Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series II Calais OR WN Caprice?

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
My thoughts exactly. The Calais has much better body styling in my opinion. I reakon there will be a Calais in the driveway after Christmas at my place
Hi
I have a WN Caprice V in the rare colour of Empire bronze. These car's may be a VE on the outside but they more than make up for it on the inside & with the LS3 & standard exhaust what a sleeper. If you want to noise it up put the bimodal mufflers from a VF ute on, i done this on my WM,one thing you can't control the bimodal function but what a kool sound.

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi
I have a WN Caprice V in the rare colour of Empire bronze. These car's may be a VE on the outside but they more than make up for it on the inside & with the LS3 & standard exhaust what a sleeper. If you want to noise it up put the bimodal mufflers from a VF ute on, i done this on my WM,one thing you can't control the bimodal function but what a kool sound.

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi
WN Caprice all the way. Get it in a rare colour combination. I feel the longer wheel base hugs the road better,but depends on your tire choice(I'm running 255/35r20s potenzas on the rear) & it bites hard & launches even harder.I thought my WM Caprice was a good car but my WN is a whole nother world. I absolutely can't wait to drive it they are an amazing car at a bargain price. But yes with an aged look.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m not so convinced about the ‘aged look’ thing. While I still look at our VF and think “that’s still a nice looking car”, I’ve also always been a bit torn about the styling; it’s always looked to me like someone touched-up a VE to try to make it fit in with an Impala and a Malibu. I generally fall for the trick of liking the newest thing, but if it weren’t for the interior I don’t think I’d favour a VF over a VE2.

I think the WM still holds that more pure original design.
But hey, it’s all personal preference. :)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I’m not so convinced about the ‘aged look’ thing. While I still look at our VF and think “that’s still a nice looking car”,

Agreed, but they won't age well. Ironically I think it's the interior that mostly won't stand the test of time. It was very 'now' during the first couple of years of production, but even from around 2016 onwards, it was starting to date.

someone touched-up a VE to try to make it fit in with an Impala and a Malibu.

VF actually took a lot of styling cues from Malibu. Not hard to see where.

but if it weren’t for the interior I don’t think I’d favour a VF over a VE2.

Stand about a metre back from the bonnet edge of a VF and VE and look over them. VF really shines in that profile for mine.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Does the WM Caprice have paddle shifters?
If it were me, I'd go the Caprice over the Calais. Despite the fact that I also much prefer the look of the VF over VE2. That long luxo sleeper cruiser, with all the fruit really appeals to me. Might get one myself one day...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Does the WM Caprice have paddle shifters?
If it were me, I'd go the Caprice over the Calais. Despite the fact that I also much prefer the look of the VF over VE2. That long luxo sleeper cruiser, with all the fruit really appeals to me. Might get one myself one day...

No paddle shifters in Caprice Cuda, but I'm like you, I just love the classic lines it has and the fact that it harks back to a motoring ethos of days gone by, a big heavy rear wheel drive V8 sedan with loads of comfort. I've always had a real soft spot for it. I'll grab one some day myself without a doubt.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you really wanted paddle shifters, surely you could take some of the ~$10k you saved buying a Caprice instead of a Calais, and spend it on some hacker-person & a paddle steering wheel?
Not that I’m a paddle-believer; if it’s an auto, it’s an auto, and none of these buttony doodads are going to reintroduce the driver-involvement of a manual.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Paddles are hard to get used to especially when changing gears while the wheels are turned. That said there pretty fun and quicker than a manual.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh even non-paddle auto cars are quicker than manual ones these days; multi-clutch computer-operated manuals even more so!
But I kinda don’t care what’s fastest, I just want what’s funnest. :)
Obviously it’s totally different if you’re trying to pull the fastest numbers; but when even a $55k Commodore can do sub 13s quarters that’s plenty plenty fast enough for road use, and (to ME at least - obviously everyone has different preferences) it’s more about the funs than the fasts once you get to that point.

I mean ... a Diablo, a Diablo would be embarrassed by a standard humble Commodore!
:)