Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv 2. ls3 Automatic Transmission issue

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Hey guys!
Ive got a Vf ssv series 2.
Custom tune and a vcm otr are currently my only mods.
Each time i start the car and take off reasonably firmly it will rev to 4000-4500rpm then shift holding the second gear for a ages.
Then i would slow down to a complete stop and take off again resulting in the car to rev properly to 3000rpm then shift and not hold the second gear for ages.
It will always rev to 4000-4500rpm after every single start and ONLY after every single start.
Please help! The mechanic says its normal whilst the tuner says it might be a holden software glitch.
Monstar or whoever knows whats going on i would love to know what is going on.
The tuner reflashed the stock tune and was still doing the same thing.
PLEASE HELP!!!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
In previous (non-VF) cars, I would have said that it sounded like a throttle position sensor (TPS) problem. The file below is from the Holden VF service manual and may give you some background. I couldn't find any information on the TPS items themselves.

Attachments

• Throttle Actuator (TAC) Control System.pdf
    343.7 KB · Views: 551

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
In previous (non-VF) cars, I would have said that it sounded like a throttle position sensor (TPS) problem. The file below is from the Holden VF service manual and may give you some background. I couldn't find any information on the TPS items themselves.[/QUOTE

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Thanks for the info!
Running out of options so will have to take it to a holden service centre.
Hopefully they can fix the problem and dont do anything silly like erase my custom tune.

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
Did that only start happening after it was tuned?

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Its really hard to say because i got it tuned shortly after i bought the car.
The tuner flashed the stock tune back in and its still doing it.
Then he flashed back his custom tune again and said its either a holden software glitch or may be normal to clean out the solenoids.
Either way once i start the car i have to take off like a snail initially so it doesnt rev out to 4000+rpm.
I know this is not normal cause others
That own a vf ssv s2 ls3 would be complaining too.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Its really hard to say because i got it tuned shortly after i bought the car.
The tuner flashed the stock tune back in and its still doing it.
Then he flashed back his custom tune again and said its either a holden software glitch or may be normal to clean out the solenoids.
Either way once i start the car i have to take off like a snail initially so it doesnt rev out to 4000+rpm.
I know this is not normal cause others
That own a vf ssv s2 ls3 would be complaining too.

Mine does something similar, has done so since new. I have had it for three years now and traveled about 38K. Doesn't do it from a cold start (but then again I take off sedately when engine is cold), only after restarting from warm very shortly after turning the car off. If it is let to sit for a few min it doesn't do it. It happens very rarely for me so I never really worried about it to be honest. Also, I didn't think it was much of a big deal although I do agree that is seems unusual. Car has been perfectly fine and transmission works normally otherwise. I think I remember a couple of other people bringing it up in this forum and also remember seeing it brought up on a HSV forum. I guess not many people turn their car off and then turn it back on and drive within a very short time frame?

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Mine does something similar, has done so since new. I have had it for three years now and traveled about 38K. Doesn't do it from a cold start (but then again I take off sedately when engine is cold), only after restarting from warm very shortly after turning the car off. If it is let to sit for a few min it doesn't do it. It happens very rarely for me so I never really worried about it to be honest. Also, I didn't think it was much of a big deal although I do agree that is seems unusual. Car has been perfectly fine and transmission works normally otherwise. I think I remember a couple of other people bringing it up in this forum and also remember seeing it brought up on a HSV forum. I guess not many people turn their car off and then turn it back on and drive within a very short time frame?
Mine will do it irrespective of whether the engine is cold or warm.
Straight after every single start.
Its driving me nuts to be honest.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Firstly you should wait until the tranny is at least warm as the engine, like 87° before putting your foot down / tasking it with high torque or rpm.
Is in warmup mode and will respond differently, nobody changes that aspect in a trans tune.
If wary there is something awry reset the tranny’s shift memory by pulling the battery for a few hours then go through relearn procedure (search “fast adapt relearn”).
If still acting up I’d have the tuner reflash the trans with exact stock tune.
Then if still SNAFU some more serious questions for your tuner like what tuning platform was used and is the tune SD / MAFless?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Mine will do it irrespective of whether the engine is cold or warm.
Straight after every single start.
Its driving me nuts to be honest.
Could be the fluid temp sensor or the controller temp sensor reporting error, in the past would have said incorrect torque reporting from ECU to TCM but newer tuning software versions all but eliminated that.
Relearn shifts, log the TFT and TCM temp for tuner.