Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf ssv redline 2013

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Hey everyone,
Was looking at purchasing a vf ssv 2013 redline auto. Just wanting to know if it has afm? I drive approx 120km of fwy daily. Ive heard 4 cyclinders deactivate on fwys. If so would he sv6 series would be worse on fuel? Being that all 6 are on all the time?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Yes if it's a 6lt auto, it has AFM. And no, the SV6 will be better on fuel over the combined drive cycle.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
But the SV6 is gutless compared to the big 8.

The V8 will have AFM Active Fuel Management (4 cylinder deactivation) and that model year can run e85 ethanol fuel where as the SV6 cannot.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
But the SV6 is gutless compared to the big 8.

The V8 will have AFM Active Fuel Management (4 cylinder deactivation) and that model year can run e85 ethanol fuel where as the SV6 cannot.
210 Kw is not really gutless.
Not as powerful as V8 but no issues on power.

I guess its like saying a you cant buy the 6.0l Na because the Supercharged LSA is more powerful.
I purchased the Calais V6 and no issues on power. Tow a boat ,trailers and drive on the F3 Sydney Newcastle again no issues.

If I found a V8 Calais I might have bought if the price was right :)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The V6 is like a rocket after driving a 4 cylinder. The V8 is awesome but low down the V6 may have better power in traffic. But saying that you cannot wipe the smile off your face when driving a V8.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
For the weight of the vehicle the 3.6l engine could use more.
Same era Falcons coupled a turbo to the 4.0l inline 6. Why they never released a turbo sv6 or supercharged sv6 remains a mystery to me.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Ford's I6 never needed a turbo, they just had no decent V8 in the early 2000s which made it necessary to work on the six. Until the VFII LS3, the XR6Ts smoked every previous SS. My old FG turbo did 12s right out of the box, certainly wouldn't be comparing them to an SV6, they were a HSV eater. The VF V6s are pretty potent as they are, much better than the VEs even though Holden aren't claiming any more output. Same engine did close to 250kw in Cadillacs, Holden probably underrating them slightly in VF. Comparable low end to the 6.0, in a straight line there really isn't a huge deal between them. Have owned VF series I and II SSs, the LS3 is a shed load quicker than the V6 but the 6.0 not really.

Regarding OPs question, yes the AFM 6.0s are really good on the highway, much thirstier than the six around town though. Also a comment earlier implied the SV6s didn't take E85 but they did. Both V8 and V6 were flex fuel until MY15.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just wanting to know if it has afm? I drive approx 120km of fwy daily. Ive heard 4 cyclinders deactivate on fwys. If so would he sv6 series would be worse on fuel? Being that all 6 are on all the time?
Yes it's a rare car, detuned and full of potential. Out of the box it has great economy for a five metre two tonne cruise ship.
Being V8, AFM, long gears it is meant to eat up the freeway miles, being an SSV has the suspension and handling to enjoy it as well. Exactly why I choose either a '13 or '14 VF1 SSV over any other model variant.
I think highway cycle the high compression VVT squad cam SV6 vs V8 is actually similar consumption when using premium petrol, but consumption using flex fuel does favour the enhanced low RPM torque plateau of the V8.
The main issue is that the V8 is massively (>30%) detuned to meet emissions and noise, whereas V6 is fairly maxed out. For example I did same sort of tech treatment to the V8 (high comp, VVT) and tuned the DFCO, AFM to suit, and regularly hit 5l/100k and average 7.7l/100k Goldie to Coffs.
Don't understand the comments above regarding performance around town? Might feel zippier (not a good thing IMO) but 6.0 V8 holds its own at lights without making a fuss (no spin, one change).
Efficient power is there from crawl, feels more relaxed - speedo is reality check:

Last edited: