Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Electrical Issue

[TOPGEAR]

PUNISHER :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS + VS LS1 ute + VF SS Ute + VE Calais V
Hey I’ve got a series 1 Vf SS with 80,000kms.

The cruise control button on steeering wheel broke and the leather was worn on top of steering wheel.

So I purchased a new/second hand low km steering wheel and fitted it. I disconnected the battery and was very careful step of the way.

Literally took me 10 minutes start to finish. I’ve worked on hundreds of commodores in the past but never a Vf.

Reconnected the battery..... high beam, hazards, washers, wipers and horn are all stuck on constantly I can’t turn them off.

I marked the steering wheel and spline etc before I took it off and went back on in same position. Clock spring all stayed in place and was never removed.

Any ideas ? Doing my head in ! I have triple checked everything step by step that i had done and everything looks fine.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Never pulled a VF steering wheel off but i suspect there would one or two connectors (excluding the airbag connector). If the designers were clever, and that's not a given, all connectors would be different shapes so only the correct parts can be plugged into the corresponding other half. Hopefully the connector pins would also be robust but that's also not a given these days. Then there is the added vehicle smarts these days that are simply a PITA without access to a workshop manual.

So, one suggestion i can make is check all steering wheel side connectors very carefully and make sure they are matted into the correct other half. Also look into the connectors for bent pins or damage. Do the same for the clock spring underside connectors (much harder to check for bent pins but phone camera could be helpful). Also check that the clock spring frame hasn't moved from its shaft position in some way.

Other than that, even if the clock spring internals 'unsprung' i'd think it should still worked when connected up but will fail (snap) when in use.

It's a puzzling one.

[TOPGEAR]

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh it’s weird I’ve checked all that. The plugs are all colour coded. Can’t really go wrong you would think.

Steering wheel controls all work. Car runs and drives. No warning lights or error msgs. It’s just having a fit.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try and disconnect battery for a while, then reconnect it. This may allow the system to 'reset' to a known state. BUT, i don't know if you would loose any custome settings, radio stations, etc in doing this so it's at your risk.

It may work to clear your VF issues as it did in my nephews older commodore (where it decided to go nuts).

[TOPGEAR]

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep tried that... disconnect for an hour. Half a day. All day... 2 days. Doesn’t do anything lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a beer or two and then bang your head on a wall a few times :rolleyes: how dare you want a new steering wheel :p

[TOPGEAR]

Reaction score
Members Ride
yep done that haha had more than enough saturday night but that didnt help.

I even parked it under a big tree today with the heavy winds but no luck.... tree didnt fall on it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha, gotta fine a bigger tree :rolleyes: and have your answers for the insurance company ready :cool:

I had a hail damage claim from a few christmas' ago where the insurance company asked why i went to that location. They accepted the answer that i went to my sisters place for Christmas. They then appoligised for the question as they could detect that i was a little peeved at their question. Got a new car :D

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Is the new wheel from the same level car? If you put the old wheel back on does the car behave itself?