Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series II Calais OR WN Caprice?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Caprice is just a nice drive
yep a bargain, ex govt ones are nice a cheap and well looked after.
Hmm … this comment made me look on CarSales … yeah, if I were after a Calais sedan (obviously a wagon is a different kettle of fish) then saving ~$10k to buy the Caprice would very much be something I'd be seriously considering.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
but unless you're 7'6" tall I don't think it's actually any more comfortable back there than a Commodore/Calais,

Actually it's a helluva lot more rear legroom in a caprice vs a Calais Forg, and coupled with this:

then saving ~$10k to buy the Caprice would very much be something I'd be seriously considering.

Makes the Caprice a VERY tempting proposition. The only things that the Calais has over it are VF level exterior and bimodals.

But 10k is 10k......my money is on Caprice.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually it's a helluva lot more rear legroom in a caprice vs a Calais Forg
I know it's a heap roomier, but that doesn't make it proportionately that much more comfortable back there, there's already enough room for it to be comfy in a Commodore … although IMHO the person buying & driving the thing is the most important, and there's no more interior-room-related comfort in the driver's seat. :)
No it's the price which would sway me, unless I had to regularly park in a small parking-spot of course. :)

Does an LS3 Calais get the bimodal exhaust?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Actually it's a helluva lot more rear legroom in a caprice vs a Calais Forg, and coupled with this:

Makes the Caprice a VERY tempting proposition. The only things that the Calais has over it are VF level exterior and bimodals.

But 10k is 10k......my money is on Caprice.
Stick on an aftermarket bimodal catback for around $2500 and you're well ahead.
This Calais vs Caprice discussion is something I've been having with myself for about 6 months now. There's positives for both and really both cars are great.
I ended up leaning towards the Calais but only because I prefer the way it looks and how it feels like a mixture of sports and luxury.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
and there's no more interior-room-related comfort in the driver's seat.

Have you seen how much further back the drivers seat goes in caprice compared to Calais? It'd be close to a foot...

In my previous LS3 Calais wagon, I had the seat as far back as it could go (I'm 6'2"), and while it was comfy, I wouldn't wanted it any closer. I hired a WN caprice about 12mths ago and I was nowhere near that point. In fact when I put the seat all the way back, I could just touch the pedals with my toes.

Does an LS3 Calais get the bimodal exhaust?

Yes, although changing to aftermarket ones on caprice (or even fitting OEM bimodals) wouldn't make up the 10k difference

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
Regarding the Caprice/Calais choice, don't forget the handling differences due to the longer wheelbase of the Caprice. The Calais feels nippier through the turns, but the Caprice is smoother on the bumpier bits. The Calais has the LSD. Don't know if the Caprice does.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you seen how much further back the drivers seat goes in caprice compared to Calais? It'd be close to a foot...
I’m also 6’2”, and I don’t put the Commodore’s seat all the way back; it’s more comfortable a bit forward.
So being able to push further back != more comfort. :)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Regarding the Caprice/Calais choice, don't forget the handling differences due to the longer wheelbase of the Caprice. The Calais feels nippier through the turns, but the Caprice is smoother on the bumpier bits. The Calais has the LSD. Don't know if the Caprice does.

I thought the Caprice handles very well for the size of the car. I took one over the Otways and that was so enjoyable driving through the twisty hills

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Stick on an aftermarket bimodal catback for around $2500 and you're well ahead.
This Calais vs Caprice discussion is something I've been having with myself for about 6 months now. There's positives for both and really both cars are great.
I ended up leaning towards the Calais but only because I prefer the way it looks and how it feels like a mixture of sports and luxury.
My thoughts exactly. The Calais has much better body styling in my opinion. I reakon there will be a Calais in the driveway after Christmas at my place