Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
On a side note, tossing up between these two, any thoughts?

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I used dragon sport on my STI once, they are not a performance tyre, I replaced them after a few k km

Don't expect alot from them and you won't be disappointed

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Do they tend to do a dodgy and put some oldies on?
Ive had a shop try and put 5 year old tyres on before

If a tyre is more than 1 year old I'm not down for them

Get your tyre quote first, then bring up build dates

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I just had dragon sports put on the front of my SSV. I don’t get up my SSV for the rent and mostly do daily commuting so I’m not too interested in spending top dollar on tyre performance I’m never going to use. I did want to get something of reasonable quality though rather than the usual “whatever is cheapest” that I usually get.

They seem to have reasonable grip for the price as the car turns into corners a lot better than the el cheapos I normally get so they are probably a decent option if your not going to go all out on a race track or something. Can’t really comment on wet weather performance or wear yet though as I’ve only had them for four days.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
On a side note, tossing up between these two, any thoughts?

The Dragon Sports are an okay tyre - granny driving they last maximum 40000kms but the last 10000kms was quite so-so in terms of performance.
I would rate the RE050s slightly better than the Dragon Sport but would recommend you stretch your budget and go for an alternative that has better wet and dry performance.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ive had a shop try and put 5 year old tyres on before

If a tyre is more than 1 year old I'm not down for them

Get your tyre quote first, then bring up build dates
Fit anything popular at the moment & it's unlikely to be old, stuff like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's they're barely able to import enough to keep-up with demand; at any point in time, plenty of places are out of them.

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
The RE050A's were factory installed on the VF and VFII SS here, and quite honestly I couldn't wait to get rid of them. The plus side found them to be very predictable with good steering feel. The bad found traction to be so-so at best, and a surprising amount of road noise. These tires, sorry, tyres ;) are loud, really loud after a bit. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tyres, and was much happier with those, especially being less expensive. Tracked them a few times with good results. My last gamble was a set of Firestone Indy 500 (non wide oval version) tyres, and I was very impressed with the tyres, the grip, the looks and especially the price. Not the best performance tyre out there, but quite capable on the street and held it's own for me on the track. A very good tyre with excellent grip, predictability and wear, capable of doing anything legal on the street quite well. Admittedly my car isn't a daily, so I can't speak to the wet traction provided by any of those mentioned. Nearly 600HP at the crank necessitated a larger wheel and tyre combo, and I went with the PS4S simply because the Indy 500 was not available in the sizes that I needed. Very impressed with the Michelin offering, may even have them paid off before I'm dead...:rolleyes:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've got Dragonsports on my VE.

Don't abuse it but don't granny it either.....more spirited driving.

Have good grip and >40k life.

Would buy again.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I've got Dragonsports on my VE.

Don't abuse it but don't granny it either.....more spirited driving.

Have good grip and >40k life.

Would buy again.
Good to hear. I was wondering how tyre wear would go with these. Sounds like it should be pretty good.