Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Just purchased a stock standard 2016 VF SS (LS3) with 80k on the clock, will be picking it up on Tuesday. I have a few things in mind such as an exhaust system, new wheels and eventually a cam package. I'm a bit overwhelmed and wondering where/what I should start with and what the best brands etc. are as I have never owned a Holden or a v8 before (had a Golf R before this).

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
1. Research for at least a few months before doing anything
2. Know your budget and prioritise, it can get out of hand quickly
3. The internet is full of people with questionable information, but they will all swear blind that they are right, and others are wrong
4. Buy it right, buy it once
5. Plan your build
6. You will not need alot of things that people tell you you need, see point 7.
7. Find a "good" local tuner you can trust, or, travel to a "good" tuner you can trust, they will tell you what works and is required for your budget and goals
8. Not all tuners are good, some are money making monkeys that give no farks about you, or your car, they just want your cash and to sell as many parts that push as possible
9. Spend the small additional money on "real" tuning, not "chip" tuning
10. Most importantly, take everything you read on the interwebs with a grain of salt, especially anything I say, I'm an over opinionated arsehole.......

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Remembering that how you drive a V8 will be different to how you drove your Golf (weight, torque, gearing etc etc), live with the new car for a while, learn how it performs now and what you want it to do better before jumping in.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I agree with Imoengnr, buy once. Plenty of savings to be had by spending a little more the first time around and doing it properly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have never owned a Holden or a v8 before (had a Golf R before this).
Welocme to JC’s and commodore ownership.

I’d say for the moment enjoy your car as is. It’s probably better to spend a little money doing a handling or car control course at a local track so you can become familiar with the power and handling of your new toy and how to get the best out of it... because they behave very differently from FWD or AWD vehicle and the change can and does catch people out :rolleyes:

Heck my insurance company wanted to know what sort of cars I’d driven previously and their power levels before they’d insure :eek:

Once you’ve become familiar with the cars behaviour on a track, you can decide if the power level is ok or not and what changes you’d like... I’ve always thought the diff ratio was a little on the slow side and many say a shorter diff will really liven up the takeoff...

Don’t get me wrong, the SSVR is a wickedly quick car and can get you into some serious trouble but the takeoff seems slow. I’d think at same roads speeds a Golf R will be quicker off the mark and feel quicker... wish the Holden had a double clutch gearbox :p

Anyway, here‘s some videos to watch, cause I like videos :p

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
1. Research for at least a few months before doing anything
2. Know your budget and prioritise, it can get out of hand quickly
3. The internet is full of people with questionable information, but they will all swear blind that they are right, and others are wrong
4. Buy it right, buy it once
5. Plan your build
6. You will not need alot of things that people tell you you need, see point 7.
7. Find a "good" local tuner you can trust, or, travel to a "good" tuner you can trust, they will tell you what works and is required for your budget and goals
8. Not all tuners are good, some are money making monkeys that give no farks about you, or your car, they just want your cash and to sell as many parts that push as possible
9. Spend the small additional money on "real" tuning, not "chip" tuning
10. Most importantly, take everything you read on the interwebs with a grain of salt, especially anything I say, I'm an over opinionated arsehole.......

That's pretty spot on. Enjoy it stock and no need to rush with mods.

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Don't overlook brake upgrades either if it's non-Redline.

One of the biggest differences I noticed in driving the car was upgrading to the Brembos - reckon they should have come standard with them.

Aside from that, posts above are all great advice.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I think to guarantee zero buyers remorse, when the first Golf R out there rolls up and wants to have a go (track day of course) -
Blower - if your lucky, engineered with stock cam/exhaust/cats
SupaShocks - someone on this forum needs to go deep! Reasonably priced handling mods would suffice.
295+ rears
HSV seats - applicable to every Commodore owner
Simple!