Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Series 2 Rear Muffler with Bi Modal

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by clappa, Jan 7, 2019.

1. clappa

clappa New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS11 Redline
    ah...well there you go. Thanks!

2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Whatever the case, if one has trouble buying parts for a VF only a year after manufacturing closure, whether due to Holden parts catalogue lacking components or dealers simply can't be bothered supporting their customers doesnt bode well for the future.

I expect it will get much worse rather than get better as time moves forward. I suspect we all need to go on a parts buying spree but then the question is what to should buy in preparation for unknown future repairs?

3. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    You never look on the bright side. The parts should be available for 10 years. There were enough body panels to last for 10 years. As for the other parts used in our cars, they should be available. At least you will be able to buy engine parts as they came from GM in the USA. I would be worried about the magnetic ride control suspension you have in your motorsport. Maybe buy a set of spare shocks to help you down the track o_O

4. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Vf2 bimodal valve is completely shut when set to off in display and completely open between certain rev range when set to on in display.

The rev range is idle and above 3krpm. Pull the fuse when open and it stays open. Pull the fuse when shut and it stays shut.

5. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Pretty sure it defaults to open no matter what state you pull the fuse. I had mine apart and it's springloaded with alot of tension. I moved my bimodel valves to some cutouts I welded before the mufflers.

my valves open back up when I turn the car off even if they are set to quiet.

6. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    the factory mufflers have a spring in the valve mechanism that will open the valve once the power is removed from the electronic valve controller, when set to "quiet" or closed the controller will hold the valve shut.

you can unhook the spring and it will stop opening the valve when the vehicle is stopped
    [​IMG]

7. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    It’s not an issue of looking on the bright side or considering the glass being half full or half empty. Half full or half empty, fact is it’s still 100 mil of piss in a 200 mil cup, so no need to get personal or offensive.

As mentioned, people have expressed on a few threads that they’ve had issues with getting some parts for their VFs.

But yes, the law requires manufacturers must provide parts for I think 10 years. the law also stated the many regulators were supposed to keep an eye on the banks and we know how well such laws were followed. If Holden dealers are so disinterested with serving Holden customers NOW, it’s only going to get worse (unless Holden pushes a stronger customer forces but I don’t see that happening soon enough to make a difference). As I said, it doesn’t bode well but you of course can have a different opinion.

Truth is that buying the VF was buying an orphan in some respects but I went in eye wide open. However, I didn’t expect to start reading of such local parts supply difficulties so soon. Thought it would take 5 or so years before such would start to occur.

In any case driveline stuff (assemblies, components) won’t be difficult to source from the US (calibration software issues aside as I know nothing about such and if a it’s even relevant). But VF interior trim items and the like, along with the MSE sticker pack, are going to be a problem in the medium term I suspect. So I should go and shop. Magnetic ride suspension components may or may not be an issue but it needs looking into so thanks for the heads up on that.

8. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    Sounds like your stressing over nothing.. what parts are you going to go shop for? Once the 7 years is up there will be plenty of parts available from wreckers etc..

Anthony121 likes this.
  9. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I’m not stressed at all. I simply made a comment based on comments on this and other threads re parts supply.

As to what I may need in future, how long is a piece of string.

I do need to find out more about the shelf life of the MSE sticker pack (@ ~$1k) as I have no idea how long they remain viable. But sticker packs are one thing that tends to disappear from parts lists over time and something that can’t be recycled from a wrecking yard.

I’ve also read VF trim has been described on these forums as having fragile fingers/clips and in my experiance (with other makes) plastic items can also be problematic when sourced from a wrecking yard as they always seem to have the same faults at the part you want to replace.

But we should probably get back on topic ;)

10. myls362

myls362 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    My right muffler is making an annoying squeak every time I switch the bi-modal on and off. I have also noticed that when I change gears I get the same squeak. I always have it set to open. When I depress the clutch I get a squeak and then I can hear it open again. I’ve got a video.

Two questions:
    1. I have read the posts but I still don’t understand how it works on a manual. Help?
    2. Has anyone had any issues with theirs?

I have a regular service next week so any info I can get will help.

11. Mattricho

Mattricho Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV my15
    If I remember correctly someone else on the forum had a squeaky bimodal valve and sprayed graphite powder or silicon spray or something like that on there To stop the squeak.
    As far as The operation goes I believe with the bimodals set to open it’s not actually open till 3000 RPM anything below that and the valve is shut regardless of what the setting is in mylink.

12. myls362

myls362 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    I found the post. I have asked the question. Thanks

13. Mik 030

Mik 030 Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
    Just to clarify the bimodal settings, if you have the bimodal on, the mufflers are open at idle but the close until 3000 revs when they open again. For me, this setup is good. When cruising at highway speeds, there is no dreaded drone.

Stingrayviathenorth likes this.
  14. myls362

myls362 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    Good news. Just picked up my car from the dealer. There is a service bulletin from Holden acknowledging the bi-modal squeak problem.

The fix was Loctite Silver Grade Anti-seize lubricant. This involved removing the rear mufflers to get to the bi-modal actuators. The tech then sprayed it in underneath the electrical bit as well as around the butterfly valve.

It was $360 in “warranty” labour. I will do it myself if there is a next time.

Mik 030 likes this.
  15. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline

I want to put bi modals back on mine as its super loud on start up (due to cam and tune). Not a favorite with the neighbors at 7am every morning .
    One of the reason's I haven't done it is I'm told the Holden Bi modals open on start up, even if you have them in closed position on the dash.

Does removing the spring fix this start up issue ? Also does it affect anything else in operating the bi modals ?

16. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I dont have the ability to test the factory operation so i am not sure if the controller is sent the pwm signal to open on startup but an easy way to test it is take the controller off the muffler and plug it in and set it to closed and watch if it changes position when you start the vehicle.
    Also check that the controller changes position when you open and close it on the dash and that will confirm the valve is being sent both duty cycles of the pwm to open and close.

The spring mechanism opens the valve when the pwm signal holding the controller closed is lost so unhooking the spring prevents that.
    If the controller gets sent both duty cycles of the pwm to change state then unhooking the spring should not have any effect other than not opening the valve when the power to the controller is lost and if the pwm signal to open is not sent to the controller on startup then theoretically the valve should stay closed on startup with the spring unhooked.

PeteSS likes this.
  17. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Alternatively, if the neighbours aren’t pre-occupied with doing life by 7am you could tell them to get a job :p ...unless shift workers of course.

PeteSS likes this.
  18. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Everyone gets up at different times nothing to do with job or not.

Im 99.9% sure the bimodals stay closed if thats what you choose on mylink. I have mine with aftermarket relay set to permanent open or close and it definitely works. With the maloo open midsection the closed startup is still audible but no crackle, open is loud and crackles so it may not tame your open exhaust heaps but does help.

PeteSS likes this.
  19. clappa

clappa New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS11 Redline
    If in the closed position on the MyLink system, they are shut..ie, in idle, i have it set to closed position, and if i stick my head around the back of the car and look, its closed.

20. Jackv8

Jackv8 Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SS LS3 6.2L
    On this subject will an aftermarket catback system bolt up to the factory bi modal mufflers ?