane petrol does contain more low grade useless ****, hence less refined. Specifically compounds that are organic in crude oil and petrol such as brimstone (sulphur), as example. High SO2 specifically prevents us from moving to or even being offered new combustion technologies available because the concentration of revolting fart gas emissions & sulphuric (battery) acid out the tailpipe.
Sulphur, as an example, is 'dirt' that does no practical good, yet in high concentrations in less refined petrol.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
There is no chance I’d ever run an engine at high RPM on anything less than 98.

I don’t really understand why some people think there is a significant saving in using less efficient dirtier lower octane fuels but if that’s what they want to believe then that’s up to them but when they start recommending running an engine hard on anything but premium then they are talking crap.

Octane levels fluctuate and decrease in fuels as it is, so why take the risk for just a measly saving at the bower.

If you plan to keep the vehicle long term then be kind to it and give it what it really needs, it’s like making a decision to live on spam or live on steak and I know which way I’d go.
Hi mate : ive said the same thing on here : theres no way id b using anything but the quality 98s in any of my bikes or cars : even use 98 in my little run about n that car doesnt need it : makes it run alot better than if it was on rubbish 91 : i cant understand y people buy a nice ls3 or whatever else for that matter n use that 91 crap : like u said its their car its their choice ☺

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
I have found the SS runs great on 2 stroke fuel. Smells amazing as well

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Low octane petrol does contain more low grade useless ****, hence less refined. Specifically compounds that are organic in crude oil and petrol such as brimstone (sulphur), as example. High SO2 specifically prevents us from moving to or even being offered new combustion technologies available because the concentration of revolting fart gas emissions & sulphuric (battery) acid out the tailpipe.
Sulphur, as an example, is 'dirt' that does no practical good, yet in high concentrations in less refined petrol.

All the petrol we get here in north qld starts off the same 91ron, they mix additives to the fuel to make the premium blends (seen it done), same with blending e10, and
it can tell you the caltex, and shell fuels and the same, because shell buy there fuel from caltex depot.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
All the petrol we get here in north qld starts off the same 91ron, they mix additives to the fuel to make the premium blends (seen it done), same with blending e10, and
it can tell you the caltex, and shell fuels and the same, because shell buy there fuel from caltex depot.

RACV disagrees with you. (see link: RACV RoyalAuto - Why high sulfur content in Australian petrol matters–RACV)

P.S I am not saying you are wrong, but there is information out there from reputable sources such as RACV saying that 91 has more sulfur than the premium grade fuels.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know how much the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria would care about FNQ ... :)

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
Since I saw the thread here, just thought I'd update my VFII sportwagon fuel consomption. After 1,600kms, the average from new is just under 20 litres per 100km. She is thirsty.
Most of that is inner city driving. Double what my previous car used. Tripple the fun.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Since I saw the thread here, just thought I'd update my VFII sportwagon fuel consomption. After 1,600kms, the average from new is just under 20 litres per 100km. She is thirsty.
Meh ... just tell people, truthfully, that she uses no more fuel than a new 3 cylinder MrBishi Mirage!
[although don't mention that the measurement is in "fuel tanks", not actual volume :)]

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
RACV disagrees with you. (see link: RACV RoyalAuto - Why high sulfur content in Australian petrol matters–RACV)

P.S I am not saying you are wrong, but there is information out there from reputable sources such as RACV saying that 91 has more sulfur than the premium grade fuels.

Yep know that.
A problem in Australia is fuel quality is not same all around Australia, our fuel is refined, and delivered for all different places, even though their are standards to follow, theirs still some variation to quality we get, and what the fuel company's can do to the fuel, to make there different blends.
Don't have much choice when you only have 5 fuel suppliers, buying for 2 fuel depots, is good reason why I don't see much change between fuel I use, as I all comes from the same boat that docks at harbour, and supplies all the fuel companies, the same fuel.
I just think premium fuel is not worth the money, if economy is only what you look at, but don't get me wrong, if trying, or need peak performance, eg: running at high rpm, towing, hot temps, premium fuels should help the engine preform better, just like good quality oils, do.
It's all matter of trying each fuel type, and see which one you get the best value for money out of.
I've seen many different types engine pulled down after 200 - 500k's, that have run different grades of fuel, very little difference can be see in the engines because of that, more chance of failure because of poor maintenance, like lack of oil, and coolant changes.
Just a point on e10 fuel is, don't use it if your vehicle sits not being used for a month or more, e10 fuel can gum up your fuel system, have seen it gum up fuel pumps, fuel filters stopping cars from running.