Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV or Subaru WRX Premium? Your opinions please

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Because for a daily driver, I want comfort and room, not a car that is rigid taught and uncompromising like a Rex - To quote Phil the Shearer "the subby feels raw , rigid and sharp". If you want that then buy a Rex. As I said I've driven plenty of Subby's. They're Ok, but a Rex is a $25K car that costs around twice as much as it's faster than the base model IMO. If I wanted a buzz box I'd buy a Rex. They're good fun. But if I wanted a car that's equally as fast or faster in standard trim, can tow my boat with ease and get me and 3 or 4 others from one side of the country to the other in comfort and safety, with great fuel economy (relatively for such a heavy car with a big V8) then go the SSV. Oh and I rate the build quality of the VF ahead of Subby. Most Subby's I've been in as I've said before are rattle boxes.

All very good points. I agree with everything except the build quality thing. Her old imprezza has been flawless especially with things that show their age like seats, door and window seals, door catches,seat belt return springs, brakes, exhaust system corrosion,dash rattles,suspension rattles and sloppiness etc etc. In all respects it feels tight like a new car, the motor however is noticeably down on power ,although it doesn't use much oil. It's pushing on now for 300,000 kms. I think that's impressive.
She got 90,000 kms out of the first set of tyres on that car. Never any scrubbing, they came down perfectly flat. To me,that says it sits on the road perfectly.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Oh and I rate the build quality of the VF ahead of Subby. Most Subby's I've been in as I've said before are rattle boxes.

I have to disagree there, Like i said earlier in the thread ive test driven multiple VF SSV's and they all had creaks and rattles. My boss also has a VF SV6 with rattles in the doors and dash. Then you have the crappy leather in all Holdens that wears and sags along with things like sagging front bars ect ect. I have been in a few mates WRX's (the older models) and they have all felt very well put together with zero rattles with over 100k on the clock. In general Japanese and German built cars are simply better built then anything from America or Australia.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have to disagree there, Like i said earlier in the thread ive test driven multiple VF SSV's and they all had creaks and rattles. My boss also has a VF SV6 with rattles in the doors and dash. Then you have the crappy leather in all Holdens that wears and sags along with things like sagging front bars ect ect. I have been in a few mates WRX's (the older models) and they have all felt very well put together with zero rattles with over 100k on the clock. In general Japanese and German built cars are simply better built then anything from America or Australia.

Phil,
Enjoy the Rex. It sounds like your mind is made up. How's your back? As a shearer I'd recommend you spend more time in your VF ute and stay out of the bone jjjjjarrrrrring Rrreeeex.

Hey Torana,
Come and drive mine mate. I'll give you $100 for every creak groan and ratlle you find. Then we'll drive my old mans outback and we'll see the difference.
Some of you blokes are all too quick to knock Holden and Ford, and promote imported cars......Usually (not always) this is based on limited real world experience and mainly anecdotal stuff from other knockers. Buy what you like, I don't care.
But I've owned several VE's before my VF and probably travelled well in excess of 300,000k's without a single break down. All that in cars that were comfortable, powerful,fuel efficient, very safe and a pleasure to drive. You could also do the same in Ford FG's. They both just soak up the k's and tow with ease. Clearly that's not everyone's idea of quality. Let alone what they expect from a car.
No issues really worth mentioning but I do recall a blown headlight in my first SV6. I'm not debating that they're perfect, nothing is mate. But they are bloody good at delivering on what they were designed for.
If your door rubbers are creaking try Dry Lube - cost is sweet FA and will quieten the rubber to paint contact noise. It worked on Dads Outback tailgate too . Shame it didn't stop
the knock in his rear suspension that's been there since new.

Let's see what the OP has to say after he's driven his VF/s for a while.

Oh BTW seeing as Ian won't swap his GTS for my old man's sensational Subby Outback maybe you'd be interested in a straight swap? He's dying to get back into a Holden!

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I already have an Outback, and am very happy with it(even though I have no idea).
I would swap my GTS for a Rex, but the wife has different ideas on that one.

And, just to let you know, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it doesnt agree with yours.

Go the Subbie:smoking:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Phil,
Enjoy the Rex. It sounds like your mind is made up. How's your back? As a shearer I'd recommend you spend more time in your VF ute and stay out of the bone jjjjjarrrrrring Rrreeeex.

Hey Torana,
Come and drive mine mate. I'll give you $100 for every creak groan and ratlle you find. Then we'll drive my old mans outback and we'll see the difference.
Some of you blokes are all too quick to knock Holden and Ford, and promote imported cars......Usually (not always) this is based on limited real world experience and mainly anecdotal stuff from other knockers. Buy what you like, I don't care.
But I've owned several VE's before my VF and probably travelled well in excess of 300,000k's without a single break down. All that in cars that were comfortable, powerful,fuel efficient, very safe and a pleasure to drive. You could also do the same in Ford FG's. They both just soak up the k's and tow with ease. Clearly that's not everyone's idea of quality. Let alone what they expect from a car.
No issues really worth mentioning but I do recall a blown headlight in my first SV6. I'm not debating that they're perfect, nothing is mate. But they are bloody good at delivering on what they were designed for.
If your door rubbers are creaking try Dry Lube - cost is sweet FA and will quieten the rubber to paint contact noise. It worked on Dads Outback tailgate too . Shame it didn't stop
the knock in his rear suspension that's been there since new.

Let's see what the OP has to say after he's driven his VF/s for a while.

Oh BTW seeing as Ian won't swap his GTS for my old man's sensational Subby Outback maybe you'd be interested in a straight swap? He's dying to get back into a Holden!

Look obviously we have had different experiences, im a Holden guy though and though, ive owned everything from a 10 sec LX hatch to my current VE SSV. There is plenty i love about Aussies made cars but come on you cant tell me they are built better then anything from Japan or Germany. The fact ive been in three different VF SSV's from separate dealers that all had creaks and rattles is enough to convince me that the VF, even as good as it is, is not quite there yet. Don't get me wrong though, i can see myself getting a VF series 2 down the track :)

Phown

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot Wheels
Don't know if this was already mentioned but - got kids or planning on having them?

The kid seat situation in the impreza is an abortion. Well at least it was in my 09 WRX. The anchor points are in the middle of the boot thus when you install a car seat you lose a significant portion of your boot.

Personally I think things are put together a bit better in the jap cars, less rattles etc. I considered a wrx when I was buying my SS but the kid seat thing was a deal breaker for me. Not to mention the fact I have always wanted a v8 and never owned one. Puts a big smile on my face every time I put my foot down :D

Your problem is a good one to have, choosing between two awesome cars!

Gusthebear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sportwagon
The two Subaru's I've had were both put together really well and aged very gracefully (still felt new when traded at 90,000 and 50,000km) . I wouldn't say the ride in WRX is bone jarring - although it is not as plush as the SS-V. The baby seat anchor points are placed in the middle of the boot and take up heaps of space.

My only experience with Holden build quality is some old cars at work (VR, VT and a Combo). Those cars didn't age as well as the Subaru's I've had, but they all date back a long way now. I'm hoping the new VF build qualityu is good. I didn't notice any rattles etc in the 3 I test drove.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
It's interesting to hear that you've encountered rattly sloppy subaru's Cuda, I haven't heard this from anyone before, not saying it ain't so , just never heard anyone have anything but praise for Subaru build quality, but I appreciate your comments.
I'm not really knocking Aussie cars, I'm also not going to say that because a car is Japanese made it's necessarily better made either.
I also can't understand why some people think they have to buy some tiny ,gutless four cylinder pus bucket in order to achieve economical running. I think the Holden sv6 is an incredibly good car that rivals many four cylinder jobs for fuel economy,my sv6 ute would usually get better economy than the missus' imprezza and had way more power.
I had a perfect run with my ve ute, absolutely loved it.
All these issues cropping up with the vf however ,have got me a little concerned,I guess it's pretty normal with a brand new model,usually things get better a couple of years in,with the most trouble free cars coming at the end of a model cycle.
Trouble is there won't be a next model and all of holdens assembly line workers already have their marching orders.
Being human ,I guess it's not unreasonable to expect those people to dramatically lower their care factor.
I'm prepared for whatever happens ,if anything bad does happen,with my new ute, I will work through it and hopefully be happy.
My missus however,isn't the type to put up with an expensive lemon should she be unfortunate enough to get one, that's why I think she would be better off with a Subaru. from our experience with the imprezza and talking to lots of people who own a suby, we figure it would most likely be a problem free car.
Having not driven an older model Rex, I can only say that I feel this new one is comfortable enough, while the suspension feel is quite firm , the seating is definitely more comfortable in it than our old imprezza.
This car will be her car, she is paying for it, it will probably be her last car, it won't get driven all that much. I will be driving it sometimes. We will use the ute for long trips and we don't have any kids.
It's all about our mid life crisis. I want a v8 Holden ute before they stop making them and she needs a new car that in her words "is sporty, got some power, has leather interior and is going to last"
I'm in favour of the Rex because it ticks most of her boxes and selfishly, I'm gonna get to drive it,especially on our trips across mount Gotham down into Gippsland!!!
I really don't know what she's gonna do now, she has this bad habit of ruling out options without even pausing to think about it and she is remarkably stubborn! She's ruled out the Subaru now because it scares her, which I personally think is ridiculous.
I will be quite happy if she buys the ssv instead, but I'm gonna have to head for the man cave and lock the door if she has any trouble with it.
I appreciate everyone's comments, it's given me a more balanced view.
I'm really over this whole new car thing with her, it's like getting a tooth pulled!
I'm picking up my new ute on Saturday and I can't wait!

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
It's interesting to hear that you've encountered rattly sloppy subaru's Cuda, I haven't heard this from anyone before, not saying it ain't so , just never heard anyone have anything but praise for Subaru build quality, but I appreciate your comments.
I'm not really knocking Aussie cars, I'm also not going to say that because a car is Japanese made it's necessarily better made either.
I also can't understand why some people think they have to buy some tiny ,gutless four cylinder pus bucket in order to achieve economical running. I think the Holden sv6 is an incredibly good car that rivals many four cylinder jobs for fuel economy,my sv6 ute would usually get better economy than the missus' imprezza and had way more power.
I had a perfect run with my ve ute, absolutely loved it.
All these issues cropping up with the vf however ,have got me a little concerned,I guess it's pretty normal with a brand new model,usually things get better a couple of years in,with the most trouble free cars coming at the end of a model cycle.
Trouble is there won't be a next model and all of holdens assembly line workers already have their marching orders.
Being human ,I guess it's not unreasonable to expect those people to dramatically lower their care factor.
I'm prepared for whatever happens ,if anything bad does happen,with my new ute, I will work through it and hopefully be happy.
My missus however,isn't the type to put up with an expensive lemon should she be unfortunate enough to get one, that's why I think she would be better off with a Subaru. from our experience with the imprezza and talking to lots of people who own a suby, we figure it would most likely be a problem free car.
Having not driven an older model Rex, I can only say that I feel this new one is comfortable enough, while the suspension feel is quite firm , the seating is definitely more comfortable in it than our old imprezza.
This car will be her car, she is paying for it, it will probably be her last car, it won't get driven all that much. I will be driving it sometimes. We will use the ute for long trips and we don't have any kids.
It's all about our mid life crisis. I want a v8 Holden ute before they stop making them and she needs a new car that in her words "is sporty, got some power, has leather interior and is going to last"
I'm in favour of the Rex because it ticks most of her boxes and selfishly, I'm gonna get to drive it,especially on our trips across mount Hotham down into Gippsland!!!
I really don't know what she's gonna do now, she has this bad habit of ruling out options without even pausing to think about it and she is remarkably stubborn! She's ruled out the Subaru now because it scares her, which I personally think is ridiculous.
I will be quite happy if she buys the ssv instead, but I'm gonna have to head for the man cave and lock the door if she has any trouble with it.
I appreciate everyone's comments, it's given me a more balanced view.
I'm really over this whole new car thing with her, it's like getting a tooth pulled!
I'm picking up my new ute on Saturday and I can't wait!

noboot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sedan
Has she thought about a Forrester XT or a Toyota/Subaru 86/BRZ?