Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS V Exhaust - sedan

bluefox1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ssv
Just picked up my new VF SSV Sedan,. It is a pearler !!! Just wondering has anyone fitted different rear mufflers ? I am looking for only a slightly louder note, with NO drone at any speed. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The VF exhaust system is almost identical to the VE's, any old exhaust shop should be able to change the rear mufflers for you.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Changing the rear mufflers is the one thing that will likely give you drone unfortunately.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is one model (possibly more) that I have seen with a ball type flange joining the rear mufflers on the VF instead of a two bolt flat flange. You can't get replacement rear mufflers for this system.

I do a Manta cat back that sounds really nice and doesn't drone. $1195 shipped.

Del Boca Vista

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
I have a VF SSV Sportwagon and have just fitted a Walkinshaw 2.5 inch cat back system. It is loud enough - just right from outside, probably a bit louder on the inside than what I was expecting especially when driving around town but still OK. Driving at 100km there is hardly a difference in sound from inside, although when the AFM kicks in the noise jumps up a bit but only very slightly. BTW we are very happy with ours, could not fault it after a couple of months and about 4000kms (other than it was too quite).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
AFM requires a quiet exhaust as it gets very loud and drony when it kicks in with the wrong exhaust on them.

Shane-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Disable the AFM! Only save 1 litre per 100 if you are lucky, A full exhaust with good headers and tune will make up for it.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ nah AFM saves 35%, get it tuned along with the performance tweaks. Worth keeping if you neutralise the drone.

crackpot77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv 6.0L
I would not bother with after market mufflers if I bought a new ssv or hsv gen f series... It's brand new and has a v8, treat it with some respect and get it a Walkinshaw catback and then move on from there getting headers and cats + tune and you will appreciate the better quality and sound. Also be careful to who you take your car to as putting an aftermarket exhaust at an exhaust centre or even by yourself at home can cause issues regarding warranty claims as Holden. They are known for their strict conditions on mods. Depends which Holden you go to sometimes.

crackpot77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv 6.0L
Put Walky headers and cats and it'll sound insane and better sounding than any exhaust system, even mine.