Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS vs E3 GTS can't make up my mind.

Torborg

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I say go the VF. Much better looking inside and out, plus you get to enjoy the new car experience.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
As above post said, VF is much more refined with the interior. I love the modular design they have now, everything is deep dish, and not to mention the much smaller steering wheel. Great touch! And lots of gadgets. It does make all previous models outdated by far. However, I am also not too keen about the Mazda 3 front and Hyundai/Toyota rear. But as a driver, u see the interior more than the exterior...

Power wise, if you get a VF SS redline, you can always put in OTR, full exhaust and a dyno tune, that will make it 343kw at the engine (275rwkw) if it is a manual. My car has those mods and was dynoed at APS 2 weeks ago by Luis on BP Ultimate and that's the figure. It beats the GTS factory 325kw figure.

However, if you do the same to a GTS, it will get a better result due to their Cam or Ecu setting etc, correct me if I am wrong, I never had a GTS.

E3 GTS does have lots of electronic goodies like the displays of all the parameters, damper control, blind spot alert, DRL, etc. If you are after those and the name or resell value, go for the GTS.

The Brembo brakes on HSV are great when new and shiny, but when the time comes to replace the pads and discs....oh my, do you have deep pockets? We are talking thousands of dollars here. Put it this way, when a Holden dealer wants to buy a 2nd hand HSV, the very first thing they want to look at will be....you guessed it, how much brakes are left on the car. If they are worn, not interested...Brembos. So I have been told at Barlow Holden.

After all it's about money, the purchasing costs might be similar, but the running cost is the bigger thing. eg. insurance... So it is up to OP to toss it up and make a call.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
HSV dont use Brembos, Redlines do. AP on HSV.

There are good and bad for both cars, so the OP has to make up his mind on what he wants. Everyones opinion
will differ. New car experience is followed by new car depreciation. You choose.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
But you also get new car appreciation

Last edited:

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Screw the conformists... get a VH with a stonking V8 and blower sticking out the bonnet.

Holden-Commodore-VN-fq-690x459.jpg

Nice VK though

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I had the same decision to make before buying mine and I think I'll be going against the grain here, but I actually think the VF is a nicer drive than the E3s. I have driven plenty of E3s and while they're a major step up from VE, the VF is more refined than the E3, from an interior stand point at least. I do agree that the big brakes on the HSVs is a massive draw card, but from a day to day perspective, the VF will be the more comfortable commuter. The gear boxes are the same now, the electric power steering in the VF is excellent and interior fit and finish would, in my opinion, be better in the VF SSV. I've been on record a number of times saying that I do not like holden leather, but the leather on the VF is actually pretty nice. Much more supple than previous models. And one of my pet hates from VE was the stupid hand brake - now electronic. Not a big issue, but it's a fix for something that pissed me off. I've found that pretty much across the board. Almost everything that annoyed me with VE/E3 has been changed for VF but the things I liked are the same or improved.

Another thing to consider is what you want to do with the car and how you intend to use it. If you want to modify, I don't see the point of the HSV (this is for VF/E3 comparison only - definitely see the point with VE/E3 and VF/GenF). While MRC is good, you can pretty much punt it if you want to lower the car, Bi modal exhaust sounds average at best if you're into loud, etc etc. I'd say the same about the redline though. SSV was the pick of the bunch from my perspective.

I know that if you throw money at an SS, it will still be just an SS - in my opinion, and perhaps I'm a bit spoilt from my line of work, but HSV doesn't exactly scream prestige either. A badge is a badge but there's more things that I like about my VF than any E3 I've driven. That's not to say the E3 isn't nice - but in terms of comparison, it wasn't a particularly difficult choice for me.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ every now and then there is some considered comment on this forum mate, and I for one really appreciate the effort in communicating the detail here.

Shane-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Why you no read the first post properly?!

He wanted to know if he should buy a VF SS or an E3 GTS not a Gen F R8...

Maybe you should read the post as well ;)
I was commenting on Black X's remarks, Not the original posters!
Sorry I should have quoted it so you know who I was referring to.

Shane-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You can spend as much money on an SS as you like but at the end of the day it's still an SS and NOT a HSV!

You can spend 80k+ on HSV and it's still a HSV that can be beaten by a lower end model with a bolt on blower! Just like most other car brands out there.
But hey, Each to their own, Where does one stop? ;)
I prefer the underdog/sleeper look, Cheaper car that maybe gets laughed at only to blow away the more expensive model on the track.
Whichever you choose though you can be assured it's going to be a money pit as soon as mods are involved!