Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series II Calais OR WN Caprice?

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi
In the market for a VF 2 Calais or WN Caprice (2015-2017) 6.2 LS3.

My mates old man has a 2014 WN Caprice I like the comfort but not too sure on the long wheel base body.
Im leaning more towards the Calais. I wish Holden had installed the roof mounted dvd player in the Calais.
Anyone offer advice/Pros and Cons of each?
Also as Im new to exploring the VF range any known issues or things to look for when buying with the VF Series II range or the 6.2 LSA?
Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t think there are reliability reasons to look at one or the other, obviously the bigger/longer car weighs more yet has the same power & the same brakes.

So I think the question is; what are you interested in the Caprice over the Calais for?
Why are you looking at a Calais as opposed to an SSV Redline; and if it’s comfort, then maybe that means you’d prefer the even comfier Caprice? If still Calais, what about it do you like over the Caprice?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hard decision, I'd like one of each...

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Get the Calais.
I really like the Caprice but apart from more leg room in the back, the Calais is my pick.
It looks way better. VF is a great shape and the Caprice is still a VE on the outside.
Plus It has the bimodal exhaust (caprice doesn't)

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
I don’t think there are reliability reasons to look at one or the other, obviously the bigger/longer car weighs more yet has the same power & the same brakes.

So I think the question is; what are you interested in the Caprice over the Calais for?
Why are you looking at a Calais as opposed to an SSV Redline; and if it’s comfort, then maybe that means you’d prefer the even comfier Caprice? If still Calais, what about it do you like over the Caprice?
Had a Hothouse Green VY SS years back. Th Redline is basically an Evoke with an 8 in it. Looking for more comfort and gadgets these days. I prefer the more sporty look of the VF Calais.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Th Redline is basically an Evoke with an 8 in it. Looking for more comfort and gadgets these days. I prefer the more sporty look of the VF Calais.
The Redline has just as high a spec level as the Calais, it's just different equipment … given the suspension, brakes etc I actually think of the Calais as an Evoke with a 70's chrome grille & wheels :). There's nothing actually useful extra in the Calais though, it's all stuff like lights that shine on the ground when you open the door. No … I take that back, I see you're in Melbourne; the exterior mirror heaters in the Calais aren't fitted to Redline, that might be useful for you if you don't park undercover overnight.
I'd recommend having a look at least, a Redline isn't an SS. That way, if you do like it, you've got a wider choice of cars for sale to choose from.

And the only reason you've given for the Caprice is the rear DVD player. I presume this is for kids? They'll be just as happy with a pair of tablets, and you won't have to drive the car you don't prefer. :) It just sounds like you prefer the non-lino car; the space in the back of the Caprice is nice, but unless you're 7'6" tall I don't think it's actually any more comfortable back there than a Commodore/Calais, and you're lugging all that extra car around (and paying for the extra fuel & missing out on some performance).
It's no more comfortable in the front (ie. extra room in the car doesn't add more comfort as a driver); any extra comfort is due to a plusher ride (extra weight - maybe softer suspension dunno about that).

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My pick - the caprice all the way. It'll be similar money (if not a bit cheaper due to lesser popularity). The extra room is worth the slightly more dated exterior. These are a bargain at a couple of years old and low kms

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I had a Calais V in the VF. I have driven a few WN Caprices and fell in love with them. You will lose the Bi-modal exhaust and have the old body shape from the VE but the comfort of that vehicle is so much better than the Calais SWB. My kids loved the Caprice too. A sleeper they called it but went like hell!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
My pick - the caprice all the way. It'll be similar money (if not a bit cheaper due to lesser popularity). The extra room is worth the slightly more dated exterior. These are a bargain at a couple of years old and low kms

Caprice is just a nice drive
yep a bargain, ex govt ones are nice a cheap and well looked after.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Had a Hothouse Green VY SS years back. Th Redline is basically an Evoke with an 8 in it. Looking for more comfort and gadgets these days. I prefer the more sporty look of the VF Calais.
Yes SS's were pretty pov feature wise back in the day. As you say, basically an exec with an 8 and some spoilers.
A VF Redline however, is basically a sporty Calais. Same luxury interior and gadgets. Just misses out on a few things like heated seats and mirrors plus dipping mirrors when reversing.