Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Didn't the Craig Lowndes edition come out with Brembo front and rear. If I recall, it was VFI with the 6lt, but that shouldn’t affect the abs/esc.
Mine is VF II

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ok @Ron Burgundy I have a plan
Ok you move to qld for 2 months (think of it as an extended holiday) throw the brakes on the car get the mod plated/ engineer certificate in qld because it much easier then go home and all should be good. Lol
Pandemic lockdown aside, I thought state based certification was just that, state based and not nationally valid.

I’ve always understood that if you bought a car in one state and drove it back to your home state, then it’d have to be re-registered in your home state (after 3 months). With that in mind, you may find you also need to do a recertification if it’s modded and they notice such :eek: I could be wrong so it would be interesting to hear people’s experience with interstate modded car purchases ;)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Pandemic lockdown aside, I thought state based certification was just that, state based and not nationally valid.

I’ve always understood that if you bought a car in one state and drove it back to your home state, then it’d have to be re-registered in your home state (after 3 months). With that in mind, you may find you also need to do a recertification if it’s modded and they notice such :eek: I could be wrong so it would be interesting to hear people’s experience with interstate modded car purchases ;)
Nope, your 100% correct

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
You are right.

This is what Holden engineer said a while back...

I am now asking the guy i have been talking to if suspension and abs/esc matters for him to cerify this without testing...

I just had this clarified by the engineer

Suspension, wheel and abs/esc calibrations do not matter as they are from a 'similar car' with similar specs and the following parameters are within specs where testing is not required:

Parameter

Tare mass (kg) is within +10% (it's -2% for my car)

Wheelbase (mm) is the same

CoG (mm) is the same

Power (kw) is the same

Maximum tyre Size (mm) is the same

Minimum tyre size (mm) is within + or - 7% (it's 1%)

upload_2020-4-14_13-41-16.png

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Holden wants 3k for bare calipers
Add $440 for pins and anti rattle clips...
No brake pads !

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Planet parts has a kit with adapters for vt-vz but it uses a VF calipers. Maybe you could shot them an email and see if they can do the kit with out the adapters for a little cheaper?
2985C365-7D0C-46FE-8BCF-E07B41FA64C2.jpeg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Planet parts has a kit with adapters for vt-vz but it uses a VF calipers. Maybe you could shot them an email and see if they can do the kit with out the adapters for a little cheaper? View attachment 210531

Needs to be from Holden or authorised Brembo dealer for certification if new.

It can also be second hand if invoice shows VIN number from the car that it was removed from.

Pretty sure planet parts sell repainted version...
Their web site says they get them in silver and then repaint...

I flagged this with couple wreckers and I am waiting fro some calls when they get a suitable set in...

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
You could also go with these. These bolted straight on (with exception of banjo bolts for fronts) and mods to the rear plate that wraps around the read discs. And the engineer that I had do the certification and mod plate in QLD advised that it was not needed as these exact parts were on the E series HSV's. I did the mod plate just to be sure there was no debate. And personally they look awesome and they are full genuine AP Racing kit.

Just a thought.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Here is an example of brake upgrade that does not require certification...

Does anyone know if base model LC Torana could be optioned from the factory with GTR brakes or you had to buy GTR Torana to have these brakes ?

My LX Torana has a front and rear disc brake conversion from a WB Statesman.

The conversion was required as part of the certification process when the 350 SBC was being engineered into the car.

Ron I haven't read all the thread but are you saying you can't get certification for the VF if the equipment isn't OEM for one of the VF model variants?

Or are you saying you don't need certification if it's OEM to the same model variants?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My LX Torana has a front and rear disc brake conversion from a WB Statesman.

The conversion was required as part of the certification process when the 350 SBC was being engineered into the car.

Ron I haven't read all the thread but are you saying you can't get certification for the VF if the equipment isn't OEM for one of the VF model variants?

Or are you saying you don't need certification if it's OEM to the same model variants?

I need certification as RMS treats Black ed. and Redline as totally different cars ;)