Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I'm at 3300kms in SS manual and at 11.1 avg speed

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
So I'm finding it a tad confusing to determine what my average fuel economy is. There are two screens on my redline which show AVG consumption and they both are different figures. Which one is the correct average fuel consumption and what are the differences between the two different screens?

IMG_4632.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi mate, the first one is your overall average fuel economy, and the second one is your average over the last 100km of driving. This can be changed between 25km, 50km and 100km. :)

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Hi mate, the first one is your overall average fuel economy, and the second one is your average over the last 100km of driving. This can be changed between 25km, 50km and 100km. :)

Thanks for the reply, that makes total sense now. I went through the user handbook but could not make sense of it. This is why this forum is awesome!

jetfrost

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Hi all,
Holden's Recommended fuel: ULP or PULP for slightly higher performance (E10 compatible)

Just to quote an article on what fuel to use in your car from Car Advice:
“Here’s the thing: you can put a higher octane fuel in a car than the manufacturer’s requirement. No problem with putting 95 or even 98 in a car designed for 91 – except generally you will be wasting money. Higher octane fuels don’t contain more energy. Octane rating is basically resistance to burning under pressure, allowing higher compression ratios to be used (cylinder pressures, actually).

A modern engine designed for 91 will even deliver a very small amount of additional power if fed 95 or 98 because it will advance the timing a little more than with 91. The improvement will be very minor. So minor you probably won’t notice it.

Most engine design experts I’ve ever spoken to regard running higher octane fuel in an engine designed for a lower octane fuel as basically a waste of money.

However, it’s an unmitigated disaster to put a lower-octane fuel in an engine than the one recommended by the manufacturer. This can lead to severe engine damage.”

The link:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/93272/what-fuel-should-i-use-in-my-car/

Like the Figures on your consumption, it'll be interesting to see how we all average out compared to the factory stated fuel ecenomy: see below.

Factory stated Fuel economy: (L/100km) 12.6L/100km Fuel economy based on ADR 81/02 testing for combined urban/extra urban driving. These figures are provided to assist you in comparing the fuel consumption of this vehicle with other vehicles.
"Fuel consumption depends on factors such as traffic conditions, vehicle condition, vehicle load and your driving style."

I likke this above clause because you can't hold it against their claim; their Loophole

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Ok well let me ask something bold, given I have an SSV Redline as a daily driver.

What if anything can be done to increase the fuel economy?

I found driving my wifes Mazda helps. :)

Seriously though, the usual stuff. Keep weight down & pretend there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I'm curious to know how the dash display gets the reading. Probably because of the tune, mine is drinking a lot more than what the display says. The display might say 14lt/100km, but if i calculate it properly when i fill up, it's closer to 18lt/100km.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Don't think of it as a fuel economy indicator, but a "fun" indicator in which higher numbers are actually better...

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I'm getting solid 13.2l/100km around town and 9.8l/100km on freeway.