Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There will be if you have a series 1 with AFM active and do a fair amount of part throttle driving - eg freeway

I know this is a late reply from May, I have AFM SS and used to have a VXII LS1 Calais, and plus I have the VX Clubby (manual). On a trip from Sydney to Brisbane, either the VX Calais or the Clubby do about (or just under) 10l/ 100Km. My VE SS AFM does just under 9.0 /100km on the Sydney to Brisbane trip, so I'd put the AFM as 10% better economy on a trip.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Hey guys, so, I swapped my 6L manual VE for a 6.2L manual VFII and I've noticed a rather large and consistent increase in fuel consumption around town. Some might be thinking "well duh, it's an extra .2L", but according to the official specs, the combined fuel economy for the VFII should be 12.6L/100 whereas my VE was supposed to be 14.4L/100.

I could quite easily get my VE into the mid 14's (~2000km since last reset), but I'm struggling to keep the VF in the 15's. I'm certainly not driving the VF harder, so I'm not sure if the official figures are BS, or maybe something might be wrong with the VF? The VF is brand new with ~1700km on it. Neither car have been tuned aftermarket or modified.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Hey guys, so, I swapped my 6L manual VE for a 6.2L manual VFII and I've noticed a rather large and consistent increase in fuel consumption around town. Some might be thinking "well duh, it's an extra .2L", but according to the official specs, the combined fuel economy for the VFII should be 12.6L/100 whereas my VE was supposed to be 14.4L/100.

I could quite easily get my VE into the mid 14's (~2000km since last reset), but I'm struggling to keep the VF in the 15's. I'm certainly not driving the VF harder, so I'm not sure if the official figures are BS, or maybe something might be wrong with the VF? The VF is brand new with ~1700km on it. Neither car have been tuned aftermarket or modified.

I have teh same problem. My VFII SSVR is in the 14-15L/100, even with taking it easy.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I don't keep looking at the economy stats... I just stay off that screen and drive it.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
If you worry too much about fuel economy, I think you bought the wrong car.
Many things can effect economy, if you have avg speed of less than 50ks, fuel economy display can seem to be high.
I would try the good old, write down how many ks travel from full tank, then how many litres to fill back up & calculate L/KM.
All I can say is I'm getting better economy, than my old vz ls1, but it did take a few thousand Ks for that to happen, being a new car give it some time.

notmy SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
LC150 Prado M16 SSV
Our 4 month old SSV Auto is sitting squarely on 12-14L, now this is with my wife driving the kids to school everyday, and me blowing the cobwebs out on the weekends when I shoot down to Bunnings.

Typical fill ups are 64L with 500kms covered, and around 50kms left in the tank (+/-30km).

The Wifes school runs are 12mins at 80kmh so very economical cruising, this would comprise of 80% of her trips, the other 20% are sub 60kmh urban cruising, but I know she only leans on the loud pedal just enough to keep the bi-model open during acceleration.

We have hardly taken the car on the highway yet but I reckon solid 10s would constitute a good highway run. The best ever consumption over 100km distance was 10.8 according to the trip computer.

At the end of the day our 4 Cyl outback used 55L of fuel to cover 500kms, so the extra 10L is nothing which you consider the engine and power out put are 300% higher.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Didn't they put shorter gearing in the VFII V8's? That typically wouldn't help fuel economy around town.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
I'm not worried about it consuming more fuel, moreso if there was something wrong with the car causing it to consume more fuel. Just seeing if anyone experienced similar when upgrading to rule that out or not :)

Thanks for your feedback!