Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv ls3 6.2 upgrade options

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
How much of a difference did this package make for you in terms of bottom end and mid range torque?
Since i have already got the custom tune & vcm otr done i am just missing the full exhaust & retune to complete the package too.
Did this package make a major difference and is the car too loud? considering the mrs will be driving it too sometimes too & yes i understand it has bimodal.
I had the package fitted before I received the car but it's definitely louder, awesome sounding exhaust with no drone!
a full exhaust system is definitely going to give you heaps more top end, which the way I look at it, the faster and longer you can rev out the top of your gear, your next gear change you'll already be in peak power.
I don't think the hsvs or gm standard systems sound good at all and have 400cell cats which are the most restrictive part of an exhaust so my vote is always a good quality Australian made exhaust like difilippo, manta, hurricane or pacemaker.

Going with a camshaft can have all different types of issues, the biggest one being the incorrect spec for what your using your car for, as members have posted above, the cams have either given them mostly top end or just a better sound (and with the stock wet fart sound you'll only make it a louder wetter fart with a cam)

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
I had the package fitted before I received the car but it's definitely louder, awesome sounding exhaust with no drone!
a full exhaust system is definitely going to give you heaps more top end, which the way I look at it, the faster and longer you can rev out the top of your gear, your next gear change you'll already be in peak power.
I don't think the hsvs or gm standard systems sound good at all and have 400cell cats which are the most restrictive part of an exhaust so my vote is always a good quality Australian made exhaust like difilippo, manta, hurricane or pacemaker.

Going with a camshaft can have all different types of issues, the biggest one being the incorrect spec for what your using your car for, as members have posted above, the cams have either given them mostly top end or just a better sound (and with the stock wet fart sound you'll only make it a louder wetter fart with a cam)
Ok cheers! It looks like i will be going down the exhaust path.
In ur opinion should i go the full exhaust or just the headers and cats?
Im leaning towards the full exhaust and i guess i can switch the bimodal off if it gets too loud.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Ok cheers! It looks like i will be going down the exhaust path.
In ur opinion should i go the full exhaust or just the headers and cats?
Im leaning towards the full exhaust and i guess i can switch the bimodal off if it gets too loud.
definitely full, the bimodals being welded back in will keep your neighbors happy

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
As others have said, the gains from a full exhaist system are not that great. you just need to look at the performance packs offered by mobs like Harrop. The gain from a full exhaust (headers, cats, catback) over just an OTR and tune is in the vicinity of about 25 flywheel kw. and that's mostly top end.

A cam is another option, though go too aggressive on cam specs and you turn a nice car into a dog.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
As others have said, the gains from a full exhaist system are not that great. you just need to look at the performance packs offered by mobs like Harrop. The gain from a full exhaust (headers, cats, catback) over just an OTR and tune is in the vicinity of about 25 flywheel kw. and that's mostly top end.

A cam is another option, though go too aggressive on cam specs and you turn a nice car into a dog.
Ok! Well its either one or another. So ur saying its mostly top end with full exhaust!
Others have said that a fair amount of torque will be released throughout the whole rev range including bottom end.
Bearing in mind that i already have a custom tune & otr what would u do in this position for more bottom end torque? I cant do both unfortunantely and im not looking for massive gains nor a supercharger cause its way too expensive.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Get a second hand exhaust and cam and tune for under $5k

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
If you want a comparison between non camed and camed on same dyno. Here is my graph going from Walkinshaw W375 kit with a tune. To getting the cam done a few weeks back.
Mine is manual and for the gains I got vs cost. Dont think for performance id do the same again.
2.jpg

Cam was 224/232 112lsa

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
If you want a comparison between non camed and camed on same dyno. Here is my graph going from Walkinshaw W375 kit with a tune. To getting the cam done a few weeks back.
Mine is manual and for the gains I got vs cost. Dont think for performance id do the same again.
View attachment 204177

Cam was 224/232 112lsa
There u go! Thanks for that.
How did u go with the W375 compared to stock?
Could u feel a solid improvement in bottom end and midrange torque? Was the car excessively loud? U have bimodals?

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
There u go! Thanks for that.
How did u go with the W375 compared to stock?
Could u feel a solid improvement in bottom end and midrange torque? Was the car excessively loud? U have bimodals?

Car came with W375 already fitted. So cant compare to stock. I did have a stock VF2 SS before this car. But was auto, so cant compare exactly to this one being manual. But W375 does feel better. Although I think auto was easier to get power out of it in daily driving.
Was not too loud with the exhaust. For sure more than stock, but not something that would worry the neighborhood. I dont have bimodals.
Now it has cam its much louder and more aggressive sounding. My wife can hear me coming home a block away on a quiet evening.
If you like numbers ive got another dyno below which shows the stock W375 fitted and then getting a custom tune on it. Getting the W375 tuned from generic tune it comes with. Actually gave me more gains than fitting the cam.

1.jpg

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
View attachment 204177

Cam was 224/232 112lsa
Interesting.. I have the same cam specs and went from 298kw to 340kw tuned on bp ultimate. I was pretty happy with the end result considering it's a fairly mild spec cam.