Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series1 or II?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
S1 seats aren't necessarily better. We have an S1 Redline, same seats as S2.
CD player is close to no-care, DVD player DEFINITELY no-care ... occasionally I see music in a shop that I want to play on the way home, video in a car on such a tiny screen is near irrelevant, if you spend lots of time waiting for someone or some-such a portable DVD player in the glove-box costs near nothing.
S2 Redline suspension is better, LS3 is a better engine - sure you can mod an S1 engine to make it close, but spend the same on the LS3 and it's better again. Cylinder deactivation is complication waiting to cause trouble.
Again in Redline, 4 Brembos in S2.
If you're not a car enthusiast, and hence want an auto, then only the 2015 S1 has flappy-paddles.

If V6 ... really doesn't matter.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Really depends on what you're after. I bought my S1 SS new, it owes me less than a new S2 Redline. It's got as much power as a GTS, front and rear Brembos, sticks to the road with a set of RE003's and staggered fit rims and is a whole lot more fun to drive than a S2 Redline.

If you aren't interested in mods, get the S2.

Comfal

Reaction score
V6. I would go series 1. (Better looking Alloys and still has a CD and rear cup holders)

V8 . Definetly series 2. ( Just for the engine)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yes, of the VF's, only the MY15 has flappy-paddles. :)

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
S1 seats aren't necessarily better. We have an S1 Redline, same seats as S2.
CD player is close to no-care, DVD player DEFINITELY no-care ... occasionally I see music in a shop that I want to play on the way home, video in a car on such a tiny screen is near irrelevant, if you spend lots of time waiting for someone or some-such a portable DVD player in the glove-box costs near nothing.
S2 Redline suspension is better, LS3 is a better engine - sure you can mod an S1 engine to make it close, but spend the same on the LS3 and it's better again. Cylinder deactivation is complication waiting to cause trouble.
Again in Redline, 4 Brembos in S2.
If you're not a car enthusiast, and hence want an auto, then only the 2015 S1 has flappy-paddles.

If V6 ... really doesn't matter.
Early production series 1 VF Redline, had different foam in seats and higher bolstering in lower part of front seats. They are most definitely better and more comfortable then current Redlines. You also got the red stitching on them.

I think the lower grade foam from SS was put in them sometime late 2013 or 2014 as a running change. You can tell the difference visually, because the newer seats are as flat as a pancake compared to the earlier Redlines.

Series 1 also had the dual horn, more sound insulation, rear seat cupholders and forged alloy wheels.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Mine's a series 2 and has rear seat cupholders?

As far as the seat issue goes, my understanding is they changed it because of the excessive number of warranty claims for squashed bolsters in the early S1. I daresay the issue was exacerbated by some people not taking due care in entering/exiting the vehicle and placing unnecessary weight/stress on the bolsters.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheap enough as a dealer fitted accessory though
I think it's a fair bit more involved if you've got a pre-flappy-paddle era VF1 though (as in the dealer can't do it, you need to take it to someone who can hack the relevant module for you).

Mine's a series 2 and has rear seat cupholders?
Someone else 'round here said that the cupholders continued in the wagon, probably cheaper to keep using the same parts rather than come-up with a new less-complicated part.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think it's a fair bit more involved if you've got a pre-flappy-paddle era VF1 though (as in the dealer can't do it, you need to take it to someone who can hack the relevant module for you).

Someone else 'round here said that the cupholders continued in the wagon, probably cheaper to keep using the same parts rather than come-up with a new less-complicated part.
No longer need to hack the module, aftermarket S1 DIY with back cover and little harness.
VE is still quite an effort.