Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V Redline (Series 1) - Rough idle and loss of power, no warning lights

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Well, even Missus can be wrong. And petrol-heads. With their hackneyed backyard-job tuning and mods will complain for want of better, factual knowledge based on science, not Kumbaya-holding hands-theory on which populist opinion thrives.

BP PULP98 has been in my previous car (VZ) right around Australia (best economy was 7.3L/100km all the way up to and probably above 195,000km), and is now also used in my VFII (achieved 5.7L/100km near Euroa last Monday). I also use, on availability basis wherever I'm travelling, PULP98 at Shell, Liberty, APCO, 7-Eleven and Caltex.
So essentially you're saying you too could be wrong? No further questions your Honor.

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Hi and welcome to the forum,

This is all very presumptuous.

It's interesting you list your ride as an AU Fairmont (stage 3 slammer and cammer) but talk about SS-V and I also note you list your age as 97?

Again, this does not make sense and if you were a expert you would know better.

Please give me a reason to not ban your ass...
bad mod

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well, even Missus can be wrong. And petrol-heads. With their hackneyed backyard-job tuning and mods will complain for want of better, factual knowledge based on science, not Kumbaya-holding hands-theory on which populist opinion thrives.

BP PULP98 has been in my previous car (VZ) right around Australia (best economy was 7.3L/100km all the way up to and probably above 195,000km), and is now also used in my VFII (achieved 5.7L/100km near Euroa last Monday). I also use, on availability basis wherever I'm travelling, PULP98 at Shell, Liberty, APCO, 7-Eleven and Caltex.

So you are saying that petrol companies never put out a bad batch of fuel? Do you think they are infallible? or that your local servo possibly has an issue with contamination in their tanks or the tanker had a problem between the supply depot and the servo?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Still that’s no need to rubbish the AU, it may be an acquired taste for some in the looks department but it was a good solid car and I would be happy to have one of the performance versions sitting in my shed.

I actually operated an AU for nearly 8 years. The six cylinder INTECH motor went down a treat with its sublime and crisp power delivery however I did go through two radiators, two water pumps, an air conditioning compressor, alternator, power steering pump, steering rack, exhaust and a few other items. Got it to 293,000km and then it got yellow stickered for a broken brake light.

Interested to hear how much power slamNcam got out of his stage 3 on the AU?

Nah no warning lights, but rough idle, down on power and very different exhaust note under load. There was also a strong fuel smell however being cammed my car already had a bit of fuel smell.

Cheers for that mate - exact symptoms that I have. Will check the leads again

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Your car is producing very good power at 440hp (328kW) at the wheels for a mild cam and bolt ons on a 6.0 litre, maybe the tune has been wrung out too far and needs to be backed off a little to make up for fluctuations in fuel quality.

Hmm nah it normally runs real good - I am extremely happy with the work that has been done and think the tune is spot on. I think the current issue is unrelated. I like eman1's theory about the loose lead.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I've recently finished an LS3 into VK conversion, while it was being tuned it was running rough occasionally, the tuner swapped plugs and it didnt fix it, turns out the lead was faulty. Engine only has 39 thousand on it. Try pulling a spark lead off while its running rough and see if the engine note changes.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Care to elaborate?

bad mod is the standard response when you think a mod is being overbearing, you are not a bad mod.

It's interesting you list your ride as an AU Fairmont (stage 3 slammer and cammer) but talk about SS-V and I also note you list your age as 97?

online anonymoity is the norm and safest way to surf

Please give me a reason to not ban your ass...

please dont powertrip, we need more members not less. mods should always err on the side of less is more

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
He's making comments (about cammed LS's) but they are full of falsehoods so I'm calling him on it, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you want to contribute fine, if you want to contribute dribble that is fine too but when you are trolling with bad info you can expect to be challenged. Seriously, he talks about his SSV that's cammed like a W557 which is nice except the W557 is a blown motor (LSA) so either he is really stupid of he is full of it.

to me, it looks like a hit and run and we probably won't see him for another few months before he imparts another pearl of wisdom.

Last edited: