Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by houndogss, Mar 12, 2016.

1. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    V8 owners talking fuel economy, what's the world coming too? :confused:

2. redvxr8clubby

redvxr8clubby Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
    I know this is a late reply from May, I have AFM SS and used to have a VXII LS1 Calais, and plus I have the VX Clubby (manual). On a trip from Sydney to Brisbane, either the VX Calais or the Clubby do about (or just under) 10l/ 100Km. My VE SS AFM does just under 9.0 /100km on the Sydney to Brisbane trip, so I'd put the AFM as 10% better economy on a trip.

monstar likes this.
  3. ShinWow

ShinWow Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
    Hey guys, so, I swapped my 6L manual VE for a 6.2L manual VFII and I've noticed a rather large and consistent increase in fuel consumption around town. Some might be thinking "well duh, it's an extra .2L", but according to the official specs, the combined fuel economy for the VFII should be 12.6L/100 whereas my VE was supposed to be 14.4L/100.

I could quite easily get my VE into the mid 14's (~2000km since last reset), but I'm struggling to keep the VF in the 15's. I'm certainly not driving the VF harder, so I'm not sure if the official figures are BS, or maybe something might be wrong with the VF? The VF is brand new with ~1700km on it. Neither car have been tuned aftermarket or modified.

monstar likes this.
  4. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    I have teh same problem. My VFII SSVR is in the 14-15L/100, even with taking it easy.

monstar likes this.
  5. Adza75

Adza75 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    I don't keep looking at the economy stats... I just stay off that screen and drive it.

6. CalaisNQ

CalaisNQ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II Calais V V8 Sportwagon
    If you worry too much about fuel economy, I think you bought the wrong car.
    Many things can effect economy, if you have avg speed of less than 50ks, fuel economy display can seem to be high.
    I would try the good old, write down how many ks travel from full tank, then how many litres to fill back up & calculate L/KM.
    All I can say is I'm getting better economy, than my old vz ls1, but it did take a few thousand Ks for that to happen, being a new car give it some time.

7. notmy SS

notmy SS New Member

Members Ride:
    LC150 Prado M16 SSV
    Our 4 month old SSV Auto is sitting squarely on 12-14L, now this is with my wife driving the kids to school everyday, and me blowing the cobwebs out on the weekends when I shoot down to Bunnings.

Typical fill ups are 64L with 500kms covered, and around 50kms left in the tank (+/-30km).

The Wifes school runs are 12mins at 80kmh so very economical cruising, this would comprise of 80% of her trips, the other 20% are sub 60kmh urban cruising, but I know she only leans on the loud pedal just enough to keep the bi-model open during acceleration.

We have hardly taken the car on the highway yet but I reckon solid 10s would constitute a good highway run. The best ever consumption over 100km distance was 10.8 according to the trip computer.

At the end of the day our 4 Cyl outback used 55L of fuel to cover 500kms, so the extra 10L is nothing which you consider the engine and power out put are 300% higher.

8. DanielSS-V

DanielSS-V Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline
    Didn't they put shorter gearing in the VFII V8's? That typically wouldn't help fuel economy around town.

9. ShinWow

ShinWow Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
    I'm not worried about it consuming more fuel, moreso if there was something wrong with the car causing it to consume more fuel. Just seeing if anyone experienced similar when upgrading to rule that out or not :)

Thanks for your feedback!

10. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    Ok well let me ask something bold, given I have an SSV Redline as a daily driver.

What if anything can be done to increase the fuel economy?

11. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    I'm at 3300kms in SS manual and at 11.1 avg speed

12. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    So I'm finding it a tad confusing to determine what my average fuel economy is. There are two screens on my redline which show AVG consumption and they both are different figures. Which one is the correct average fuel consumption and what are the differences between the two different screens?

IMG_4632.jpg IMG_4631.jpg

13. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Hi mate, the first one is your overall average fuel economy, and the second one is your average over the last 100km of driving. This can be changed between 25km, 50km and 100km. :)

Davesumner and Paulie81 like this.
  14. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    Thanks for the reply, that makes total sense now. I went through the user handbook but could not make sense of it. This is why this forum is awesome!

Mr_Toad and tml678 like this.
  15. jetfrost

jetfrost Active Member

Members Ride:
    Motorsport
    Hi all,
    Holden's Recommended fuel: ULP or PULP for slightly higher performance (E10 compatible)

Just to quote an article on what fuel to use in your car from Car Advice:
    “Here’s the thing: you can put a higher octane fuel in a car than the manufacturer’s requirement. No problem with putting 95 or even 98 in a car designed for 91 – except generally you will be wasting money. Higher octane fuels don’t contain more energy. Octane rating is basically resistance to burning under pressure, allowing higher compression ratios to be used (cylinder pressures, actually).

A modern engine designed for 91 will even deliver a very small amount of additional power if fed 95 or 98 because it will advance the timing a little more than with 91. The improvement will be very minor. So minor you probably won’t notice it.

Most engine design experts I’ve ever spoken to regard running higher octane fuel in an engine designed for a lower octane fuel as basically a waste of money.

However, it’s an unmitigated disaster to put a lower-octane fuel in an engine than the one recommended by the manufacturer. This can lead to severe engine damage.”

The link:
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/93272/what-fuel-should-i-use-in-my-car/

Like the Figures on your consumption, it'll be interesting to see how we all average out compared to the factory stated fuel ecenomy: see below.

Factory stated Fuel economy: (L/100km) 12.6L/100km Fuel economy based on ADR 81/02 testing for combined urban/extra urban driving. These figures are provided to assist you in comparing the fuel consumption of this vehicle with other vehicles.
    "Fuel consumption depends on factors such as traffic conditions, vehicle condition, vehicle load and your driving style."

I likke this above clause because you can't hold it against their claim; their Loophole

16. Brabham

Brabham Active Member

Members Ride:
    Nitrate VF2 SSVR
    I found driving my wifes Mazda helps. :)

Seriously though, the usual stuff. Keep weight down & pretend there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal.

Paulie81 likes this.
  17. MYVESSV8

MYVESSV8 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    don't drive a v8, simples

18. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    I'm curious to know how the dash display gets the reading. Probably because of the tune, mine is drinking a lot more than what the display says. The display might say 14lt/100km, but if i calculate it properly when i fill up, it's closer to 18lt/100km.

19. atomic_ute

atomic_ute Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sportwagon S2
    Don't think of it as a fuel economy indicator, but a "fun" indicator in which higher numbers are actually better...

ZedBee and Brabham like this.
  20. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    I'm getting solid 13.2l/100km around town and 9.8l/100km on freeway.