Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv 2. ls3 Automatic Transmission issue

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I did have a block injector recently!
Also each time its a cold start i wont hear any crackle and pop anymore.
It only crackles and pop after warm start now.
Can this be related?
it prob has proper fuel to it now as before it would have been maby leaner and a bit random if odd injectors wernt firing causing a crackle, it shouldnt be related to gearbox

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Yes good idea. EFIlive has a self-clean routine that cycles the trans and takes the engine up through different RPM, takes five minutes or so, definitely a good move.
Holden would have this too of course.
OP just so you are aware flashing the engine tune back in doesn’t cost you anything except 5 mins of the tuner’s time. The licence is still valid and no reason to pay much more once the issue is resolved.
Should the solenoid oil dump be done by the tuner or tell my mechanic to do that?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Interesting thread you’ve started @Jackel.

From what I’ve read in other threads, the simplest thing to try when one has an issue with their auto is to do a fluid change and with that may as well do a deep pan and wide mouth filter upgrade.

As for the rest being too technical, same for me here, but have a read of GMs install guide here which may help to improve some basic understanding of a trans swap and what is needed. The linked doc is for VE 6L80 trans but it may be relevant to our VFs. What may be especially interesting is the references to correct fluid level, battery, maf and tps as well as to trans relearn but for you the most interesting is that GM state ECU and TCM are programmed together. The implication is that there is some dependency between ECU and TCM which if true would mean you’d loose your custom flash if you went to Holden service as they may want to reflash the trans... How a tuner doesn’t impact the TCM when flashing ECU I don’t know... others here would know so I may learn a little ;)

Edited to add that watchimg tennis while slowly typing has pushed this post way down from when I started typing... :oops:

Last edited:

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Interesting thread you’ve started @Jackel.

From what I’ve read in other threads, the simplest thing to try when one has an issue with their auto is to do a fluid change and with that may as well do a deep pan and wide mouth filter upgrade.

As for the rest being too technical, same for me here, but have a read of GMs install guide here which may help to improve some basic understanding of a trans swap and what is needed. The linked doc is for VE 6L80 trans but it may be relevant to our VFs. What may be especially interesting is the references to correct fluid level, battery, maf and tps as well as to trans relearn but for you the most interesting is that GM state ECU and TCM are programmed together. The implication is that there is some dependency between ECU and TCM which if true would mean you’d loose your custom flash if you went to Holden service as they may want to reflash the trans... How a tuner doesn’t impact the TCM when flashing ECU I don’t know... others here would know so I may learn a little ;)
Seems like there is a few ways to go about this.
As long as it gets fixed i will be happy.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
@Jackel 10 minutes likely too short to reset the trans memory BTW.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I don’t know if the auto has a sensor to make sure the gear has engaged properly or it just trusts the mechanism doing what it was commanded.

If it has a sensor to check gear properly engaged, and the solenoid doesn’t work, it should give an Error code DTC and engine light on.

If doesn’t have a sensor and just trusts the solenoid, it could be the solenoid or mechanical issue with the transmission.

So,
Try to shift it manually to see what happens.
If it is a solenoid or any other mechanical issue, the problem should be reproduced in manual mode as well. Whatch the gear indicator behaviour. It might show the gear change but the trans is still stuck.

Good luck

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Interesting thread you’ve started @JackelAs for the rest being too technical, same for me here, but have a read of GMs install guide here which may help to improve some basic understanding of a trans swap and what is needed. The linked doc is for VE 6L80 trans but it may be relevant to our VFs. What may be especially interesting is the references to correct fluid level, battery, maf and tps as well as to trans relearn but for you the most interesting is that GM state ECU and TCM are programmed together. The implication is that there is some dependency between ECU and TCM which if true would mean you’d loose your custom flash if you went to Holden service as they may want to reflash the trans... How a tuner doesn’t impact the TCM when flashing ECU I don’t know... others here would know so I may learn a little ;)
for hpt when u do a flash u can flash just the engine tune only which is safest for 99% of changes but some need a full write entire which is the whole lot, the trans flash is the same but a separate flash not related to the engine flash

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
I think it is important to understand that the trans doesn’t give a care about engine RPM at all anymore.
In that regard it is only the torque convertor that measures input speed in relation to slip and ramp.
Torque. That is all. The ECU’s calculation and reporting of engine torque output and driver demand form the primary TCM input, nowadays the TCM works independently of engine RPM.
So the observation of the issue at a particular RPM is either a correlation to incorrect reported torque m from the ECU, else mechanical correlation to line pressure in trans, or trans defaulting to warmup on startup irrespective of fluid temp.
Ideally do trans self clean, swap trans pan and wide mouth filter, fill correct method, make sure tans has been reset (think self clean does that), do the fast adapts and garage adapts, relearn shifts with normal driving for about a tank.
This is pretty standard with good trans person BTW.
Then if is still bugggered on stock OS in ECU and TCM then take back to Holden.

Last edited:

ChrisAus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2015 storm
My old VE did it and my now current VF SS. Nothing to worry about

VF has full exhaust Otr and Mafless tune