Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Ute LSA project

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
First of all feel free to chime in if you see something if be better off using/doing. Been out of the commodore game for about 8 years and I've been catching up on all the new products out there.

In a nut shell this is not my daily, due towork commitments this will only be something I get out in every second weekend and I like the idea of having some fun on a track every now and then.

Cosmetic wise I already changed all the badges and trains to all black. Different tail lights, tinted windows the usual stuff. Bought HDT grille, though I'm still a little iffy on it. New fibreglass bonnet I just picked up, all vents are fully operational with a carbon fibre insert. Thinking of deleting the side vents on the bonnet so it's not so "busy" up front. Added a small splitter along the bottom today as well

For the fun stuff I've go purchased new vf hsv AP Racing 4 pot calipers and rotors that I'm having powder coated for a different look. Adjustable coilovers. Koya semi forged wheels and full 3" exhaust.
Thing yet to order as I'm still looking/researching, possibly semi slicks all round as I rarely drive this and have another car and two bikes I can use. New LSA motor to strip down for a headwork, aggresive cam valve train upgrade, and magnesun heartbeat and jam 12 psi in it if I can along with a full new fuel system and run E85. Obvious there's a lot of in between parts tomake it all work but myself and my brother will be doing all the work. Love doing my own stuff, I really enjoy that kind of toying around.

So currently I'm on the hunt for the cheapest deal on a new LSA to start working on, once ready, the stock unmolested L77 with 55,000 kilometres will be up for sale if anyone's interested just pm me. Also have some king spring sssl springs with factory shocks there for sale, along with factory brake calipers and rotors.

Covered and crap from sitting for the last few weeks on stands with no wheels or brakes waiting for them to arrive, I don't really have any photos worthy of posting yet. But here's one of the front end of how's it's coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 502

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I'm confused, are you going to buy a brand new LSA, then strip it down, remove the blower and put a magnason blower on it? Sounds expensive.

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
I'm confused, are you going to buy a brand new LSA, then strip it down, remove the blower and put a magnason blower on it? Sounds expensive.

That's the plan so far. To work the stock 1900 blower, porting the hell out of it, changing pulleys belts and buying and setting up an external cooler for the blower is going to cost a lot of money as it is. My thoughts are if the new blower and parts can be sold for around $5000, also adding the cost of modifying that blower and external cooling that doesn't come with it, that'd be easily up around 8-9k that could be saved in my pocket. I can get a magnesun heartbeat kits for LSA for around $9500. That comes with everything. Plus then I have a larger and far superior designed 2300 blower that runs a lot cooler, which means I don't have a blower spinning off its head creating too much heat to make the power I'm chasing.

H

harrop.senator

If it were me id spend the lsa money on forging and stroking the l77 set up and throw the magnuson on top.

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
If it were me id spend the lsa money on forging and stroking the l77 set up and throw the magnuson on top.

I'm hearing ya. This is something I've been looking at. But the down time will be 10 fold in comparison. While its not my every day ride, it's still needed on the odd occasion for the business to carry bikes or large parts. I've had to borrow utes on a couple occasions in the last 6 weeks while it's been on stands waiting for wheels, that's been a real pain. Realistically the only real let down in the LSA combo is the pistons, so you're buying a strong bottom end with a brand new motor for similar price to putting a strong stroker bottom end in my L77. In reality with having another motor on the stands with no rushed time frame, we could strip the LSA and put forged pistons in while we're at it, then once selling the L77, I would come out with a complete brand new motor with forged bottom end and still have plenty of extra money in my pocket. Being able to sell my motor is what's going to make this a much cheaper expenses then what it first looks like

H

harrop.senator

Oh i didnt think it was going to be a cheaper option i was thinking if its going to cost a shite tonne why not a fark tonne and be unstoppable haha.

Yeah downtime for sure didnt sound like it would be an issue but makes sense now. If willing to go to the effort of changing slugs balancing crank and the supercharger what is the big deal with lsa will it be much difference in a base to an ls3 man? I dont know much about port shape differences block dofferences or anything with the lsa are they a completely different motor or just some changes to handle the boost?

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
Not to mention also I then have a blower to sell as well to recouporate even money as well. The low kilometre L77 and new LSA blower with all the pulley, belts and injectors would have to fetch 8-10k with out a problem. So this would mean I'd have a free brand new LSA motor to start with instead of a used L77

H

harrop.senator

Whats the l77 worth i thought theyd only be worth about 2200 or 2500? Is the supercharger set up where all the money is or do the 6 litres still go for a lot privately?

SMS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS ute
Well the limits the LSA has been pushed to on stock bottom ends and holding both here and in the states has me feeling like leaving the bottom end alone. In that thought, it's going to be a cheaper and easier option. But I still think by the time if you changed the pistons, I'd still come out cheaper doing this.

2200-2500 is what the older LS2 with high kilometers are going for. Watching pricelesses on L77's recently to get an idea I've seen L77's go for as high as $6000 with 100,000k's. Mines got 55,000 unmoleted , so I'm estimating $4000-$5000. The LSA blowers with the lot I've seen up over $6000, so once again to be safe I'm estimating $4000-$5000 for mine wit the lot.

These are all only estimated figures I've been doing in my head, though I feel pretty confident this will be the best out come

H

harrop.senator

Yeah rogie that l77s worth a lot more then expected i was thinking what you were on the blower and accesories but thats a high return for the original motor itself theyre only 7 brand new with flywheel clutch coilpacks and injectors i think no harness but so thats crazy. Sounds like you know what youre going to be doing.

Also off topic but you build cafes, street fighters , bobbers , choppers or insane super sports?