Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had an LJ GTR, which I sold in the 80s when I got a company car (mighty 2L sigma!).
A few years later I was looking for a car and I bought a 4 door SL. It had a factory 3300 which was very rare (most were 2850). This option came with wider rims and disc brakes. The brakes were identical to those on the GTR.
XU-1 had a bigger booster and thicker discs.
BTW I had that SL for 30 years until someone ran into the back of it and wrote it off!!! I took my wife to hospital in it for the birth of my first son and then I tought him to drive in it!

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Hey @Ron Burgundy just throwing out the option
5A2C9E78-1986-4AF2-ABB9-87AF66F79A6E.jpeg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That would require full testing as opposed to quick check by an engineer of stock brembos. Lot more time and money involved !
Yes it would require full testing but once it’s done, that engineer would have all the paperwork required to be able to rubber stamp any other CTS-V 6 piston upgrades on a specific model.

As such you’d think they’d be open to some form of cost amortisation over a number of such upgrades. That way it’s not cost prohibitive to any one individual. After all that’s how any new product is costed otherwise a new product would price itself out of the market if the first buyer had to pay for product development o_O

So you’d think after doing some basic market research to determine the market need, these certifying engineers would buy these callipers and make a certified kit for specific models. As part of that research you’d think they’d lurk these forums. Sadly, from where I sit, it all seems to be too much work for certifying engineers and they seem to rather a singular and greed based approach to the point of doing themselves out of a potentially somewhat higher volume of such work.

Meh o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Here is an example of brake upgrade that does not require certification...

Does anyone know if base model LC Torana could be optioned from the factory with GTR brakes or you had to buy GTR Torana to have these brakes ?
Back then a model was seen as based on the body itself so things were much easier in the pre ABS/EBD/ESC days. As such it was easy to take bits from the top of the line model and install them on a base model without much drama.

Now we have much more complex vehicle systems and it seem to have brought in the era of “model variant” so that for example an evoke is considered a different beast to an redline. End result is that swapping parts between model variants is not as easy these days :oops: but it’s all rule interpretation.

Some have a differing view to what I’ve been told by rego authorities and certifying group within DOTARS o_O and if your engineer is happy to sign off 4 pot brembos for minimal $, take the win and rejoice :p

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Back then a model was seen as based on the body itself so things were much easier in the pre ABS/EBD/ESC days. As such it was easy to take bits from the top of the line model and install them on a base model without much drama.

Now we have much more complex vehicle systems and it seem to have brought in the era of “model variant” so that for example an evoke is considered a different beast to an redline. End result is that swapping parts between model variants is not as easy these days :oops: but it’s all rule interpretation.

Some have a differing view to what I’ve been told by rego authorities and certifying group within DOTARS o_O and if your engineer is happy to sign off 4 pot brembos for minimal $, take the win and rejoice :p

You are right.

This is what Holden engineer said a while back...

I am now asking the guy i have been talking to if suspension and abs/esc matters for him to cerify this without testing...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180501-190908_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20180501-190908_Gmail.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 201

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Ok @Ron Burgundy I have a plan
Ok you move to qld for 2 months (think of it as an extended holiday) throw the brakes on the car get the mod plated/ engineer certificate in qld because it much easier then go home and all should be good. Lol

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Ok @Ron Burgundy I have a plan
Ok you move to qld for 2 months (think of it as an extended holiday) throw the brakes on the car get the mod plated/ engineer certificate in qld because it much easier then go home and all should be good. Lol
LOL I was thinking exactly the same , but he'll have to wait for the border to open , road worthy and rego then reverse the whole prosses then they may not even let him back into NSW :rolleyes:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
You are right.

This is what Holden engineer said a while back...

I am now asking the guy i have been talking to if suspension and abs/esc matters for him to cerify this without testing...

Didn't the Craig Lowndes edition come out with Brembo front and rear. If I recall, it was VFI with the 6lt, but that shouldn’t affect the abs/esc.