Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV redline 6.0 pinging?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
It says it's not there but it does work for me if I click it. Don't know how I supposedly moved the damn file, I just put it there!

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Try this one
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums...-A510-469A-A86E-E2B3196F5FC6_zpsa6kjdhxg.mp4]
th_trim.06197EE4-A510-469A-A86E-E2B3196F5FC6_zpsa6kjdhxg.mp4

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just played two different versions of your uploaded vid on my desktop with good speakers turned up full noise. Although they looked and sounded the same. Had to click on the download hyperlink on the right. Anyway at idle I could not hear anything even remotely like pinging. I'd suspect a heat shield rattle. Mine did and when I inspected it one on the drivers side had some road gravel (blue metal) stuck under it. I removed the stones and no more noise.

I find with the dealers (only referring to Wagga Motors here) that you have to be quite assertive and know a bit about the issue. Having said that I've had stuff all issues with this car, more talking about previous models. If you went in there blind, I think it could be quite frustrating. Still they are far better than Hillis Ford here in Wagga were with my lemon of a Territory Diesel.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
It's definately not a heat shield rattle, the recordings really don't do it justice, probably limited by the quality of iphone recording capabilities. It doesn't do it at idle, it doesn't do it when free revving in nuetral or park, can only be induced when the throttle is touched in gear whilst driving and it doesn't matter how much load. The second the throttle is touched the 'ping' comes in and gets a little worse as the throttle is increased or engine loaded, the very second the throttle is released it goes away. It's not loud enough to hear under heavy acceleration so can't be sure it's there under those conditions. It can be repeated every time without fail, which also leads me away from the heat shield rattle theory. It does appear to be getting worse as time goes on.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Know anyone with any tuning software who can log the car and see if it's actually seeing any KR?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Try taking off in second and then in third and see if it gets worse in each higher gear. If it is pinging that bad I wouldn't be driving it. Mine has never pinged at all.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
these days the ecu will predict it before it even happens especially if its happening so easily and u wont hear a thing, only time ive see mine knock is when logging otherwise i have never herd it physically, if its knocking so bad u can hear it then there should be some fault codes from the ecu not being able to control it saying the knock sensors are faulty, u need to get some kind of data logging on there to find out

ozziii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
How did you go with the pinging noise, my brother just got a new MY15 SSV ute with auto & it has the same noise you are explaining, I haven't listened to your video's but I don't have to, I was thinking either pinging or maybe exhaust leak somewhere but I don't know much about them so don't really know.
The first tank was a freeby from Holden so only regular unleaded but since then its all been premium, done about 2200 kays so far & the noise was the same with both fuels & is still the same now. Had the Holden mechanics listen & one of them drove around the back car yard but couldn't hear it, not much room to excellerate there though, need to go for a drive with them & try to see if they hear it then, its not that hard to hear if everything else is quiet.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
I had it booked in for the 7th of January. I dropped it in the afternoon of the 6th. I went through with them what they thought it was, politely explained that I disagreed with them and told them I had personally taken the drive belts off and driven the car, with the noise still present, which eliminates their theory/guess that it's belt or pulley noise. I told them I don't want it back Til it's fixed, I don't have time to stuff around driving it to see if they fixed it and then have to rebook with a three week wait, and I'm not comfortable driving it given I consider it is pinging. Tomorrow will be day 3 and I haven't heard anything. I'll ring them tomorrow to see what's happening.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
Well the dealership has just dug themself a hole. I walked in all happy this morning (I was driving past so thought I would pop in to see what they had found). After having the car for almost three full days they tell me no one has looked at it as the person who heard the noise is off sick. I'm fed the bullshit line (word for word) "that she is the only one qualified to look at the problem with your vehicle" if I hadn't been so pissed off I probably would have rolled around on the floor laughing. I asked for someone else to come for a drive with me and I'm told they are all too busy. So after waiting three weeks for a booking and then the car sitting for three days without one phone call they can't even spare one person to come for a drive. I'm normally the worlds second most patient man but after being fed this utter bs I rang holden customer assistance and made a complaint. So far they have been great. I'm guessing it's been put in the too hard basket in preference for cashing in for cracking sump plugs.