Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS vs E3 GTS can't make up my mind.

VEII SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE II SV6 Ute
Hey guys, I've sold my SV6 ute and now I'm in the market for upgrading to a V8. I've been eyeing off E3 GTS's for about a year now. I test drove an E2 a few months back and was really happy with the way it was, even though the interior was boring to me. Now, yesterday I stuck my head into a local Holden dealer and test drove a VF SS-V Redline. I was quite impressed with it. I was also told after I drove it that it now comes with comp mode and has launch control which is interesting because the other two SS models don't. Now I'm really starting too warm up to the VF, even with its Mazda rear end. But here comes the dilemma. I'm not too sure what to go with. The dealer want's $56,500 drive away and there's also a 3 month waiting list. Then you have 2010-2011 E3 GTS's popping up on carsales between 55-63k.

There are solid pros and cons for both cars. One noticeable con was on the redline. Only the front brakes are brembo. I recall the VE redline having brembos all round? Most of the E3's I've seen have the optional 6-pot brakes so it's a plus for the GTS. The biggest pro for the GTS is that it has 50kw more power( who doesn't enjoy more power?). The EDI in the HSV is a fun gimmick as well. I want to lean more on the GTS but the interior and toys on the VF are hard to ignore. The GTS is nice inside, but the SS-V now has it's nose infront.

For people that own a HSV that has MRC, is it just a gimmick or does it perform really good?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Which car do U like the look of best?

At the end of the day U have to drive and enjoy it.. I don't get why U want everyones input on what car to buy? Drive both, choose one. Ones new and the other secondhand..

If we say buy the gts are u going blame us when ur not happy with it and should have gone the SS?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Better brakes, suspension, wheels, handling, motor, gearbox, launch control, traction modes, seats, EDI, bi-modal exhaust, lighting, styling... there's no common denominator to compare the two... used E3 GTS gets my vote.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Go the GTS. No contest IMHO. And yes, the MRC works well.

And, if you want to be noticed, GTS all the way.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I was considering the same thing but the interior of the VF did it for me. Actually, I would never have even looked at the HSV if the VF hadn't got me hooked in the first place. In the end I thought the interior of the Evo I was trading looks nicer than the HSV, so why would I want to swap to a HSV? I figured I could always upgrade the performance bits of the VF that I wasn't happy with but it is a bit hard to completely redo the interior of an E series HSV to match all the gadgets and the look of a VF Redline. I also was considering an F series HSV but you have to spend a lot more money to get the same gadgets as the redline and I didn't like the look of the front compared to either the old HSV or the redline. I figured if I spend the same amount on mods as the price difference between a HSV R8 then the modified Redline would be a wicked car and the HSV would still be a standard HSV. So for me it was a relatively easy choice.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Easy E3 GTS

My father has one and I think the MRC is amazing!! Its soft n bouncy like every other sports car and then you hit MRC and it's stiff as and amazing to drive. Now personally I hate how soft the standard suspension is in all FE2, FE3 and HSV Vechials. And like stated above better brakes, diff, trans, motor, interior etc etc colsons!!! Even has a IQ system thats more then ample without the unnesscary tech crap VFs have

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Black X, your Redline will still be a Redline after pumping heaps of money into it. HSV is always going to be a better investment in the end IMHO.
But, its up to the OP on what he wants to do.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
If it were me? I'd wait till March (ish) next year and get a VF Redline. From a bloke with a E3 Senator daily drive :)

Btw - The last "investment" grade anything from Holden/HSV was the W427 and even that's sketchy at best. Prior to that you'd look at maybe a Coupe4 or a Callaway VTII (?) GTS. None of these cars have made it even close to their original purchase price yet however they may be getting towards the bottom of their depreciation curve IMO. Discuss :p