Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Police Pack

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by PeteSS, Jan 3, 2016.

1. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Apologies if this question has been asked before, though what differentiates a standard SS from a Police spec SS ?

The SS I bought (ex demo) was destined to be a police car but was eventually sold as a 'civilian" car. It has 2 batteries, heavier duty alternator, came with some extra wiring looms, and supposedly higher spec brakes. when I was looking at the spare (full size alloy) I noticed the boot mat had the word "police" on the sticker underneath it. Can't imagine why it would be on that, as the mat looks like any other.

The car does have one annoying quirk though. Even when you change the centre dash display/trip computer to lt/100km or whatever, every time you start the car up again it reverts to the digital speedo.

2. ChRiDDa

ChRiDDa Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS-Z Sportwagon
    Not much other than what you've already mentioned

Around near where the map reading lights will have an interior light cut out switch - as it suggests, cut all the interior lights out n dims the digital speedo by approximately half

Speedo is calibrated to within a 2km/h accuracy

Brakes are standard - pads are usually of the 'police spec' Holden variety or just plain old bendix ultimates

Lots of extra holes, wiring looms etc - may even find some used pbt straws wedged somewhere!

3. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    I hope you haven't bought a ex police car.

Why is it that some people think that police cars are the bee knees?
    All they are is a standard car that has most likely been thrashed to all buggery on a large number of occasions (not all, but a fair few).

It's a little strange that they would build the car to e a police car and then make it one? It could have happened, but seems a little weird to me?

55ams likes this.
  4. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Nah, it's not an ex Police car. It was a new car.
    The dealer was saying some yards get allocated a certain amount of police spec cars to sell to the force. For one reason or another the Police don't end up buying it.

This is car one of those

5. Davison

Davison Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16
    It's rare but it does happen. Sometimes they simply have surplus police pack stock that gets sold to the public. Happens with both Holden and Ford. There was a sizeable batch of police pack XR6 Turbos that were sold to the public a couple of years back in NSW. They didn't even bother deactivating police mode in the software, so on startup they still displayed the police logo on the cluster display.

And ex police cars in general are not as bad as some will make out. Would much rather an ex police car than a car that's been thrashed and poorly maintained by a private owner. Because one thing you can be sure about with police cars is they are serviced every 7500km by the book, no expense spared when it comes to maintenance. The biggest negative is idling time. They don't turn the bastards off. So 80,000km on the clock doesn't represent the thousands of hours it's really been running. Doesn't seem to affect modern engines though.

6. wombat tow

wombat tow Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ss sedan
    im also about to take delivery of a ex police car tomorrow afternoon hopefully im not in for to many surprises, one thing I did read in another post was about that switch near the map reading light abut couldn't find it. maybe they de activated it

7. aussieakito

aussieakito Holden Dealer Master Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
    Sometimes there is an extra battery in the boot left in there, RH side behind the carpet.

8. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Ex Vic highway patrol cars will have front ends re-bushed with urethane bushes.

9. wombat tow

wombat tow Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ss sedan
    I took delivery today and I took the cover off the second battery area and there was a mass of wires and plugs there I thought they took everything out, now to work out which wires to dispose of not needed there, ill leave battery but wires and plugs not needed.
    the day time running lights must be disconnected as they aren't working, slowly slowly ill sort it out in no rush

10. SneekyNuts

SneekyNuts New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    I bought an ex Police car without knowing. I live In Penrith when i bought it the car was de badged. ( my wife said buy the car you want but dont by a V8 so i thought having no badges i could get away with it) i started noticing the Penrith branch of Police would come up beside me and look in and give me that look of " Oh its not you " and once the lights were blacked out at an intersection and as i approached the officer on duty stopped traffic to wave me through and again he looked at me and i looked at him and i thought im not him and im sure by the look on his face he was thinking your not him. I eventually went to Heartland Holden at Penrith to purchase the badges. the car had previously been serviced there. i said to the guy " i think its an ex Police car but there are no holes in the dash only a few scratches. He looked it up and said its an ex sleeper ( homicide Detectives ) from Penrith they velcro the **** to the dash. theres exrtra screw holes on the inside of the bootlid ( i tell my mates its where the shotty was kept) and a massive thick red wire coming off the battery. The Holden fella said its been maintained very well been serviced. Other than a brake squeal on the front right brake i cant fault the car. I love it its very responsive my mate has a redline and mine is way quicker off the mark and if the police let me pass when theres accidents or lights out its an added bonus. i just changed the rims so im guessing my free pass is not valid anymore lol[​IMG]

11. ToeCutter21

ToeCutter21 Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17
    The second battery and wiring is because they have so much electrical equipment. There's at least three additional computers in them. One for the Number Plate Recognition system, another for the Mobile Data Terminal, and yet another for the video recording system (cameras front and back as well as microphones). Add in radar equipment, radios (standard and HF), and modern HWP cars have to be plugged into chargers overnight otherwise they're flat in 10 hours. The DRL can be disconnected as some of the operators reckon they give them away when they're hiding in the bushes. Not always but you'll often see HWP cars with duct tape on the DRL.

None of these mods improve the performance. They're stock standard models - just with lots of extra wiring.

12. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    As above,
    A "new" police pack vehicle will have all the extra wiring in the boot, only for the battery. The looms power the extra fuse block which is mounted there, all the cables are numbered (power and ground) and all are connected to that extra fuse block. There MAY be the other side of the plug and the correct terminals in the glovebox/taped to the battery in the boot.
    There will be no "extra" computers in it, do you really think the owners of the equipment would be stupid enough to leave it in a vehicle, especially a "new" vehicle that has never been fitted out? The Police don't own the equipment fitted to their cars, its provided under a service contract, i.e.: rented to them. (I realise your point ToeCutter21, but the amount of people who will ask/say/lie that it was left behind/still installed is ridiculous)

The roof mounted switch which kills the vehicles lighting is only for a VE, and doses;'t apply to the VF.
    Yes, you can activate this feature, but you'll have to find the plug behind the glovebox and supply your own toggle switch.

If you really want to may the most of your Aux battery, find the "Red Arc" unit mounted behind it, and swap it out for one that works while the car is off. The police pack ones only charge the vehicle while it's running. Swap it out for a "normal" unit - around $170.00

13. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    DRLs not working would be illegal. Take it back to the dealer.

14. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    I haven't taken the plastic cover off where mine has the 2nd battery so I'm not sure what I'll find there (apart from another battery :)) . Mine's a bit unique in that it was built as a cop car, but was sold new to me, so it probably won't have any residual wiring that might be left over from an ex cop car. it did have a plastic bag full of wiring looms and connectors siting in the glove box though.

it would be interesting to know what extras they do have, as you hear different all the time. The dealer had no clue, though apart from the battery, better brake pads and alternator, and the extra wiring I'm guessing that's about it. There is a thick guard under the engine sump which I haven't seen on other VF's

15. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That's for kerb hopping activities and the like.

My VS BT1 still has it installed.

16. wombat tow

wombat tow Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ss sedan
    I took it back this morning and they said that there is a plug off underneath, but mechanic couldn't look at it today so I took it to my mechanic and wee too the splash shield off underneath and plugs were in, checked fuses and relay they were missing put some in still not working.
    someone suggested that they might be turned off in the programming of the car so ill tell holden about it when I get mylink upgrade done see if he can check it out.

I just cant understand how it passed rwc with them not working as they are a safety feature of the modern cars.

17. wombat tow

wombat tow Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ss sedan
    I ripped mine out today after consulting with holden dealer, he said police packs come standard with wiring from factory, he said its good to remove if I wanted too, as long as the pos and neg stayed on the red arc thing to charge it its good, I want to leave 2nd battery in for car fridge as its always live and if it dies I can still start car on main battery

18. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Lots of wires, fuses and other crap that I have no idea about :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wombat tow

wombat tow Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ss sedan
    Pete the neg wires come off easy just one nut then all off, but pos unscrew that nut holding fuse box on then take post nut off red arc box behind battery then take wire from fuse box off but leave the other one on there. then time to replace every thing again, I had to unclamp battery and remove it not sure about yours though

20. jaywildone57

jaywildone57 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportswagon
    Do ex cop have heads up display as well?