Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Police Pack

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Apologies if this question has been asked before, though what differentiates a standard SS from a Police spec SS ?

The SS I bought (ex demo) was destined to be a police car but was eventually sold as a 'civilian" car. It has 2 batteries, heavier duty alternator, came with some extra wiring looms, and supposedly higher spec brakes. when I was looking at the spare (full size alloy) I noticed the boot mat had the word "police" on the sticker underneath it. Can't imagine why it would be on that, as the mat looks like any other.

The car does have one annoying quirk though. Even when you change the centre dash display/trip computer to lt/100km or whatever, every time you start the car up again it reverts to the digital speedo.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Not much other than what you've already mentioned

Around near where the map reading lights will have an interior light cut out switch - as it suggests, cut all the interior lights out n dims the digital speedo by approximately half

Speedo is calibrated to within a 2km/h accuracy

Brakes are standard - pads are usually of the 'police spec' Holden variety or just plain old bendix ultimates

Lots of extra holes, wiring looms etc - may even find some used pbt straws wedged somewhere!

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I hope you haven't bought a ex police car.

Why is it that some people think that police cars are the bee knees?
All they are is a standard car that has most likely been thrashed to all buggery on a large number of occasions (not all, but a fair few).

It's a little strange that they would build the car to e a police car and then make it one? It could have happened, but seems a little weird to me?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Nah, it's not an ex Police car. It was a new car.
The dealer was saying some yards get allocated a certain amount of police spec cars to sell to the force. For one reason or another the Police don't end up buying it.

This is car one of those

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
It could have happened, but seems a little weird to me?

It's rare but it does happen. Sometimes they simply have surplus police pack stock that gets sold to the public. Happens with both Holden and Ford. There was a sizeable batch of police pack XR6 Turbos that were sold to the public a couple of years back in NSW. They didn't even bother deactivating police mode in the software, so on startup they still displayed the police logo on the cluster display.

And ex police cars in general are not as bad as some will make out. Would much rather an ex police car than a car that's been thrashed and poorly maintained by a private owner. Because one thing you can be sure about with police cars is they are serviced every 7500km by the book, no expense spared when it comes to maintenance. The biggest negative is idling time. They don't turn the bastards off. So 80,000km on the clock doesn't represent the thousands of hours it's really been running. Doesn't seem to affect modern engines though.

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
im also about to take delivery of a ex police car tomorrow afternoon hopefully im not in for to many surprises, one thing I did read in another post was about that switch near the map reading light abut couldn't find it. maybe they de activated it

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ex Vic highway patrol cars will have front ends re-bushed with urethane bushes.

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
I took delivery today and I took the cover off the second battery area and there was a mass of wires and plugs there I thought they took everything out, now to work out which wires to dispose of not needed there, ill leave battery but wires and plugs not needed.
the day time running lights must be disconnected as they aren't working, slowly slowly ill sort it out in no rush

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
I bought an ex Police car without knowing. I live In Penrith when i bought it the car was de badged. ( my wife said buy the car you want but dont by a V8 so i thought having no badges i could get away with it) i started noticing the Penrith branch of Police would come up beside me and look in and give me that look of " Oh its not you " and once the lights were blacked out at an intersection and as i approached the officer on duty stopped traffic to wave me through and again he looked at me and i looked at him and i thought im not him and im sure by the look on his face he was thinking your not him. I eventually went to Heartland Holden at Penrith to purchase the badges. the car had previously been serviced there. i said to the guy " i think its an ex Police car but there are no holes in the dash only a few scratches. He looked it up and said its an ex sleeper ( homicide Detectives ) from Penrith they velcro the **** to the dash. theres exrtra screw holes on the inside of the bootlid ( i tell my mates its where the shotty was kept) and a massive thick red wire coming off the battery. The Holden fella said its been maintained very well been serviced. Other than a brake squeal on the front right brake i cant fault the car. I love it its very responsive my mate has a redline and mine is way quicker off the mark and if the police let me pass when theres accidents or lights out its an added bonus. i just changed the rims so im guessing my free pass is not valid anymore lol
wwrrt