Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV CAMSHAFT ROLLER BREAKS @ 109,000km

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
you (generally) only get goodwill from holden if you service there.
you have been talking about your mechanic, so im assuming all servicing was done there not holden.
Not only that, but as a V8 RWD Commodore owner, the chances you’ll be buying a cheap poorly-made Korean SUV in future aren’t super high ... what’s the motivation for Holden to goodwill someone who’s most likely to want a product they’re never going to have?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Pardon? Calling the pot, kettle black, are we?

The 200,000km/5 year warranty is standard Harrier-National fare (it's been around since 2008, you don't have to sign up to it when buying a used car... ) and it works very well for the big parts of which you are talking about, when service is carried out at Holden - - it's not rocket science to grip this. I, (and many, other owners) have had goodwill from Holden in the past, and have nothing to claim ill against them. You had your car serviced outside Holden. And now you are flipping your lollies at them, because you believe it is something for them to fix on the house?

Now, where did this fascinating AFM failure stuff come from?? Populist opinion, or based on solid, proven fact with appropriate oversight?
Neighbour here has AFM in his wagon, and has logged 344,000km, a lot of that towing his 17ft van - - dusty and dirty, the car isn't as snazzy as today's VFII, but it is faithful and faultless. Doubtless around me there are many others giving faultless service, but not yours. Why? True, these things should last the life of the engine, but... is there something missing??

The moral to this story is that you take your car for servicing to Holden, not the piano tuner in the tin shed around the corner. You never know, play by the rules and goodwill will likely come your way.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Pe
I didn’t know about the 200,000 or 5 years thing. I always heard 100,000 and 3 years. December 2014 build. Cam blew in November 2019. WITHIN five years.
So u proved yourself wrong. I didn’t expect a warranty claim. Why are you so sure about lack goodwill from Holden?
We as consumers buy a product and that product is expected to last a fair and reasonable time. Camshafts last longer than 109,000. I’ve recently heard that these L/77 motors do blow lifters/damage cams because of the Active Fuel Management System. But Thanks for your( negative and even slightly aggressive, input) .

Personally I agree if you've had full Holden service history they should cough up a bit of $$$. Lots of Ford Rangers have issues and are getting part payment on repairs with card out of warranty etc. Probably find Holden will rape you stupid $$$ to fix while your mechanic would do it a lot cheaper . note there is a service bulletin from Holden stating that lifters in AFM cars should be changed at 100000kms but Holden won't do it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Now, where did this fascinating AFM failure stuff come from?? Populist opinion, or based on solid, proven fact with appropriate oversight?

This fascinating AFM failure stuff is a thing.

Spend some time with Google and you will find the facts rather than your uneducated opinion.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
The moral to this story is that you take your car for servicing to Holden, not the piano tuner in the tin shed around the corner. You never know, play by the rules and goodwill will likely come your way.[/QUOTE]

We just had an awesome experience with Holden regarding our TM Barina.

The ‘beast’ did an oil cooler and required part to be replaced- rad hoses, surge tank and the oil cooler. We were quoted $1,400. After a few phone calls and an email or two, Holden approved the repair.

The Barina is a 2012 model and had a 3 year warranty. It was 4 years out of warranty when the cooler went.

The repair was approved because the car was purchased new and serviced at the same dealer.

Awesome effort by Holden... but... we are now looking at a new Corolla or CHR

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The moral to this story is that you take your car for servicing to Holden, not the piano tuner in the tin shed around the corner. You never know, play by the rules and goodwill will likely come your way.
Crazy thing is, the “piano tuner” is about 1000% more likely to do weird crazy sh1t like, well, actually replacing the oil & the filters when charging you for doing so ...

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

The ‘beast’ did an oil cooler and required part to be replaced- rad hoses, surge tank and the oil cooler. We were quoted $1,400. After a few phone calls and an email or two, Holden approved the repair.

The Barina is a 2012 model and had a 3 year warranty. It was 4 years out of warranty when the cooler went.

The repair was approved because the car was purchased new and serviced at the same dealer.

Cheers[/QUOTE]
Wow, was there ever a recall on the cooler or something as that's really unheard of with that age

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
This fascinating AFM failure stuff is a thing. Spend some time with Google and you will find the facts rather than your uneducated opinion.

An uneducated opinion?
Seems I am not alone in that though, yeah? Especially people looking at Google for an education. Seriously now...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
An uneducated opinion?
Seems I am not alone in that though, yeah? Especially people looking at Google for an education. Seriously now...
Unfortunately, the owner of a well-known Sydney tuning & exhaust workshop made me aware of AFM-related failure in VF Commodes ...

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS

Cheers
Wow, was there ever a recall on the cooler or something as that's really unheard of with that age[/QUOTE]

Not that I am aware of.

I forgot to mention the water pump was also replaced. Car had done 90k

I also get the SS serviced at the same dealer - Ballan Holden