Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by houndogss, Mar 12, 2016.

1. lordsnipe

lordsnipe Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV
    My 1.6 ecoboost reads 0.5-0.6L/h when idling, 0.8-1L/h with the air con running.. I was shocked to see over 2L/h with the LS3 but I don't plan on idling the engine for long periods of time.

2. Daniel Souza

Daniel Souza Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    I’ve never seen a car which shows 0 when idling and it is stationary. My wife’s corola shows around 1.6l/h

Cars shows 0 consumption when they are either turn off or it is moving due to inertia and in gear. The ecu realises that the car has enough momentum to keep the crank spinning and turn of fuel injection.

The LS3 takes a bit longer to shutdown the injection comparing to other cars I have driven.

3. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    Placing the car in neutral gear when stopped at a traffic light can help slightly with the figures... I can get to 1.9L with no aircon on, but then to 2.2 with air con. When stuck in D it will be consistently above 2.5L.

Of course I bought my V8 for the drive and not the fuel consumption so the N is only selected for those heavy traffic jam situations!

4. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    So an engine just shy of 4x the displacement of your ecoboost uses 4x the fuel and you're shocked?..

What if I guarantee you'll get a shedload more than 4x the fun from your VF?..that should soften the blow a bit..

If you are concerned about fuel economy, you bought the wrong car. My advice -forget about the fuel, Use your right foot liberally...and enjoy it.. ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    DFCO

lmoengnr likes this.
  6. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Our my 15 Prado goes to zero at lights idleing as does my ranger(13 build)

7. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    There are plenty of cars around that use no fuel when stopped at lights since they have auto stop/start tech. And some manufacturer simply show 0 when not moving, maybe because in those cars the gauge has painted ltrs/100kms on it and showing ltrs/hrs is then wrong (I think old BMW were like that).

When my MSE is started cold, I see 3.6 ltrs/hr when idling, after a bit it does move into the 2.? ltrs/hr rate.

Luckily no stop/start on my MSE as I find such a feature annoying. But what I don’t understand is why Holden capped fuel consumption at 39.9 ltrs/100kms when they could show what the LS3 really drinks at take off. I’d prefer to see the consumption at all speeds and throttle openings. It’s all digital so there is no problem displaying the correct amount being used, it’s simply for them to remove the ‘if consumption > 39.9 display 39.9 ltrs/100kms’ statement from the ECM/BCM/Cluster software or whatever module the consumption is calculated.

8. lordsnipe

lordsnipe Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV
    Maybe shocked wasn't the right word... and real world usage is about double (6L/100km vs 12L/100km), so 4x the idle consumption despite double the cylinders/heads (and 4x displacement) wasn't expected.

Whilst the VF is quicker in a straight line for sure, it's not as much fun as my Fiesta ST in twisty roads, sorry. But I can't carry children in it easily so for now, I have both :)

And yes, with the HSV midsection and bimodals open, the right foot is exercised liberally to extract as much noise as possible when the VF is driven!

monty_vfssv likes this.
  9. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Must be a bit of a hoon eh? They probably have it set to 39.9 L/100kms so you keep your eyes on the road instead of worrying about instant fuel usage when putting your foot down..

The display already gives us heaps of feedback with regards to fuel consumption as it is..

10. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    The Mitsubishi 380 used to show 99.9lts when you licked it in the guts. Was fun to see while on hire in Tassie. I remember thinking I never saw the VE go that high back in the year I had it.

11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yeah, old 6 cylinder Fords with drive computer instead of clock also capped at 99.9 which I can understand if the display is a three segment display. But, IMO, Holden has absolutely no reason to cap at 39.9 which is just stupid.
    Me a hoon, nah as I’d hate to do this to my car.

I simply expect any gauge or display within my vehicle to be capable of fully displaying whatever parameter is being measured and which the vehicle is capable of delivering.

How would you feel with a speedo that is capped at 120 kph so you aren’t distracted by excessive speed? It’s a rhetorical question as I expect no one would be happy with such so I’m surprised you seem to accept and find arguments for a 39.9 ltr/100km cap.

12. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    Well you got yourself a bit of a hoons car! I read somewhere they ran the LS3 engine for 260 hours WOT in one of the tests conducted by GM. The car can certainly take a beating. As for showing more than 39.9, how accurate do you think it would be under WOT conditions?

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    :)
    Yeah, supposedly strong and with the extra cooling bits the vehicle is able to better cope with getting rid of the heat (though I’m surprised the rockers didn’t let go :p ) :cool:
    I’d expect fuel use would be rather accurate as ECU controls injection pulse, even at WOT. So with known injector flow rate and pulse rate at a given fuel pressure, the ECU exactly knows how much fuel is going into the engine. If it didn’t, and things would lean out, we’d have all sorts of problems.

14. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Yeah fair enough just cant think of many situations where you would be using more than 40L/100kms of fuel at a constant rate.. maybe towing a caravan slowly up a steep hill??

And if your wanting to know your fuel usage on a take off (while accellerating) its going to be limited anyway, as it's relevant to your (changing) velocity and will be obscured by how often the ecu updates the fuel usage/100kms on the display. Would have to be displayed over a graph like some other manufacturers do to make any sense.

I only use my Speedo to stay within the local speed limits, never really look at my speedo in a track situation so having it limited wouldnt bother me too much. All my bikes had there Speedo limited to 299kmph not entirely sure why, but probably some government law thing cause they know stuff..

15. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    Rockers were due to change of supplier and manufacturing issue.

16. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yes i know Anthony, the comment was just a quip as should be evident from the emoji.

However, I've previously made the point that when a manufacturer changes a parts supplier, the new component should be put through a barrage of QA tests to ensure it meets or exceeds the quality level of the previous part. Doubt such testing was done.

Such QA parts testing is especially important when changed part are used in an vehicle that has been tested to meet GM level 3 certification. Without doing such testing when parts suppliers are changed, GM level 3 certification has no meaning. Quite frankly i don't know how GM can keep its various ISO quality cerifications under such conditions of manufacture.

17. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Don’t get upset over someone replying to your constant passive aggression Skylark, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

18. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Not upset at all tml.

19. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Glad to hear it.

20. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    And some other manufacturers like:
    Rolls Royce with the Trent engine
    General Electric with the LEAP engine
    Pratt & Whitney with the GP 7200 engine.