Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV CAMSHAFT ROLLER BREAKS @ 109,000km

Croucho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
My VF has done 109,000 km and has had every oil change required by Holden manual. I had one cylinder misfiring and heard a rattle in the engine this November just gone and took it to my mechanic. He diagnosed a broken roller on camshaft. I then rang my local Holden dealer and had to get the car towed to them for their diagnosis. A long story short is that they are Denying any financial assistance in any warranty claim at all because they weren’t allowed to do the diagnosis themselves. They actually said to me that I have no basis for a claim because I can’t prove that my mechanic DID NOT cause the problem with the camshaft .
I have taken it to fair trading and Holden are still denying any further dealings with me. I have now written to NCAT to take it to a tribunal. yes I do realise the motor is out of its 100,000 km warranty period but a camshaft is a major part of the motor!! I am wondering what anyone on this just Commadores forum thinks about this? Any similar dealings through fair trading or NCAT ? tia

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You say VF rather than VF2, does that mean it’s a Series 1?
Just checking, but are you aware that there’s also a time limitation on warranty, usually 3 years? Just checking because all Series 1 cars are over 3 years old (and I figure if you had an extended warranty then it would also be extended beyond 100k kms as well).

However, consumer protection laws say that there is retailer liability within the time/distance that the market generally expects of a product. Not knowing how old you car is I don’t know what’s involved, but I’d expect an engine that was serviced to (or better than) the book to last beyond 110k kms.

You’ll have to do some arguing & threatening if it’s out of warranty; their “we didn’t diagnose it” statement is BS though. Might be worth getting a quote from your trusted mechanic though, it could be worth paying for them to do it properly than to pay (say) half the cost of the dealer doing it poorly & smearing human faeces all over the interior of the car in the process.

Croucho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
You say VF rather than VF2, does that mean it’s a Series 1?
Just checking, but are you aware that there’s also a time limitation on warranty, usually 3 years? Just checking because all Series 1 cars are over 3 years old (and I figure if you had an extended warranty then it would also be extended beyond 100k kms as well).

However, consumer protection laws say that there is retailer liability within the time/distance that the market generally expects of a product. Not knowing how old you car is I don’t know what’s involved, but I’d expect an engine that was serviced to (or better than) the book to last beyond 110k kms.

You’ll have to do some arguing & threatening if it’s out of warranty; their “we didn’t diagnose it” statement is BS though. Might be worth getting a quote from your trusted mechanic though, it could be worth paying for them to do it properly than to pay (say) half the cost of the dealer doing it poorly & smearing human faeces all over the interior of the car in the process.

Croucho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Ta for reply. It’s a Dec 2014 build. Been a great car. Can’t believe Holden toss me that “ we weren’t allowed to do a root diagnosis” crap. Just reading from the book

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ta for reply. It’s a Dec 2014 build. Been a great car. Can’t believe Holden toss me that “ we weren’t allowed to do a root diagnosis” crap. Just reading from the book

The car is now well outside the warranty. On what basis would you want Holden to cover this. Yes, the cam should last more than 100 000km but sometimes it's just **** luck.

Good luck but I am certain that Holden really does not have to cover this...

Croucho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The car is now well outside the warranty. On what basis would you want Holden to cover this. Yes, the cam should last more than 100 000km but sometimes it's just **** luck.

Good luck but I am certain that Holden really does not have to cover this...
Yeah, they don’t HAVE to. I went to them appealing for some goodwill on a major engine component failure when the engine should be expected to last a lot longer. Instead they gave me ‘rules n regulations’ bullshit get-out clause. They literally read from the book to me over the phone because MY mechanic did the diagnosis.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
If you had gone to holden there is a chance they may have replaced it for free,the whole fit for purpose scenario etc,the girl at gibbons holden here in perth was talking to me about it regarding my wobbly balancer on my 2013 ssv,i ended up doing it myself.
New set of decent rockers wont break the bank.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
It's plain to see: you have no claim at all on Holden to fix this supposedly "under warranty". The Harrier-National Warranty is the one thing that must be read "by the book" regarding what is covered by warranty and what is not; certainly the camshaft and rollers are covered under that, which chiefly takes place the moment you have bought the car and continues for 5 years or up to 200,000km, whichever comes first. In your case, 5 years is up and you have no claim to Holden for repairs, either in goodwill or otherwise.

Croucho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I didn’t know about the 200,000 or 5 years thing. I always heard 100,000 and 3 years. December 2014 build. Cam blew in November 2019. WITHIN five years.
So u proved yourself wrong. I didn’t expect a warranty claim. Why are you so sure about lack goodwill from Holden?
We as consumers buy a product and that product is expected to last a fair and reasonable time. Camshafts last longer than 109,000. I’ve recently heard that these L/77 motors do blow lifters/damage cams because of the Active Fuel Management System. But Thanks for your( negative and even slightly aggressive, input) .

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Why are you so sure about lack goodwill from Holden?
you (generally) only get goodwill from holden if you service there.
you have been talking about your mechanic, so im assuming all servicing was done there not holden.