Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Edit.

*****For a summary of all this go here *****
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-ss-brembo-brake-upgrade-vol-2.281321/post-3091170

This is Vol 1. of the saga

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...rake-upgrade-from-ss-to-brembo-brakes.270803/

Hi All

When I inquired with holden about what Brake master cylinder is fitted to my car they were not sure. They could say the difference between brembo package bmc and non brembo bmc...but not which one is fitted to my car with heavy duty brakes.

This was their answer:

"We have been advised by a Holden Subject Matter Expert, the master cylinder is a different diameter. It is 27mm for Brembo and 25.4mm for others."

I was looking at my BMC tonight and noticed it has number 27 stamped on it.
The picture shows where the number is stamped. I am not sure if this is a coincidence or it is in fact larger BMC due to Police spec brakes.

I would really appreciate if you could look at your car and see what number you have and let me know. Would be good to know what redline commodores have stamped as well as non redline models so I can compare.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180427-135140_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180427-135140_Gallery.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Ron Burgundy I think I remember reading somewhere that the police spec option got the larger master cylinder (the same as the redlines) along with bigger rotors thickness and diameter and a better brake pads. I’ll try and get a pic of my master cylinder tomorrow (MY15 SSV)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
@Ron Burgundy I think I remember reading somewhere that the police spec option got the larger master cylinder (the same as the redlines) along with bigger rotors thickness and diameter and a better brake pads.
Yes I heard that too.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
@Ron Burgundy I think I remember reading somewhere that the police spec option got the larger master cylinder (the same as the redlines) along with bigger rotors thickness and diameter and a better brake pads. I’ll try and get a pic of my master cylinder tomorrow (MY15 SSV)
Yes they advertised is as larger bore BMC but when I needed this confirmed by holden in writting they could not confirm 100% this was the case.
Yeah..my car has 345mm rotors and large single piston caliper in the front.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This may come as shock to some (NOT) but I was never a fan of how these brakes look on my car. Always wanted to upgrade to Brembo. This is now back on the cards so need tonwork out if BMC needs to be replaced... ;)

I am just not sure if I do the front only or the rear as well...

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Here is a pic of the BMC fitted to my VF2 Redline. 27 Is stamped on the BMC.

Resized_20200404_235445.jpeg

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
This may come as shock to some (NOT) but I was never a fan of how these brakes look on my car. Always wanted to upgrade to Brembo. This is now back on the cards so need tonwork out if BMC needs to be replaced... ;)
I am just not sure if I do the front only or the rear as well...

If budget allows, I'd go front and rear Brembo's.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
No great rush, so most likely front and rear.
I'm doing the same thing.
I have the fronts already but the rears are getting hard to source at a reasonable price. They are around the same price as the fronts. Even imported via amazon they are close to $1000 shipped.
I'm going to put the bigger bore master on as well.
And leave the standard booster which I think is the same.